PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sedrick

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sedrick

Postby AusTxPony » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:05 am

Saw where he had a good night leading Utah over Western Kentucky last night in the NIT. Remind me again why he transferred?
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Re: Sedrick

Postby JasonB » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:58 am

I think the official reason was "homesickness". But I think we wasn't the style of PG that LB and/or Jank wanted if I remember correctly.

That said, it is important to note before we reject our frosh that I think Landrum showed better this year than Sed did for the short time he was around. I think there is more upside there.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:44 pm

JasonB wrote: I think Landrum showed better this year than Sed did for the short time he was around. I think there is more upside there.

I agree. Definitely more upside.
Bergermeister

Postby White Helmet » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:46 pm

I think Mom had some vocal complaints as well.
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:12 pm

averaging 3 minutes per game because he couldn't/wouldn't play D was mentioned at the time as I recall. I expect that was a factor
Charleston Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:46 pm

Wasn’t LB’s doghouse his primary residence?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PonySnob » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:40 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:Wasn’t LB’s doghouse his primary residence?

He like to sit in the back of class with his headphones on
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby deucetz » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:05 am

To be fair, none of our current freshman guards would have played much when in Sedrick was here. Our team was stacked.
deucetz
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:45 am

deucetz wrote:To be fair, none of our current freshman guards would have played much when in Sedrick was here. Our team was stacked.

^^This. Landrum and Douglas would both have rode the bench too. They clearly weren't ready this season for major minutes, but Sedrick was checked out by game number 1 so Jank just didn't play him. He only played 16 minutes in his SMU career lol.

Landrum isn't near the shooter or scorer that Sedrick is, but is a 1000X better defender, hustle guy and even rebounder. Barefield is a poor man's McMurray.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:10 am

PonyLawExpress wrote:
deucetz wrote:To be fair, none of our current freshman guards would have played much when in Sedrick was here. Our team was stacked.

^^This. Landrum and Douglas would both have rode the bench too. They clearly weren't ready this season for major minutes, but Sedrick was checked out by game number 1 so Jank just didn't play him. He only played 16 minutes in his SMU career lol.

Landrum isn't near the shooter or scorer that Sedrick is, but is a 1000X better defender, hustle guy and even rebounder. Barefield is a poor man's McMurray.

Actually, McMurray TRIES to play defense, he’s just not very good at it. Barefield is more of a spectator. He shot really well last night against Penn State in the NIT final but his team got blown out as he regularly got back-doored. He has no clue on defense.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:32 am

SMU settled on Sed early, bird in hand style, but preferred other kids like Shake Milton and Jimmy Whitt. When Shake signed, it didn't surprise staff but was a pseudo upset over OU. AT that point, they had two kids, same class, promised primary ball handler minutes. Shake is a prototype physically and LBs guy, so Sed had to go. Beyond that, he didn't fit in w the squad. Sorta was aloof, missed Cali, and had a helicopter Mom. This evaluation was at the core of LB no longer trusting KTs judgement on trail, at least to the extent he did
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:07 am

hoopmanx wrote:SMU settled on Sed early, bird in hand style, but preferred other kids like Shake Milton and Jimmy Whitt. When Shake signed, it didn't surprise staff but was a pseudo upset over OU. AT that point, they had two kids, same class, promised primary ball handler minutes. Shake is a prototype physically and LBs guy, so Sed had to go. Beyond that, he didn't fit in w the squad. Sorta was aloof, missed Cali, and had a helicopter Mom. This evaluation was at the core of LB no longer trusting KTs judgement on trail, at least to the extent he did

Nice summary. In the time it took me to read it Penn State back-doored him napping twice.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Treadway21 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:05 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:SMU settled on Sed early, bird in hand style, but preferred other kids like Shake Milton and Jimmy Whitt. When Shake signed, it didn't surprise staff but was a pseudo upset over OU. AT that point, they had two kids, same class, promised primary ball handler minutes. Shake is a prototype physically and LBs guy, so Sed had to go. Beyond that, he didn't fit in w the squad. Sorta was aloof, missed Cali, and had a helicopter Mom. This evaluation was at the core of LB no longer trusting KTs judgement on trail, at least to the extent he did

Nice summary. In the time it took me to read it Penn State back-doored him napping twice.

Getting back-doored by Penn State is never a good thing - for anybody.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby mrydel » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:48 pm

Treadway21 wrote:
sadderbudweiser wrote:

Getting back-doored by Penn State is never a good thing - for anybody.
A+
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:04 pm

In Utah it’s punishable by death.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Next

Return to Basketball