PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jarrey And shake will test draft waters

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Jarrey And shake will test draft waters

Postby ponyboy101 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:33 pm

I had a feeling shake would, but I had no idea Jarrey Foster would, if they were to hire agents they would not be eligible for next year. I love Jankovich but given the talent we have returning if these 2 guys both actually go pro next years team would be a big mess. No matter how good are coach is next years team without shake and even Jarrey will be very average possibly even below average. IMO were in huge trouble, what are your thoughts?
ponyboy101
Recruit

Re: Jarrey And shake will test draft waters

Postby skyscraper » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:38 pm

I think we all know Shake is gone, so that's not surprising.
A crippled Jarrey testing the waters is hilarious. He's coming back.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:46 pm

No clue how this is hilarious?? It is smart as he has a chance to interview with NBA teams and get feedback on what he really needs to work on. Of course it is very likely he will return but obviously he’s received word that teams are interested in giving him a look. He’d be crazy not to see what happens.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby JasonB » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:28 pm

In his interview, he implies that he would bolt even for a 2nd round grade. That part is surprising...
JasonB

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:44 pm

JasonB wrote:In his interview, he implies that he would bolt even for a 2nd round grade. That part is surprising...

That stood out to me as well. Let’s be honest, it is not unusual for NBA teams to take a flyer on an athletic wing who defends at a high level and has decent scoring ability. If his physical shows that his knee is healing well, I would not be surprised if he gets the feedback he’s looking for from a team or two.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby skyscraper » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:00 pm

skyscraper

Postby Pony_Law » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:11 pm

If Jerrey hears from enough teams that they would consider taking him in the 2nd round he might take it. If a bunch of teams tell him, "look if you show us your healthy and you improve x we see you as a 1st round guy" I think he comes back. Makes sense for him to test but is suspect that he will be back. Shake is gone imo unless he has a disaster combine/workouts.

There is no real way of knowing how good we will be next year at this point. so much of the teams success next year will rely on 3 big questions 1) how good is Mike 2) how much do the current freshman improve from year 1 to 2, and 3) can we get good PG play (someone who gets the offense moving so we generate good looks more consistently). Add into it that Cinci and WSU and Houston will all likely take a step back based on who is leaving it seems like a wide open race.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU Section F » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:15 pm

JasonB wrote:In his interview, he implies that he would bolt even for a 2nd round grade. That part is surprising...

I know the first round is where the "real" money is, but I'm surprised how much people seem to look down on the second round... If he can go there and perform, he'll be plenty happy.

And when your worst case scenario is making six figures in Europe, why not take the risk. Coming back to school is a risk in itself.

I wish them both the best and hope the people in their ears have the players' best interest at heart and not any team's - professional or college.

That said, my guess is still that Shake goes and Jarrey stays. Will be interesting to see.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:39 pm

Jarrey when healthy and in top form at best projects to second round. So if he could get that this year, yeah you consider jumping. I think he's 90% returning.
ponyboy

Postby smupony94 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:11 pm

@JonRothstein

It's gotten the point where who tests the NBA Draft waters isn't even a big deal. The big deal is who keeps their name in after the combine.
smupony94

Postby PonyLaw90 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:21 pm

I’m no NBA executive, but I did stay at the Omni last night. The only way I take a low 1st rounder with a blown knee in the 2nd round is with confidence that the knee can hold up. There is plenty of reel of JG tweaking his left knee these last two years. As an avid fan, everytime he went down I thought “oh no, the knee?!”

I hope I’m wrong, and I wish Shake and Jray the best.
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:23 pm

I don't think this a big deal-everybody goes through the draft window

I thought Jarrey won't even be able to perform during the pre-draft workouts and might still be recovering this fall. If that's true nobody is going to take a chance on an injury which has yet to heal
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby MFFL02 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:59 pm

He was a projected late first in some mocks before the injury. Im surprised he is open to leaving if he doesn’t get feedback that he will be a lock in the first round. If he stayed next year and proved he was healthy and becomes the focal point of the offense, I could see him going in the early 20s next year.
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Postby SMU Section F » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:17 am

MFFL02 wrote:I could see him going in the early 20s next year.

That seems incredibly unlikely. I really like Jarrey's game, but that would require a pretty damn impressive showing and absolutely no more injuries.

Jarrey is much more likely than Shake to stick around, but I think he's taking a risk either way. If it were my son/player/etc. and a decent position in the second round seemed likely, I'd tell him to take the money and run.

Sticking around could payoff, but it's at least as likely that it would do nothing but cost him a prime year of his playing career. Or worse, considering his history of injury.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:48 am

SMU Section F wrote:
MFFL02 wrote:I could see him going in the early 20s next year.

That seems incredibly unlikely. I really like Jarrey's game, but that would require a pretty damn impressive showing and absolutely no more injuries.

Jarrey is much more likely than Shake to stick around, but I think he's taking a risk either way. If it were my son/player/etc. and a decent position in the second round seemed likely, I'd tell him to take the money and run.

Sticking around could payoff, but it's at least as likely that it would do nothing but cost him a prime year of his playing career. Or worse, considering his history of injury.

If he can get a guarantee from a team or two that they will take him in the 2nd round and sign him then I would see the appeal of going. Still risky given lack of guaranteed money he will get (little if any) due to his injury history. He would likely get cut if he got severely injured again and be in a tough spot, but there are risks of coming back too. If he does come back and ball out I could see him sneaking into the first round with his athleticism if he can shoot 38%+ from 3 next season.

A big senior season could help quash medical concerns and allow him to get a much better deal, if not a first round deal. But can never blame a kid for going pro if they get some sort of guarantee and they think that is best for them.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball