PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Reseating mission accomplished

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Reseating mission accomplished

Postby Ponyneighbor » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:13 am

Despite the fact that most of us on this board are incredulous that SMU would carry out this PR disaster and manage to alienate many of its most loyal fans, my guess is that the re-seat accomplished exactly what it was designed to do: wring the last ounce of revenue from the fan base while the getting was good.
If they really did increase donations year-over-year, I'm guessing they are doing cartwheels and high fives in the athletic department, because I think they are smarter than we give them credit for: they know (and in our heart of hearts, we know, but don't want to admit) that the 4-year run was an aberration, and the reseat was their last chance to fully capitalize on that. We somehow fell bass-ackwards into one of the greatest coaches of all time, who was willing to bend the recruiting rules, and most shocking of all was extremely motivated and energized to coach his butt off. The likelihood of catching lightning in a bottle like that again is really low. Now they are staring at a 2018-19 squad that will bear a striking resemblance to the team that finished 2-9 this year, has no good recruits in the pipeline, with a coach that hasn't proven he can coach or recruit at Larry's level. They cashed out while they could, because it seems pretty unlikely that people are going to be willing to pay $50+/seat per game in ticket prices/donations for the product they'll be rolling out over the next couple of years.
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

Re: Reseating mission accomplished

Postby PonyKai » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:55 am

lmao this is A+ trolling. I wouldn't have drawn it up any different myself.
PonyKai
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RI Stang » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:57 pm

Thank goodness I still have my seats in Moody where I'll be protected from the falling sky
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:01 pm

lost me at "no good recruits in the pipeline"
Pony ^

Postby gostangs » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:33 pm

From what you described, I've got the over and you take the under for 1000 bucks.

Coaching is overrated. It is recruiting. And we have great recruiters.
gostangs

Postby skyscraper » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:38 pm

Hmmm... things aren't that dire. This offseason is definitely a tipping point for Jank and the program tho. Let's let things play out.
skyscraper

Postby sacklunch » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:15 pm

I’ll be satisfied with recruiting if Maxey commits to us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sacklunch
Varsity

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:40 pm

gostangs wrote:From what you described, I've got the over and you take the under for 1000 bucks.

Coaching is overrated. It is recruiting. And we have great recruiters.

Let’s hope so, but our last 2 years say otherwise.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SMU Section F » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:20 pm

I'm pretty outspoken about believing the Moody re-seat to be incredibly poorly thought out and short-sighted... but this post is a bit dramatic, ill-informed, and focuses on things that have very little to do w/ the re-seat anyway.

As I've said before, I'm actually much more at peace now that the deadline has passed. Looking forward to next season... I hate the off-season.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby BUS » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:14 am

Injuries and lack of depth got us this year.

To me, this was a money grab and a time for Ath. Dept. to make bonus money while they could. They get commission on increases. Bottom line - It's business.

Would not be surprised to see a few go off to greener pastures and not stick around and see what happens in 3-4 years.

We need SMU people running SMU departments.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby PonyTime » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:21 am

BUS wrote:Injuries and lack of depth got us this year.

To me, this was a money grab and a time for Ath. Dept. to make bonus money while they could. They get commission on increases. Bottom line - It's business.

Would not be surprised to see a few go off to greener pastures and not stick around and see what happens in 3-4 years.

We need SMU people running SMU departments.

They get commission on increases.

Bus - Who are you referring to when you say "They"?
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BUS » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:14 am

In the months before the Orsini departure, I was interviewed and offered a job in Mustang Club/Athletic Development. Over the span of eight interviews, the in's and outs of being an employee were reviewed including the bonus/incentive plan.

It is not just the Athletic department but other money gathering entities at the university.

After speaking with other universities, it is pretty standard to be rewarded based upon returns.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby PonyTime » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:11 am

BUS wrote:In the months before the Orsini departure, I was interviewed and offered a job in Mustang Club/Athletic Development. Over the span of eight interviews, the in's and outs of being an employee were reviewed including the bonus/incentive plan.

It is not just the Athletic department but other money gathering entities at the university.

After speaking with other universities, it is pretty standard to be rewarded based upon returns.

^^^^That explains a lot about the short-sightedness of this entire short-term money grab.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:00 am

I don't want to talk out of turn, but I try to inject factual things I've become privy to whenever it's relevant. After Bain came in as part of OE2C the max salary increase university wide is 2%. Whatever bonus/incentive structure that was in place 8 years ago no longer exists. If the regular MC operations netted no increase, or a loss, or zero funds raised, salary would be the same. If there was outstanding performance, that would factor in to the annual review which can result in an increase of up to a 2% raise.
RGV Pony

Postby RI Stang » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:12 pm

RGV Pony wrote:I don't want to talk out of turn, but I try to inject factual things I've become privy to whenever it's relevant. After Bain came in as part of OE2C the max salary increase university wide is 2%. Whatever bonus/incentive structure that was in place 8 years ago no longer exists. If the regular MC operations netted no increase, or a loss, or zero funds raised, salary would be the same. If there was outstanding performance, that would factor in to the annual review which can result in an increase of up to a 2% raise.

Facts ruin everything
RI Stang
All-American

Next

Return to Basketball