PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Dallas NCAA Games "Hosted By Big 12"

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Dallas NCAA Games "Hosted By Big 12"

Postby c0wsumer » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:41 pm

Why not SMU?
c0wsumer

Re: Dallas NCAA Games "Hosted By Big 12"

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:03 pm

Even when they were at Reunion Arena back in the 80s they were always hosted by the Southwest Conference - when every single other site was hosted by a school.

It makes no sense for as much as we try to brand ourselves as Dallas' team why we don't step up and have something like this hosted by SMU (assuming it is even possible in this P5 world).
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby okcponyfan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:40 pm

I might be wrong but the "host" school can't play game at the site. So if SMU hosted at American Airlines Center they wouldn't be able to play there.
Had things gone better this year many were hoping to play there. obviously that didnt happen
okcponyfan
Varsity

Postby SMU Section F » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:24 pm

I've also heard a number of times that SMU has no interest in hosting events like this. Never heard an explanation.

I'd love to: 1) know if that's true; and 2) get an explanation, if it is.

That said, it's very possible the explanation is a reasonable one. Events like this are often not worth the hassle/expenditure, but I don't know anything about the logistics...
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:35 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Even when they were at Reunion Arena back in the 80s they were always hosted by the Southwest Conference - when every single other site was hosted by a school.

It makes no sense for as much as we try to brand ourselves as Dallas' team why we don't step up and have something like this hosted by SMU (assuming it is even possible in this P5 world).

Not sure but I saw Duquesne hosting in Pittsburgh so I don’t think its just a P5 thing. I also recall Rice hosting in Houston recently and/or in the future.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby SMU Section F » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:44 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:
DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Even when they were at Reunion Arena back in the 80s they were always hosted by the Southwest Conference - when every single other site was hosted by a school.

Not sure but I saw Duquesne hosting in Pittsburgh so I don’t think its just a P5 thing. I also recall Rice hosting in Houston recently and/or in the future.

Boise State is also hosting the games in Boise, ID as we speak.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby longbuzzer » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:21 am

Would be expensive. We would have to reseat the reseat.
longbuzzer
Junior Varsity

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:45 am

longbuzzer wrote: reseat the reseat.

It'll happen.
Bergermeister

Postby RI Stang » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:39 am

Bergermeister wrote:
longbuzzer wrote: reseat the reseat.

It'll happen.

We can only hope - need something fresh to complain about around here. Although, have to say the [deleted] about no marquee games on next year's schedule, when the schedule won't even be announced for months, might be my new favorite.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:47 am

SMU Section F wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:

Boise State is also hosting the games in Boise, ID as we speak.

Right- Wichita State, too. I was referencing schools hosting in cities with a P5 presence.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:58 am

What's the point of hosting? So our logo is in the corner of the court? Sounds like a waste of money to me
Pony ^

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:10 am

Pony ^ wrote:What's the point of hosting? So our logo is in the corner of the court? Sounds like a waste of money to me

As mentioned earlier we spend so much money and energy already to try to brand SMU as Dallas' team. No idea if the cost is worth it but it sure would go a long way to marketing that idea on a very visible national level.

Having these games hosted by the Big 12-2 just makes it more painfully obvious we are not Dallas' team - not to mention all of the local coverage of the froggies tournament participation which frankly makes me want to vomit.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ponyboy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:33 am

Can say it's a "waste of money" if you don't know a)what it would cost and b)what the expected return would be.
ponyboy

Postby SMU Section F » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:17 pm

With the Big 12 being headquartered in Dallas, it might be tough for SMU to host even if we are interested. But I'm really not sure what the process looks like; I'd be interested to learn.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby dr. rick » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:31 pm

this is not surprising to me at all. i was told by one of the partners of the Dallas wings (WNBA team) that they approached SMU (Moody) to be the location for the team. SMU turned them down, even though SMU was offered a 7 figure donation to make it happen, so now they are at UT-Arlington. don't know the details of the contract though. The stated reason was parking and disruption of the campus.
dr. rick
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Basketball