PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OOC 2018

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OOC 2018

Postby Pony ^ » Fri May 25, 2018 8:58 am

JasonB wrote:
RI Stang wrote:Not a very good field. I am definitely concerned about our schedule this year, surely there are some high quality opponents (home or away) that just haven't been announced yet for some reason?

We have a lot of unknowns on the team this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Jank is scheduling down a little bit to allow the team to come together early.

straight from the playbook of TCU
Pony ^
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri May 25, 2018 9:23 am

100 murders since the beginning of the year in Cancun alone do not travel here.

I cannot believe SMU will take a risk with this such a small upside.Image
One Trick Pony

Postby smupony94 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:09 am

One Trick Pony wrote:100 murders since the beginning of the year in Cancun alone do not travel here.

I cannot believe SMU will take a risk with this such a small upside.Image

Sponsor a Pointe West tourney
smupony94

Postby mrydel » Fri May 25, 2018 10:47 am

I have a daughter and her husband in Cancun right now.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri May 25, 2018 10:52 am

Yeah well sometimes you ignore these things and sometimes they're very real.

After working in Acapulco for 8 years I know how it starts I Know How It Ends.

I wouldn't travel to Cancun on a free trip right now. Drug cartels are fighting the government the tourism industry and all at all cost for Turf. The result is it is not a safe place to travel. That is the OTP travel warning believe it it's real.

Cabo San Lucas in the Baja tip is beginning to have its troubles as well I was just there for a week. Lorenzo says tourism is down 60%. 5 years ago this place was untouched with such cartel problems but they're coming over by ferry from Sinaloa . On a recent walk through the marina with him he said just look around where are all the people.

I still felt fairly safe and would travel back to this region. People won't fly in late at night because they don't want to travel to the hotels late. A couple I met having a cocktail said their were 13 of them on a 777 on the red eye. That should give you a clue
Last edited by One Trick Pony on Fri May 25, 2018 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
One Trick Pony

Postby mrydel » Fri May 25, 2018 11:09 am

I was not real happy to see her going there, but I believe they have connections there that hopefully keep them out of harms way.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Fri May 25, 2018 12:30 pm

Why go to Cancun when you can cruise to Cozumel-I've never felt the slightest concern in Cozumel
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri May 25, 2018 12:31 pm

Stallion wrote:Why go to Cancun when you can cruise to Cozumel-I've never felt the slightest concern in Cozumel

That's because you're hanging out at Three Amigos
One Trick Pony

Postby RI Stang » Fri May 25, 2018 1:09 pm

JasonB wrote:
RI Stang wrote:Not a very good field. I am definitely concerned about our schedule this year, surely there are some high quality opponents (home or away) that just haven't been announced yet for some reason?

We have a lot of unknowns on the team this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Jank is scheduling down a little bit to allow the team to come together early.

I sure hope not. That can work in a conference like the Big 12, but for the AAC (especially in what looks to be a down year with all of the guys leaving early for the draft) it will more likely leave you having to win the conference tourney to get in.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Stallion » Fri May 25, 2018 3:49 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:
Stallion wrote:Why go to Cancun when you can cruise to Cozumel-I've never felt the slightest concern in Cozumel

http://www.cozumelnachicocom.com/
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri May 25, 2018 6:22 pm

Stallion wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:

http://www.cozumelnachicocom.com/

Haven't been to that one but the other two are pretty nice $40 for a cab ride there and back is steep. Cartel is there in strength too

Mr. Pancho's and Paradise Beach
One Trick Pony

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:50 am

Rothstein's tweet a little while ago said it best. Something along the lines of if you don't have a good OOC with a few strong matchups, you have already left yourself out of the tournament on selection Sunday. Hoping we don't fall into this category
Pony ^

Postby RI Stang » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:18 pm

Pony ^ wrote:Rothstein's tweet a little while ago said it best. Something along the lines of if you don't have a good OOC with a few strong matchups, you have already left yourself out of the tournament on selection Sunday. Hoping we don't fall into this category

Exactly. Even if you think you're not going to have a particularly strong year, by NOT scheduling well you seriously damage your tourney hopes even if you do surprise. I don't get that thought process or the upside in playing a weak schedule.

Will reserve judgment of course until our schedule comes out, but concerned at this point with the lack of news on that front (unless I've missed it, only aware of the Cancun tourney and TCU).
RI Stang
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:38 pm

Pony ^ wrote:Rothstein's tweet a little while ago said it best. Something along the lines of if you don't have a good OOC with a few strong matchups, you have already left yourself out of the tournament on selection Sunday. Hoping we don't fall into this category

I don't know about you, but I'm feeling 22 wins at a minimum will be necessary with our supposed schedule to even sniff the tournament this season.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:02 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:

I don't know about you, but I'm feeling 22 wins at a minimum will be necessary with our supposed schedule to even sniff the tournament this season.

Close Lathon and there will be no worries.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball