PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

AAC NIT/NCAA Tourney thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: AAC NIT/NCAA Tourney thread

Postby CA Mustang » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:42 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
Stallion wrote:PAC 12 really does suck. Buffalo manhandled Arizona-25 right now with 1 minute left and it doesn't even look like an upset. Buffalo a No. 13 seed is better. I think the AAC is a tougher conference

Can't believe it but SMU only dropped to No. 65 in Sagarin despite 17-16 record-how is that possible?

And let's not forget USC got a one seed in the NIT but struggled to beat UNC-Asheville in Los Angeles in OT. Really is a down year for the PAC-12

I watched that game and UNC-Asheville deserves some credit. Even after traveling cross-country on short notice, they shot the ball very well for about 3/4 of the game. Not having Metu reduced USC's size advantage, but Rakocevic responded with a 24 point 19 rebound game.

Regardless, USC won and will host Western Kentucky (who beat Boston College) Monday night.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU Section F » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:13 pm

A&M looking strong against Providence. Not sure if we were ever really "in" on any of them, but lots of familiar names.

Wichita State down late in the first. Helped out by a bad T on Marshall though.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby SMU Section F » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:20 pm

SMU Section F wrote:Wichita State down late in the first. Helped out by a bad T on Marshall though.

Wichita State making the most of the final minutes and going into half up 37-34.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby SMU Section F » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:46 pm

And Cincinnati up 5 going into half. I don't think Georgia State is going anywhere though.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:02 pm

SMU Section F wrote:
Stallion wrote:PAC 12 really does suck. Buffalo manhandled Arizona-25 right now with 1 minute left and it doesn't even look like an upset. Buffalo a No. 13 seed is better. I think the AAC is a tougher conference

No doubt. The AAC is a great basketball conference. I'm really hoping this is the year our teams actually prove it... other than 2014 UConn, the NCAA tournament performance has been terrible.

I'm (begrudgingly) happy for Houston. Gonna be cheering hard for Cincinnati and Wichita State tomorrow.

I wouldn't be too quick to declare the AAC a "great" basketball conference. Good...yes, but let's beat some P5 schools in this tourney before we declare the AAC much improved
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU Section F » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:08 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
SMU Section F wrote:

No doubt. The AAC is a great basketball conference. I'm really hoping this is the year our teams actually prove it... other than 2014 UConn, the NCAA tournament performance has been terrible.

I'm (begrudgingly) happy for Houston. Gonna be cheering hard for Cincinnati and Wichita State tomorrow.

I wouldn't be too quick to declare the AAC a "great" basketball conference. Good...yes, but let's beat some P5 schools in this tourney before we declare the AAC much improved

Maybe I should have said "could be a great basketball conference", but yeah, that's exactly what we have to do.
SMU Section F
Heisman

AAC NIT/NCAA Tourney thread

Postby PonySnob » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:26 pm

Shockers getting shocked
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby SMU Section F » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:38 pm

If I'm a WSU fan that OOB call makes me livid, especially after review.

But that's not why they're gonna lose.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby SMU Section F » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:46 pm

Wichita State is toast. At least Cincinnati is taking care of business now.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:46 pm

It was obviously touched last by Marshall but WSU has really under performed
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby skyscraper » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:47 pm

Underwhelming performance by Wichita.
skyscraper

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:53 pm

skyscraper wrote:Underwhelming performance by Wichita.

Those obnoxious Shocker fans are just getting destroyed on the CSN board. Some really funny stuff.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:57 pm

mrydel wrote:It was obviously touched last by Marshall but WSU has really under performed

I thought it was pretty obvious because WSU player was reaching towards the foul line and the ball goes out on the baseline so to me it was obvious the Marshall player was last "finger" to touch that ball. Huge call at that point in the game, but I agree WSU deserved to lose that game. They were not all that they were billed to be coming into this season.
Charleston Pony

Postby smitty329 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:44 pm

SMU Section F wrote:SMU's most recent NCAA tournament win is from 1988.
TCU's most recent NCAA tournament win is from 1987.

They better [deleted] lose tomorrow.

Let's go ORANGE!!!
smitty329
All-American

Postby SMU Section F » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:49 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
mrydel wrote:It was obviously touched last by Marshall but WSU has really under performed

I thought it was pretty obvious because WSU player was reaching towards the foul line and the ball goes out on the baseline so to me it was obvious the Marshall player was last "finger" to touch that ball. Huge call at that point in the game, but I agree WSU deserved to lose that game. They were not all that they were billed to be coming into this season.

Bummed to see Shaq Morris go out like that. He was a fun player to watch. Shamet, McDuffie, and Reaves give them a decent base to work from, but I don't follow them closely enough to know what the starting lineup will look like next year. I think they get the benefit of the doubt that they'll be competing for the conference championship most years though. (I guess I'd have said that about Memphis and UConn just a few years ago... so nothing is ever guaranteed.)
SMU Section F
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball