PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

POLL: Deadline passed... what did you wind up doing?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

2018-19 basketball season tickets - what did you do

Increased donation & keeping tix
18%
Kept donation level same & keeping tix
18%
Donating less but keeping tix
1%
Will not have season tickets
63%

Total votes : 68

Re: POLL: Deadline passed... what did you wind up doing?

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:32 pm

The Mob worked when the Godfather was in the house. After the assassination more appropriately The Sob
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:22 am

I have no dog in this hunt but do not see any major problem. Yes, some long time supporters (we could not have a large number of those from as witnessed in the Pre LB days) have determined not to renew due to the manner in which the reseat took place. But from what I have read, donations are up considerably.

The far majority of those on this site that did not renew have said they will obtain tickets from third party vendors, so I see no real drop off in attendance if the product remains good.

So other than hurt feeling from the very few (but agree extremely loyal 150) basketball supporters, I see more money and equal or perhaps better attendance.

The key is the play on the court.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:14 am

The Sopranos
One Trick Pony

Postby PonyTime » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:31 am

One Trick Pony wrote:The Mob worked when the Godfather was in the house. After the assassination more appropriately The Sob

Was it the Godfather or the Lobster?
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:45 am

One Trick Pony wrote:The Mob worked when the Godfather was in the house. After the assassination more appropriately The Sob

The Sob :lol:

The Mob died a long time ago, especially when they couldn't even fill the student section for the Cinci game
Pony ^

Postby RI Stang » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:15 am

mrydel wrote:I have no dog in this hunt but do not see any major problem. Yes, some long time supporters (we could not have a large number of those from as witnessed in the Pre LB days) have determined not to renew due to the manner in which the reseat took place. But from what I have read, donations are up considerably.

The far majority of those on this site that did not renew have said they will obtain tickets from third party vendors, so I see no real drop off in attendance if the product remains good.

So other than hurt feeling from the very few (but agree extremely loyal 150) basketball supporters, I see more money and equal or perhaps better attendance.

Agree with this - although certainly doesn't fit the narrative of this site very well judging by the 37 page thread whining about the reseat. I'm much more interested in the Jimmys and the Joes that we can get on the court. Hoping for some good recruiting news here soon now that Shake's status is public.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Stallion » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:27 am

well actually it should have a significant affect on reported attendance at least for non-conference games. If we are playing Lamar or Pine Bluff those games used to be reported as near sellouts even though 3,000 were in attendance. Now they will be reported closer to the truth. Plus if the team is unsuccessful like last year when injuries took its toll those seats will go unused instead of being already "banked" like in recent years. Its the same argument we have in football. Season tickets are 6 times more valuable than a game ticket. TCU has sold out its football stadium since it was renovated and revenue wise it really doesn't matter to TCU if only 20,000 are in their seats after the second half kickoff on a 95 degree sunny September game. TCU gets the cash up-front either way. If this significantly reduces season tickets there is no guarantee SMU can make up those sales for non-conference or late season games. Plus SMU will be competing against demand available on the secondary market which will offer better deals than SMU can offer for its remaining seat inventory.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Shetland » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:53 am

3 of us dropped from 6 tickets to 4. We almost never used more than 4 tickets so it had nothing to do with price. Around same donation level but we think we ultimately will have better seats. Will let ya know in May.
Shetland
Scout Team

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:30 am

mrydel wrote:I have no dog in this hunt but do not see any major problem. Yes, some long time supporters (we could not have a large number of those from as witnessed in the Pre LB days) have determined not to renew due to the manner in which the reseat took place. But from what I have read, donations are up considerably.

Would it have been so terrible to issue a waiver to those people who have been season ticket holders for 7 of the last 10 years and simply tell them, ‘Thanks for your loyal support, same donation / same seats.’

This move sounds like what the former UT AD would have done. Notice I said ‘former’. He was dismissed I large part for his sole drive to increase revenues.
SoCal_Pony

Postby mrydel » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:38 am

I can’t really argue with your first paragraph other than I do not know all the details of the push. As far as the last paragraph, I have certainly know more people let go for not increasing revenues that for increasing them.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:48 am

True, but they could have accomplished both while not so offending its few loyalists. And what I proposed, while maybe reducing revenues this year, probably secures them more longer-term.

The timing for all this is suspect IMO.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:49 am

Reeks of a Money Grab
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:51 am

at the 5th Most Expensive School in America :lol:
SoCal_Pony

Postby smupony94 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:01 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:Reeks of a Money Grab

Of course it is and many of our fans aren't willing to pay market rate for tickets
smupony94

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:16 pm

Market rates for Perpetual top performer...
One Trick Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball