PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

POLL: Deadline passed... what did you wind up doing?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

2018-19 basketball season tickets - what did you do

Increased donation & keeping tix
18%
Kept donation level same & keeping tix
18%
Donating less but keeping tix
1%
Will not have season tickets
63%

Total votes : 68

POLL: Deadline passed... what did you wind up doing?

Postby skyscraper » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:14 pm

We've been talking about it for months, but now the deadline to donate toward your basketball seats has come and gone.
I'm curious what everyone actually wound up doing. If you're in the app, this is a poll so click out to a browser and cast your vote. Feel free to comment with details if you want.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: POLL: Deadline passed... what did you wind up doing?

Postby SMU Section F » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:21 pm

Gave up my seats. Not happy about it, but couldn't justify playing that game w/ no assurances.

I'll still be attending games; just saving a bunch of money and trying out some new locations. Bummer to lose my seats, but I'm mostly just relieved that the decision is final now.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby used to be 2 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:51 pm

Deadline passed, got one last plea from SMU to give money and not know where i will sit.

I did not renew. Been season ticket holder for 25 years.

Sad ending when the athletic department throws the true fans aside for money but I understand you have to get more money to run all the programs, but less fans will be the end result.

Going to be tough to recruit basketball with a half full stadium of spectators but few fans. The noise level will diminish significantly. I will have to really turn up the volume from my new seat at my house with the big screen TV i bought by not renewing.
used to be 2
Junior Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:16 pm

Wow, these are telling numbers from the core group of fans. Yikes.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PonyTime » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:58 am

Much like Section F, I will attend about 50% of the games and pay anywhere between $0 to $10 to get into Moody. Will probably end up spending about $75 total for the season to go to the games that I will attend.

I would have bought two season tickets and spent over $2,800 had I been able to keep my seats.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:11 am

It was a no brainer. If you aren't going to tell me where I will be sitting after giving thousands of dollars, then I'm out. I want to know what I'm buying. On to Stubhub where I will most likely spend $6 for every game I want to attend besides a few of the bigger ones (where you can still get in for about $25-$30 usually).

Will be a shame to see several games with only 3-4K in the stands.
Pony ^

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:14 am

PonyTime wrote: I would have bought two season tickets and spent over $2,800 had I been able to keep my seats.

I would, too. I got screwed in the New Moody reseat. but I persevered. I'm not going to hand over good money with the probability of getting screwed again. That's just stupid.
"Fool me once....... etc. etc."
Bergermeister

Postby Blunt Pony » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:25 am

I renewed at the same level as last year. I want to see where that puts me. If I can get my same seats or improve then I will be ok. If I am pushed into the upper corners then I will make it my farewell tour. I think SMU completely botched this process. You have got to take care of your core and keep your eyes on the big prize. Get your team a few rounds into the tourney, build a fan base that gets you a look at a bigger conference and this reseat money will look like chump change. Hope it works out. Totally understand those that chose to not gamble on the seat lottery. I was really tempted but just thought I would see where I landed doing the same thing I would have done had I just been renewing my seats.
Blunt Pony
Varsity

Postby smupony94 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:06 am

Blunt Pony wrote:I renewed at the same level as last year. I want to see where that puts me. If I can get my same seats or improve then I will be ok. If I am pushed into the upper corners then I will make it my farewell tour. I think SMU completely botched this process. You have got to take care of your core and keep your eyes on the big prize. Get your team a few rounds into the tourney, build a fan base that gets you a look at a bigger conference and this reseat money will look like chump change. Hope it works out. Totally understand those that chose to not gamble on the seat lottery. I was really tempted but just thought I would see where I landed doing the same thing I would have done had I just been renewing my seats.

If you kept the same donation I bet you are safe. I donated $500 more per seat and it sounds like I will move up
smupony94

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:08 am

If the on-court results next season are not dramatically better than this season, Moody will become a ghost town faster than Rick Hart can say "Moody Magic". Dallas loves a winner; Rick and Tim better deliver one. . . especially after spitting in the face of loyal fans.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:42 am

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:If the on-court results next season are not dramatically better than this season, Moody will become a ghost town faster than Rick Hart can say "Moody Magic".

He could be singing the "Moody Blues"
Bergermeister

Postby ponyboy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:25 pm

I've had season tickets the last two years wih zero donation. I expect that to continue next season.
ponyboy

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:58 pm

I ended up not renewing. I got a little mustang on the way and I just wasn’t comfortable gambling 1k on potentially overpaying seats. I will go to most games and expect to largely sit center court except for a few premium games and end up paying much less then my season tickets.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:48 pm

used to be 2 wrote:Deadline passed, got one last plea from SMU to give money and not know where i will sit.

I did not renew. Been season ticket holder for 25 years.

Sad ending when the athletic department throws the true fans aside for money but I understand you have to get more money to run all the programs, but less fans will be the end result.

Going to be tough to recruit basketball with a half full stadium of spectators but few fans. The noise level will diminish significantly. I will have to really turn up the volume from my new seat at my house with the big screen TV i bought by not renewing.

Stories like this are not good. One of the few things can all agree on at PFs is our lack of fan support. You don’t tick off our few diehard supporters, so simply don’t, yet somehow our AD managed to do so.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
SoCal_Pony

Postby edwa » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:52 pm

student so it doesnt matter for me. Moody will live and die by the mob, the mob ill create the future alumni that attend games, waiting to see how the process changes for us students and hopefully they will bring back camping out for tickets.
edwa
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Basketball