PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OOC 2018

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

OOC 2018

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:17 pm

We get the dirty froggies at Moody. No doubt a fun one. Other than that, a lot unknown.....

I really wish we’d try to get another home-and-home with the Zags.

My wishlist - TCU (never stop), Zags, any of (Baylor, TT, A&M), USC and one national power.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: OOC 2018

Postby RI Stang » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:38 am

Many of the tourneys around Thanksgiving have already announced their fields and we are nowhere to be found thus far. Really hope we find our way in one, even a lower level one, as those provide invaluable opportunities for resume boosters on neutral courts.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby PonyTime » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:16 am

Definitely want to see some of those listed above - - Would also love to see some mid-level teams in mid level conferences rather than the bottom dweller directionals that no-one has heard of...

Teams like:

Richmond
Saint Louis
Marquette (big east not mid level - but would be interesting with pringles)
La Tech
Bradley
Illinois State
UNLV
Fresno State
Navy
Denver
BYU

Even the body-bag games could be far more interesting... UTEP, Air Force, Pepperdine, UMASS...
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:47 pm

This is the first time I can remember in the new era of SMU Basketball that we haven’t had the second half of a H&H already set, and no new H&Hs announced. I know it is still 7-8 months out but these are usually set before the year of.

Again the TCU game should be massive for many reasons, but we need another high-profile OOC matchup at Moody. At this point, I’ll take any high-profile OOC road games, too.

I think in previous years the appeal of having LB visit other school’s arena was a huge selling point to get H&Hs with Michigan, Zags, USC and Stanford. Obviously that’s gone.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby PonyTime » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:19 pm

Also - add Rice to that list of "more interesting body bag games".

Sadly - if we did get Baylor, Texas, A&M, etc on the schedule, it is likely that we would not see the same home court advantage that we had against those strong teams OOC the last few years. You would see enough Horns/Baylor/Aggies in Moody to actually make some noise for the opposing team.

Thanks a lot 2018 Re-seat Plan!

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby skyscraper » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:20 pm

I knew all of our H&H's were rolling off, but I'm surprised we didn't announce a holiday tournament. Most of the notable ones have already filled up and announced their lineups.
Odd drop off on all accounts at the moment.
skyscraper

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:00 pm

just another reason to go the stubhub route with no marquee home games besides TCU and AAC play...just sayin'
Pony ^

Postby smupony94 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:23 pm

Pony ^ wrote:just another reason to go the stubhub route with no marquee home games besides TCU and AAC play...just sayin'

Please advise
smupony94

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:47 pm

PonyTime wrote:Also - add Rice to that list of "more interesting body bag games".

Sadly - if we did get Baylor, Texas, A&M, etc on the schedule, it is likely that we would not see the same home court advantage that we had against those strong teams OOC the last few years. You would see enough Horns/Baylor/Aggies in Moody to actually make some noise for the opposing team.

Thanks a lot 2018 Re-seat Plan!

Rice would be smart to drop FB and marshal all their resorces towards BB. And I agree they along with NTSU and UTA are better body bag games than most. At least there would be more local coverage.

As for marquee, I would include Arky, LSU and UCLA.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SMU Section F » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:02 pm

smupony94 wrote:
Pony ^ wrote:just another reason to go the stubhub route with no marquee home games besides TCU and AAC play...just sayin'

Please advise

I think he's just saying tickets will be even easier to get without any "marquee" games on the schedule. Probably true. USC was a hot ticket this year.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:09 pm

SMU Section F wrote:
smupony94 wrote:

Please advise

I think he's just saying tickets will be even easier to get without any "marquee" games on the schedule. Probably true. USC was a hot ticket this year.

https://youtu.be/BPlsqo2bk2M
One Trick Pony

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:18 pm

SMU Section F wrote:
smupony94 wrote:

Please advise

Correct. With no marquee games, we will be able to get into every game for the minimum $6 on stubhub.
Pony ^

Postby SMU Section F » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:40 pm

Pony ^ wrote:
SMU Section F wrote:

Correct. With no marquee games, we will be able to get into every game for the minimum $6 on stubhub.

TCU will probably be somewhat in demand, but that's about it. Nowhere near the level of USC, Gonzaga, or Michigan.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:09 pm

Have we named the other games?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby PonyTime » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:10 pm

You would think that they would perhaps start to leak possible OOC possibilities so that the fan base could get excited. Perhaps at the next re-seat meeting on the 21st?

There are more leaks at the White House these days than the SMU athletic Department.

And I fear that Frog Fans might start showing up at Moody with easy access to tickets.

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Basketball