PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Goodbye To Shake: Thank You!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Goodbye To Shake: Thank You!

Postby Blunt Pony » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:29 am

While I understand Shake's decision I do not agree with him getting a pass. If indeed he was cleared to play (which I am not sure is accurate or not) then he should have played. I fall into the camp that thinks you owe that to the fans but even more so to your teammates? Again, if indeed he was cleared to play and did not I would see that as a red flag if I was a GM. Not sure that we will ever know the truth because I am sure his camp and the school would not want that leaked.
Blunt Pony
Varsity

Postby PonyTime » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:25 am

They could have used him in the Cincy game in Orlando if only as a decoy. Just putting him out there on the floor would have opened things up for everyone else (particularly for McMurray).

Even the threat of him seeing the floor could have helped.

It is quite possible that Shake wanted to play and Jank would not let him. If that was the case, perhaps we should not pile on Shake.

Wish him nothing but the best in the draft and pro career.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:16 am

I didn't think Shake was all that - maybe it just shows a lack of basketball IQ. Save his out of the body Wichita State game
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:40 am

One Trick Pony wrote:I didn't think Shake was all that - maybe it just shows a lack of basketball IQ. Save his out of the body Wichita State game

Shake was a baller for us. Just look at his numbers, minutes played, etc. He was a huge piece to ALL of our success over the last 3 seasons. Did he live up to expectations? That is up for debate. Would he have if he had a full seasons this year? Up for debate. Could he have played the last few games? Don't know for sure. Was he a closer? besides WSU and a few games, probably not.

What we do know is we sucked down the stretch without him and Jarrey. He carried us this season. I don't think its fair saying a guy who is a potential 1st rounder, will likely have a long NBA career, who averaged over 10PPG and 30MPG for his 3 seasons and averaged 18PPG 4.5APG 4.5RPG as a Junior and saying he isn't "all that" is an insult to Shake and how good he was at SMU.

I wish his tenure had ended differently and it bums me out we collapsed this season and he didn't have another shot at March and chance to win AAC POY, but I wish Shake the best and am proud he was a Mustang. He was a great representative of SMU basketball and will continue to be in the NBA as a dang good basketball player.

You are entitled to your opinion, but that is mine.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:51 am

The fair is in Dallas.

Plus I only listen to one basketball opinion here. Only because he gave me a really good deal on a XXX Godfather t-shirt that I gave to the bus
One Trick Pony

Postby mustang92 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:11 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Wouldn't mind having some "one and done" type players, especially if they are conference players of the year. Semi doesn't actually qualify because of his brief stop at Duke and transfer sit, but was still a nice get

One and dones are to college basketball as moneyball is to the MLB. They might get you to the dance, but you won't be cutting down nets at the end. How many one and dones are playing in tonight's game?
mustang92
Scout Team

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:12 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:I didn't think Shake was all that - maybe it just shows a lack of basketball IQ. Save his out of the body Wichita State game

Shake was a baller for us. Just look at his numbers, minutes played, etc. He was a huge piece to ALL of our success over the last 3 seasons. Did he live up to expectations? That is up for debate.

To me, its not much of a debate. He will most likely get drafted in the 1st round. We've had what....2 players in school history signed out of high school who later got drafted in the 1st?

He more than exceeded my expectations, just wish he and Jarrey had been more healthy.
SoCal_Pony

Postby PonyTime » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:22 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
PonyLawExpress wrote:

Shake was a baller for us. Just look at his numbers, minutes played, etc. He was a huge piece to ALL of our success over the last 3 seasons. Did he live up to expectations? That is up for debate.

To me, its not much of a debate. He will most likely get drafted in the 1st round. We've had what....2 players in school history signed out of high school who later got drafted in the 1st?

He more than exceeded my expectations, just wish he and Jarrey had been more healthy.

I expected one NCAA tournament win. Sadly, he only got one chance - should have had at least three opportunities.

Had that floater in the lane as time expired vs USC gone in, I think he would be remembered a little differently than he is right now...

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JoeKidd » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:40 pm

Shake will go down as a Top 10 SMU from day one (not including transfers) basketball player. His season was cut short and regardless of whether he came back or not the team would have finished in the same position....so IMO that is not letting his teammates or the fans down. He was and will continue to be a great example of an SMU student athlete and I hope he is very successful in the NBA.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:39 pm

JoeKidd wrote:Shake will go down as a Top 10 SMU from day one (not including transfers) basketball player. His season was cut short and regardless of whether he came back or not the team would have finished in the same position....so IMO that is not letting his teammates or the fans down. He was and will continue to be a great example of an SMU student athlete and I hope he is very successful in the NBA.

If he came back on Feb 24th (WSU game at Moody), 4 weeks after his injury, I think we would have had a good chance to make the NCAA tournament.

After that, it was over - and there was no need for him to risk it.

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby skyscraper » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:20 pm

Shake has a mixed legacy.
This year the team was "his" and it began to fall apart in January before he got hurt. He clearly was not a leader. I'd heard rumors he could have played late in the season but chose not to, so it's interesting others more connected than I am also heard the same thing. It's definitely a "business decision" (h/t Deion Sanders).
I think he could do well in the NBA as the third or fourth option on a team. He's a beta, for better or worse. But Betas still get paid in the league if they perform, and I think he can.
skyscraper

Postby SMU Section F » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:34 pm

Until the NCAA makes dramatic changes to athlete compensation/insurance, I will never begrudge a guy for protecting his himself over his team. Best of luck to Shake.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby Blunt Pony » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:07 pm

SMU Section F wrote:Until the NCAA makes dramatic changes to athlete compensation/insurance, I will never begrudge a guy for protecting his himself over his team. Best of luck to Shake.

What changes should the NCAA make? Are you talking about paying every student athlete at each school because I am pretty sure they could not just pay the revenue sport athletes and leave out the non-rev. I say let these kids go pro whenever they want. Let them go after middle school if they want. The NBA does not want that because right now they get a free look at these guys to make sure they are are the real deal. NBA and NFL need to change their ways. Not sure why the NCAA needs to get involved in compensation. They are providing the biggest stage for these athletes to showcase their skills. If the player thinks he does not need that then don't go to college.
Blunt Pony
Varsity

Postby SMU Section F » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:14 pm

Blunt Pony wrote:
SMU Section F wrote:Until the NCAA makes dramatic changes to athlete compensation/insurance, I will never begrudge a guy for protecting his himself over his team. Best of luck to Shake.

What changes should the NCAA make? Are you talking about paying every student athlete at each school because I am pretty sure they could not just pay the revenue sport athletes and leave out the non-rev. I say let these kids go pro whenever they want. Let them go after middle school if they want. The NBA does not want that because right now they get a free look at these guys to make sure they are are the real deal. NBA and NFL need to change their ways. Not sure why the NCAA needs to get involved in compensation. They are providing the biggest stage for these athletes to showcase their skills. If the player thinks he does not need that then don't go to college.

I guess I agree, but the current system is [deleted]. Until somebody changes things, I will not begrudge these players.

Though the NCAA is making a ton of money off of even the non-NBA guys while giving them very little of value, so I think excluding them from the equation is lazy.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:32 pm

I am completely opposed to paying players. However, I think colleges should pay insurance policies for pro prospects and colleges should pay health insurance for any injuries incurred while competing for that program. If someone has trouble walking the rest of their lives because they sustained injuries playing offensive line for x university then that university should cover that player's health insurance.
mustangxc

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball