PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

POLL: Deadline passed... what did you wind up doing?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

2018-19 basketball season tickets - what did you do

Increased donation & keeping tix
18%
Kept donation level same & keeping tix
18%
Donating less but keeping tix
1%
Will not have season tickets
63%

Total votes : 68

Re: POLL: Deadline passed... what did you wind up doing?

Postby Mustangsabu » Tue May 22, 2018 11:03 am

JasonB wrote:
used to be 2 wrote:Going to be tough for Jank to recruit with a half empty Moody. Hope all the money is worth it.

Last season we had a lot of half empty or worse games because of the season ticket holders who didn't use their tickets.

It will be interesting to see how many people are on that waiting list. We could end up with not only more money, but also a more full stadium by turning over the season ticket holders.

I love the optimism but I don't see it. The many half full games last year were because of one thing. People don't show up if they don't care about the game. I do not believe it likely that people who were on the waiting list for season tickets took the position that until they got season tickets they wouldn't go to games. They just didn't go either.

I would be surprised if SMU does not make considerably more money by this strategy, but I do not see any reason to think that Moody will be fuller, or more raucous as a result. And the real problem is going to come next year at renewal time of the team does not have a stellar year. Season tickets will always be more expensive than single game tickets (which is, in my opinion just doing it wrong) and it is going to be difficult for the AD to battle market forces.

Add to that the uncomfortable fact that if SMU STH do not control the arena, when big teams come to play we will have far more people from the other team in the building.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue May 22, 2018 12:31 pm

mrydel wrote:Veni vidi vici

One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby redpony » Tue May 22, 2018 12:37 pm

otp- who are the two assistants with our AD?
redpony

Postby Mestengo » Tue May 22, 2018 12:46 pm

The new guys!
Mestengo
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby friarwolf » Tue May 22, 2018 12:48 pm

It is becoming more apparent we were a Larry Brown phenomenon and not a sustainable basketball program on its own merit. So, I'll be the first to put it out there. When we miss the NCAA's again this coming year, fire Jank and hire Pitino. We need his recruiting and coaching skill and just as important, his notoriety...............I'll be back in on tickets if that happens.........
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Tue May 22, 2018 2:16 pm

friarwolf wrote:It is becoming more apparent we were a Larry Brown phenomenon and not a sustainable basketball program on its own merit. So, I'll be the first to put it out there. When we miss the NCAA's again this coming year, fire Jank and hire Pitino. We need his recruiting and coaching skill and just as important, his notoriety...............I'll be back in on tickets if that happens.........

While that may end up being the case, it is still way too early to make that declaration. Jankovich has been hamstrung by lost scholarships and injuries thinks to violations committed under Larry Brown's leadership. Give him a full allotment of scholarships and then see what happens.
mustangxc

Postby Stallion » Tue May 22, 2018 2:40 pm

geez-overreact much?

without injuries in a sanctions depleted roster-Jank likely would have lead SMU to 2 straight NCAA tournaments and from my perspective if we get Keonte Kennedy our recruiting class ended up just fine especially with Isiah Mike coming in. This was never going to be a snap with the scholarship reductions
Last edited by Stallion on Tue May 22, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Pony ^ » Tue May 22, 2018 2:40 pm

friarwolf wrote:It is becoming more apparent we were a Larry Brown phenomenon and not a sustainable basketball program on its own merit. So, I'll be the first to put it out there. When we miss the NCAA's again this coming year, fire Jank and hire Pitino. We need his recruiting and coaching skill and just as important, his notoriety...............I'll be back in on tickets if that happens.........

Pitino wasn't too fond of his visit to Moody but I'm sure he would love that crowd to be on his side all day long
Pony ^

Postby Mustangsabu » Tue May 22, 2018 4:23 pm

I believe Jank should be allowed to establish his team in a post-sanctions era. Then he can be judged and the program will know where it is.

I also think that making the NCAAs most years will not ensure that Moody fills up. Non-conference games against no-name opponents will not draw, the question is will they have 3500 instead of 1500.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed May 23, 2018 11:54 am

He would fit in perfect with the rest of the Black sheep. I would probably throw some money at that as well.
One Trick Pony

Postby RGV Pony » Wed May 23, 2018 12:30 pm

Between now and when Pitino gets here, we do have essentially a team coming back that is tournament level minus Shake & Gu, as HoopmanX has pointed out.

As for the reseat, the "process'' is done and IMG/Learfield will start working last year's waiting and other general public lists to fill the remaining inventory.

One thing the MC leadership worked on was a possibility for STH from last year to at least have right of first refusal before opening it back up. Between now and next Tuesday, people that opted out, didnt renew or participate in the reseat can do just that and pick seats before things open back up....not picking blindly, because you'll be able to see the most current map. There are a few for which either there was no donation requirement or your donation was met by football requirements. Those that go the stubhub/driveby fan route obviously still can, but we did want to stave off opening it up to those that were previously not sth.
RGV Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed May 23, 2018 12:40 pm

He is the only coach to lead three different schools (Providence, Kentucky, and Louisville) to a Final Four. Pitino is one of only four coaches in NCAA history (along with Dean Smith, Mike Krzyzewski and Jim Boeheim) to take his school to the Final Four in four separate decades, one of only three coaches (along with Roy Williams and Jack Gardner) to have led two different programs to at least two Final Fours each, and one of only two coaches (along with Williams) to have led two different programs to at least three Final Fours each.
SoCal_Pony

Postby ponyboy » Wed May 23, 2018 12:53 pm

You've got to be kidding about Pitino, right? That's playing cards with the devil.

Jankovich is a very good coach and we're very lucky to have him. Would love to see him retire here.
ponyboy

Postby Mustangsabu » Wed May 23, 2018 1:03 pm

RGV Pony wrote:Between now and when Pitino gets here, we do have essentially a team coming back that is tournament level minus Shake & Gu, as HoopmanX has pointed out.

As for the reseat, the "process'' is done and IMG/Learfield will start working last year's waiting and other general public lists to fill the remaining inventory.

One thing the MC leadership worked on was a possibility for STH from last year to at least have right of first refusal before opening it back up. Between now and next Tuesday, people that opted out, didnt renew or participate in the reseat can do just that and pick seats before things open back up....not picking blindly, because you'll be able to see the most current map. There are a few for which either there was no donation requirement or your donation was met by football requirements. Those that go the stubhub/driveby fan route obviously still can, but we did want to stave off opening it up to those that were previously not sth.

So what happens if someone did not participate and did not make a MC donation but they find a seat they like that will require a donation?
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponydawg » Wed May 23, 2018 1:15 pm

all season tickets seats require a donation, but at least you will know exactly what you need to pay to get them.
If the plan is to not give a donation, then buying per game is the option.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball