PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jarrey And shake will test draft waters

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jarrey And shake will test draft waters

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:37 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:
SMU Section F wrote:
MFFL02 wrote:I could see him going in the early 20s next year.

That seems incredibly unlikely. I really like Jarrey's game, but that would require a pretty damn impressive showing and absolutely no more injuries.

Jarrey is much more likely than Shake to stick around, but I think he's taking a risk either way. If it were my son/player/etc. and a decent position in the second round seemed likely, I'd tell him to take the money and run.

Sticking around could payoff, but it's at least as likely that it would do nothing but cost him a prime year of his playing career. Or worse, considering his history of injury.

If he can get a guarantee from a team or two that they will take him in the 2nd round and sign him then I would see the appeal of going. Still risky given lack of guaranteed money he will get (little if any) due to his injury history. He would likely get cut if he got severely injured again and be in a tough spot, but there are risks of coming back too. If he does come back and ball out I could see him sneaking into the first round with his athleticism if he can shoot 38%+ from 3 next season.

A big senior season could help quash medical concerns and allow him to get a much better deal, if not a first round deal. But can never blame a kid for going pro if they get some sort of guarantee and they think that is best for them.

Of course he could come back and get re injured or show that he lost some of that athleticism and never earn a dime playing ball.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:43 pm

Pony_Law wrote:
Of course he could come back and get re injured or show that he lost some of that athleticism and never earn a dime playing ball.

Of course. And he could stay in the draft and go undrafted and go to the G-league make like 50K and tear his knee up there or show he lost a step once he is drafted in 2nd and get cut before he makes really any money besides his training camp bonus. Or he could ball out on a 2nd round deal after getting a gurantee. Lots of possible scenarios. There are pros and cons to staying or going as I said. I can see the appeal of going if he gets a 2nd round guarantee and also the risk in it. Just depends what is best for him.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:48 pm

There are no guarantees in the draft. If some other players fall and the teams that promised to draft you see some unforeseen players available much later than anticipated then all bets are off.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RI Stang » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:28 am

mustangxc wrote:There are no guarantees in the draft. If some other players fall and the teams that promised to draft you see some unforeseen players available much later than anticipated then all bets are off.

Exactly. The concept of a "guarantee" is somewhat made up, just not a real thing as there is so much movement up to and on draft day. As someone mentioned, there are risks both ways, but I would be pretty shocked if Jarrey isn't here next year, benefitting from being a primary option. At the same time, absolutely zero reason for him to NOT go through the process right now and get feedback on his game and what he needs to focus on.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:55 pm

Here is what's Guaranteed (IMHO)...

There’s no way an NBA team wagers a second round pick on Jarrey. Before the injury his stock was rising.
But let’s be real here....The most recent injury may really limit either his performance, his options or both. I sure hope not but he could end up selling insurance sooner than we think.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby skyscraper » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:11 pm

It's officially official. Shake is gone.

@SniperShake
I’ve decided to forego my senior season at SMU and enter the 2018 NBA Draft. I thank God everyday for blessing me with this opportunity. Thanks to my SMU family for all the love and support I’ve received for the past 3 years, that’s a forever thing. #beUbeUnique
skyscraper

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:29 pm

skyscraper wrote:It's officially official. Shake is gone.

@SniperShake
I’ve decided to forego my senior season at SMU and enter the 2018 NBA Draft. I thank God everyday for blessing me with this opportunity. Thanks to my SMU family for all the love and support I’ve received for the past 3 years, that’s a forever thing. #beUbeUnique

I hope Shake works his way to a 1st round pick at the combine. I figured he would be gone. Just bummed we didn't get a full final season of Shake and he didn't get another crack at the tourney this year.

Good for Shake though. Hope he has a long NBA career.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Mustangsabu » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:27 pm

Congrats to Shake. Pity for SMU but that was always his plan it would appear.

I will be watching him and hoping for all kinds of success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:34 pm

Hopefully our pipeline to the NBA helps recruiting.
mustangxc

Postby PonySnob » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:07 pm

mustangxc wrote:Hopefully our pipeline to the NBA helps recruiting.

Mudiay!
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:05 pm

Surprised SMU let him announce this today with the Mustang Club deadline looming.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:06 pm

Best of luck Shake and thanks for the memories.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Previous

Return to Basketball