PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Reseating mission accomplished

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Reseating mission accomplished

Postby AusTxPony » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:40 pm

Lol. So true, I love my conspiracy theories.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby BUS » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:23 pm

Who is Bain? I can only relate what I was told in interviews.

Kind of like brokerage fees. A pecentage if the goal is met. Done as a team at M-club.

Maybe all has changed.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BUS » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:27 pm

The Orsini thing happened in 2012 or right at 6 years ago.
BUS

Postby SMU Section F » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:06 pm

RGV Pony wrote:I don't want to talk out of turn, but I try to inject factual things I've become privy to whenever it's relevant. After Bain came in as part of OE2C the max salary increase university wide is 2%. Whatever bonus/incentive structure that was in place 8 years ago no longer exists. If the regular MC operations netted no increase, or a loss, or zero funds raised, salary would be the same. If there was outstanding performance, that would factor in to the annual review which can result in an increase of up to a 2% raise.

How the hell will they keep worthwhile talent with that system? That's terrible.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby Ponyneighbor » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:46 pm

Pony ^ wrote:lost me at "no good recruits in the pipeline"

I don’t see any top 100 recruits projected to go to SMU right now outside of Maxey, who seems to be spending more time with coach Cal these days than his dad that we hired on staff. This is after two years of not recruiting a top 100 player.

Listen, I hope like heck I’m totally wrong, but I don’t know how someone can be intellectually honest and not admit that there is nothing going on right now to suggest a return to our 2014-2017 performance. That seems obvious, and I’m sure it wasn’t lost on the staff, hence the money grab
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

Postby Arkpony » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:32 am

I don’t see any top 100 recruits projected to go to SMU right now outside of Maxey, who seems to be spending more time with coach Cal these days than his dad that we hired on staff. This is after two years of not recruiting a top 100 player.

Listen, I hope like heck I’m totally wrong, but I don’t know how someone can be intellectually honest and not admit that there is nothing going on right now to suggest a return to our 2014-2017 performance. That seems obvious, and I’m sure it wasn’t lost on the staff, hence the money grab

I'm worried also.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Stallion » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:29 pm

SMU's Basketball program wasn't built on Top 100 players--it was largely built on transfers. Keith Frazier-a Top 100-was probably the biggest mistake of the era
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby BUS » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:17 pm

BUS

Postby Ponyneighbor » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:21 pm

Stallion wrote:SMU's Basketball program wasn't built on Top 100 players--it was largely built on transfers. Keith Frazier-a Top 100-was probably the biggest mistake of the era

Exactly - and I don’t think anyone on this board wants to go back to “SMU basketball” as it was defined in the 90’s and 2000’s. We want to return to 30 win teams with rosters like this (with 247 national ranking):
Semi ojeleye #26
Shake Milton #90
Sterling Brown #109
Jarrey Foster (almost certainly would have been top 100 if not for high school ACL injury)

... so given that we don’t have guys like this in the pipeline, I would guess that a return to “SMU basketball” is in store
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

Postby hoopmanx » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:31 am

So, if nothing changes for next year minus Landrum.

1) Whitt- Top 100 kid
2) MacMurray- Proven Flamethrower
3) Foster- Not a top 100 kid, even w/o injury. Played unbranded AAU
4) Mike- Proven D1 kid, Top 5 in Canada
5) Frenchie- All AAC rookie team. Top 150. Had legit offers
6) MemphisDoug- Top 100 player from last years class. Big offers
7) Ray- Post Grad type, so no ranking. Beat P5 schools for him, see TCU
8) Hunt- Top 125 kid

if add

1) Mitchell- Top 100 kid in HS, #2 Juco
2) Torres- Beat OU, Wichita St

There's a lot of legit rankings in there for this program and comparable to years past. This staff wasn't responsible for missing on kids in '16. It wasn't their class, and if it were, they'd have had Carsen Edwards and Eric Curry, not Tom Wilson etc.

'17 is a mixed bag, no doubt. '18 a work in progress. Remember, if you're salty about missing on Kyler Edwards, you have to shelf that IF we get Mitchell. Much like Hunt offset Archie. At end of day, this staff is going to prospect a little lower, and miss a little more often. That doesn't mean we aren't getting sought after kids.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RI Stang » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:59 am

What do you think odds are on Mitchell? I'm assuming those went up a good deal with Shake's announcement? Adding Mitchell and Torres, and assuming Jarrey is back, should make us extremely athletic and IMO one of the top contenders in AAC next year based on what others have coming back and coming in.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby The Falcon » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:29 pm

According 24/7 Sports about a week ago -

"Mitchell names Texas A&M, SMU, Grand Canyon, Dayton & San Diego St as his top five."

So I would think that gives us a chance. He says he has "warm" interest in all five.
A & M and San Diego would probably be our biggest competition and A&M may be the
biggest. He has been quoted in the past that he wanted to play close to home and A&M
would be the closest.

What is your read HoopManx
The Falcon
All-American

Postby hoopmanx » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:57 pm

Its us or Ags w Ags returning their back court. They have Mahan on campus right now too.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby The Falcon » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:06 pm

The only thing bothering me about Mitchell's recruiting is that Rockdale, which is where
Mitchell played high school ball is only 40 miles west of College Station. Mitchell has
been noted to say he wants to play close to home so that his family and friends can
watch him play. Would he replace either Whitt or McMurray in our lineup?

The Ags do have their guards returning also as you have pointed out.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby RI Stang » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:11 am

We would be much better served with McMurray coming off the bench - instant offense type. Just my opinion obviously, but if we landed Mitchell I would have to think he and Whitt would be your starting backcourt. Of course if we also land one of these Juco PGs than competition would be on.

I hope Whitt spends a lot of time this Summer working on his shot, although his wingspan on defense along with his ability to rebound make him valuable in a starter's role regardless.
RI Stang
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball