PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Shake Draft Status

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Shake Draft Status

Postby mustangxc » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:31 pm

Examples of players going early in the first round coming from non-P5 conferences.

Damian Lillard - Weber State - 6th overall in 2012
Stephen Curry - Davidson - 7th overall in 2009
Paul George - Fresno State - 10th overall in 2010
CJ McCollum - Lehigh - 10th overall in 2013
Tyreke Evans - Memphis - 4th overall in 2009
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby deucetz » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:11 pm

PonyFan32 wrote:
deucetz wrote:
SMU Section F wrote:I think if people are telling him there's a realistic chance of a contract, even if he goes a little later, then he needs to be gone. Too much at stake to risk another year playing for free.

How many non-P5 seniors get drafted in the first round? What is your basis that he goes in the first round next year?

P5 isn't as meaningful in basketball. Plus the player measurements and skills will matter a lot more than conference affiliation. Saying shake is akin to non-P5 seniors is a meaningless comparison. He is a 6'6"+ guard with handles and elite shooting. That's what matters to the league.

I’m making the point that there aren’t many seniors that get drafted in the first round, and it’s even more for non-P5 seniors. You are correct that conference affiliation is meaningless for individuals but if you read scouting evaluations, level of competition is always questioned for non-P5 players—especially if you don’t play top programs out of conference or go far in the tournament.
deucetz
All-American

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:44 pm

I heard he isn't coming back because he doesn't like the new seating arrangements.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:56 pm

Terry Webster wrote:I heard he isn't coming back because he doesn't like the new seating arrangements.

That's the word on the street.
Bergermeister

Postby mrydel » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:57 pm

Terry Webster wrote:I heard he isn't coming back because he doesn't like the new seating arrangements.

This is correct. He wants the same seat on the bench but is not assured even after agreeing to up his points per game. If McMurray pledges to score more even though being here for less time, Shake may lose his seat.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:02 am

mrydel wrote:

This is correct. He wants the same seat on the bench but is not assured even after agreeing to up his points per game. If McMurray pledges to score more even though being here for less time, Shake may lose his seat.

Pretty good analogy. :)
Bergermeister

Postby PonyTime » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:03 am

PonyLawExpress wrote:I expect he will get a projection of going anywhere from 25-40. Could be a bit better or a bit worse. I would guess he is 95% gone, but 2 months ago I would have said 99.9% so there is a chance.

Good news Mustang Club - there is now a 5% chance that I make a donation and purchase season tickets next year vs. the .1% chance 2 months ago. So there is a chance.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:48 am

Any truth to the rumor that the FBI is investigating the reseat?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby RI Stang » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:02 pm

Back to Shake - some interesting comments here on where he stands (they list him at #41):

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/03/20/nba-d ... 18032012PM
RI Stang
All-American

Postby PonyTime » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:23 pm

In the last SI analysis he was projected as a first rounder. He dropped 20 places and to #42 (Biggest drop of any player they had projected in 1st round last time).

Hope it is a "out of sight out of mind" thing.

Also - this one also shows Frazier from Tulane going before shake and rising from undrafted to drafted at #41.

I really don't trust these things at all - but basketball beatwriters from SI likely know more than I do about these things.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:54 pm

They say some pretty nice things about Jarrey at #64
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:33 pm

I think it reflects pretty bad on whoever is rating these players. A smart Scout should know that he was playing just about entire season with a messed up hand injury that probably had a significant affect on his shooting ability. Except for the unlikely event the hand won't heal, then he is likely to be underrated based on his 2017-18 performance. The injury was evident in most every game I saw at Moody-you didn't notice it as much on TV
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PonyFan32 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:18 pm

deucetz wrote:
PonyFan32 wrote:
deucetz wrote:[quote="SMU Section F"]I think if people are telling him there's a realistic chance of a contract, even if he goes a little later, then he needs to be gone. Too much at stake to risk another year playing for free.

How many non-P5 seniors get drafted in the first round? What is your basis that he goes in the first round next year?

P5 isn't as meaningful in basketball. Plus the player measurements and skills will matter a lot more than conference affiliation. Saying shake is akin to non-P5 seniors is a meaningless comparison. He is a 6'6"+ guard with handles and elite shooting. That's what matters to the league.

I’m making the point that there aren’t many seniors that get drafted in the first round, and it’s even more for non-P5 seniors. You are correct that conference affiliation is meaningless for individuals but if you read scouting evaluations, level of competition is always questioned for non-P5 players—especially if you don’t play top programs out of conference or go far in the tournament.[/quote]

You are right I just don't think it's an apples to apples comparison. Most of those non P5 seniors are not widely projected in the first round as Juniors prior to an injury that costs them nearly half a season.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby skyscraper » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:41 am

Maybe he's dropped just because people don't know how healthy he will be in the coming months. We know pretty much nothing when it comes to specifics about his injury.
skyscraper

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu May 03, 2018 1:24 pm

Great pub for Shake and SMU developing wings on a nationally respected podcast.

At the 18:05 mark....
https://www.theringer.com/2018/4/6/1720 ... lbag-vol-2
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball