PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hopkins a bust

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Hopkins a bust

Postby CoxSMU » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:00 am

I remember when I used to come and watch Sasser play. Before the game, in warmups, he didn't miss a shot. If he did, it was rare. It's like that for most guys that play in the NBA or will play, they just don't miss in warmups....Watch our team this year shoot in warmups and they miss half their shots, B-Hop included. I am not saying anything to the talent of this team ,but it is definitely something that worries me when we can hit barely above half our shots with no defender within 40 feet.
Geaux Ponies and Geaux LSU!
CoxSMU
Junior Varsity

Postby OldPony » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:03 am

Hoop- I think you and I are saying much the same thing. I listed above that Bhop was a huge disappontment but also said nearly the same about Isham and Simpson. I don't intend to pile on but there are a few on this board who continue to praise him as if he was playing well but the rest of the team just can't keep up. I just don't see it. They continue to make excuses for him but he looks like he is a part of the problem too along with Simpson and Isham. Many don't like the fact that I have wanted BHop to proive his abilities before I crown him the best player in SMU history. So far he is so distant from being in that category that it isn't even a discussion. I believe Hancock, Woods and Rich were all better and that's just sine the DP. Maybe BHop will prove me wrong. Man- I hope so. No one was more excited than I was when he signed. Now, if he would only live up to 3/4 of that hype we would all be talking about different things. Let's just all keep his contributions and those of his teammmates in perspective.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby angryfan04 » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:51 am

Hancock better than BHOP? Here's Hancock's stats from his senior year FG% - 42, 3PT FG% - 35, FT%-66, 4 reb per game, 0.81 A/TO, 0.88 steals per game, 22 ppg and here's BHOP's through 18 games his soph year: FG% 41, 3PT FG% 35, FT% 78 3.5 reb per game, 0.97 A/TO, 1.8 steals per game, 15.3 ppg - I don't know how you can say that Hancock is better - the numbers look the same and I remember many posts on MustangManiacs about him being a ball hog and shooting too soon; did you forget about those? Hancock was good but he wasn't better. His A/TO was less than 1 and FT % was not that great for a PG. Again, Hancock was a solid player, but I think we saw the best that he could be; I don't think we have seen the best of BHOP - it may never happen for him - but at worst, he has done no better or no worse than Hancock. I think you have forgotten how Hancock really played
angryfan04
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:09 am

well let's not stop with BHop-many on here predicted that Patrick Simpson would be the greatest Forward in SMU History-I distinctly remember challenging them to see if they were old enough to shave. Right now Simpson is a nice little 10 point per nite player who is not one of the Top 20 Forwards in SMU history.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Waz » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:28 am

Fortunatley for you and Dement, absolutely none of this has anything to do with coaching. State Player of the Years are usually not very good unless they don't have grades and are forced to go the JUCO route.
Waz
Junior Varsity

Postby OldPony » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:28 am

I am more of a BHop fan than Hancock because I THINK Bhop will improve. I believe BHop is playing with better players than Hancock right now though the lack of effort makes me wonder if that is right. Your stats though show very little separation between the 2 which may refute my point of Hancock being better but it makes my point that BHop hasn't been very special. Stallion- I remember many saying that Simpson was the real deal (myself included) but I don't remember anyone saying that he was great. I think he could become a solid player on many teams. He hasn't shown the desire to get there other than in spurts. I don't think any of our players understand how hard they need to work to become outstanding. I look at the hustle and conditioning of the players in the top programs and then look at our guys and it is amazing the difference. Is that Dement? I don't know for sure. Maybe they'll all quit if he is tough or maybe they won't respond to his coaching. Simpson is very disappointing this year and Isham even more so. I don't understand how both could have played better last year. There is something bad wrong with this team. Dement? Maybe. Character of the players? Maybe. Something will give one way or the other this year though.
OldPony
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball