PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OOC 2018

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OOC 2018

Postby redpony » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:44 pm

comment is based upon our current ooc (which I think even you would admit is effing weak) and our current success with the top level recruits we have lost.

but then again I am sure you have a direct line to our ad and bball coach so you are totally informed.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:38 am

redpony wrote:comment is based upon our current ooc (which I think even you would admit is effing weak) and our current success with the top level recruits we have lost.

but then again I am sure you have a direct line to our ad and bball coach so you are totally informed.

We haven't released our current OOC, nor have their been appreciable leaks. None of us know anything. That's very different than proclaiming it weak and an indictment of staff or whomever. IF it sucks, I'll say it sucks. Until then, it's unknown. SMU doesn't release schedules ever, at the rate of the rest of the country.

The only recruit we've lost to another school of equal stature is Torres. WHo are these other top level recruits we keep losing? Chances are most you are thinking went to more profile schools in bigger, better conferences. If you want to call Kennedy a miss, fine, but he wouldn't have been here by December with his Dad. Sometimes you win for losing.

I'm not saying everything is all unicorns and roses, but we're pretty set for '18 and it's a good squad on paper. I'll beat up the staff if '19 overwhelms them. Its a pretty big recruiting year, as it stands now.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:44 am

Well what's your projection for losses this year ?

One Trick Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:06 am

One Trick Pony wrote:Well what's your projection for losses this year ?

I’ll lose a little hair.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:48 am

TCU @ SMU Dec 5th
Pony ^

Postby FriscoPMG » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:04 pm

Pony ^ wrote:TCU @ SMU Dec 5th

And then TCU plays USC 2 nights later (in LA)...
http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/tcu-m-baskbl-sched.html

Looks like they could face Colorado or UNLV in the Diamond Head championship and then they have Florida in the SEC/B12 Challenge.

Hopefully we'll see our full OOC schedule soon!
FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:00 am

FriscoPMG wrote:
Pony ^ wrote:TCU @ SMU Dec 5th

And then TCU plays USC 2 nights later (in LA)...
http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/tcu-m-baskbl-sched.html

Looks like they could face Colorado or UNLV in the Diamond Head championship and then they have Florida in the SEC/B12 Challenge.

Hopefully we'll see our full OOC schedule soon!

http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... l-mtt.html

Seventeen on their roster....and all those redshirts! Lots of questions for the froggies underneath, where they killed us last year. Solid, deep backcourt.

Let's hope we can fill out our roster as well has Dixon has...beginning now!
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby papawasamustang » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:06 am

We had a chance to watch TCU practice a couple of weeks ago @ their team camp. Dixon ran a great camp, & their team was very impressive. They are loaded, & this will be an L for SMU.
It looks like TCU hit a home run with Dixon, doing for hoops what Patterson did for football. Hiring Cross from UTA was s great move as well.
SMU is really missing out by not having a team camp.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby Dutch » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:38 am

papawasamustang wrote:We had a chance to watch TCU practice a couple of weeks ago @ their team camp. Dixon ran a great camp, & their team was very impressive. They are loaded, & this will be an L for SMU.
It looks like TCU hit a home run with Dixon, doing for hoops what Patterson did for football. Hiring Cross from UTA was s great move as well.

no, we do other things. like sending the team to canada last year to play their top teams, and this year, sending Whitt and Mike to play on the USA East Coast team (coached by LB no less) against the u-25 teams from Italy, Netherlands, Chech repub. and Germany.

Chaggy and Douglas (and possibly Ray depending on his foot) are also slated to go play on another european 'tour'.

but yeah, we should just have a few glorified practices instead of playing top tier international competition.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:56 am

^^^thanks for that info. I had not heard about the off-season activities other than practices.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Mustangsabu » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:15 am

Dutch wrote:
papawasamustang wrote:We had a chance to watch TCU practice a couple of weeks ago @ their team camp. Dixon ran a great camp, & their team was very impressive. They are loaded, & this will be an L for SMU.

no, we do other things. like sending the team to canada last year to play their top teams, and this year, sending Whitt and Mike to play on the USA East Coast team (coached by LB no less) against the u-25 teams from Italy, Netherlands, Chech repub. and Germany.

Chaggy and Douglas (and possibly Ray depending on his foot) are also slated to go play on another european 'tour'.

but yeah, we should just have a few glorified practices instead of playing top tier international competition.

This truly fascinates me. Why would news of those activities not be on the smumustangs website? That sounds like a great deal and yet the fanbase is totally in the dark, unless they go to pay sites perhaps. Am I missing somewhere where SMU provides this kind of news?
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby papawasamustang » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:04 pm

Dutch wrote:

Great info. BTW, the team camp was not a camp of little ballers running around. It was a camp featuring over 300 top AAU & HS teams from all over the region. Dixon & Cross had a front row seat in their own gym to every top prospect that attended. In addition, the team practice was very impressive. Dixon made the comment how much he appreciated his team making the special effort to attend the practice, breaking away from the same type of activities the SMU players were involved in this summer.
So not a glorified practice @ all. Dixon did have to leave early to go to Argentina to recruit the 17U USA team featuring the likes of R J Hamption, etc.. Just saying there is no doubt Dixon is building a top 20 program like the Patterson did.
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:16 am

Patterson inherited a top 20 program from Franchione and improved on it. A better analogy might be that Dixon could be a Franchione if he's able to sustain success. BTW, he's no where near the level of success we've had the last few years, so let's not be crowning the enemy just yet.
ponyboy

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:21 pm

ponyboy wrote:BTW, he's no where near the level of success we've had the last few years, so let's not be crowning the enemy just yet.

True. Dixon is only 0-1 in the tournament and we are 0-2.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:34 pm

Glad to know I don't need to go to the SMU-TCU game this year since TCU is going to win because they looked so good in practice.. :roll:

Dixon is doing a great job at TCU, but I will wait to see how both teams play against outside competition before I start making some predictions.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball