PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Okay

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Okay

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:04 am

Very interesting analysis. I'm not insider, and I'm certainly not an expert. But between Mudiay and Maxey, I'm thinking that swinging for 5-star kids is not something we are going to have a lot of success with. We're just asking to have our hearts broken. We don't need to load up with 1 and done NBA talent. . . what we need (and what we have a much better chance of getting) are 3 or 4 year kids who can perform well in AAC conference games and tough non-conference games at home. I actually liked this year's team before Jarray and Shake went down. Having watched SMU hoops for over 20 years now, I'll say that any year where we beat Arizona, USC, and Witchita State at their house is an above-average year. The last 10 games were horrible, but after our amazing injury luck in 2016-2017 it was a more realistic outcome when you go with 7 guys for 30 games.

I'd really like to see some significant growth in our freshman entering their sophomore season, and a couple of good transfer pickups. Then let's put that on the court and see what happens.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Mustangsabu » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:05 am

Thanks Hoop. That made for an illuminating read. We all hope the program is successful next year and beyond.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:02 pm

The high in Wichita tomorrow is 39 with a low of 26. :lol:

Well guess he will be there Sunday but it will be cold then too. So :lol:
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:46 pm

hoopmanx wrote:I have my problems with certain things, but they are micro compared to this ridiculous meltdown. Maxey was fired a week or so ago, and many of us knew. The narrative here, by the unwashed masses, is we lost to Kentucky. That may have ended up the case, but wasn't why he was let go. The guys was a high school guy that had no idea the rigors of the college grind. He was lazy, didnt complete his tasks, refused to travel if Tyrese was playing elsewhere etc. You can say that this was on Jank for even hiring the guy, and in hindsight, I agree. That said, nobody hated the move at time, and as we stand today, there was no harm no foul in being proactive. It didn't work cause we couldnt deal w that amount of dead weight taking a sport, no matter how good his kid was for one year. Oh well, but hardly damaging/

Anyway, I'd like to get torres and he visits Wichita this weekend. I have no problem losing on trail to P5s ever. That said, I don't want to lose kids to conference foes.

Thanks for the insights. Maybe not as big a loss after all.
SoCal_Pony

Postby mrydel » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:53 pm

I do not deal in conspiracies, but if he was that bad from the beginning it does seem a little odd that the firing was delayed until after the reseat.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby CA Mustang » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:57 am

mrydel wrote:I do not deal in conspiracies, but if he was that bad from the beginning it does seem a little odd that the firing was delayed until after the reseat.

Would the status of an assistant coach really influence that decision for anyone?
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:01 pm

The status of THAT assistant coach certainly could have.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby No Quarter » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:16 pm

Please refresh my memory. How did the timing of Coach Maxey being let go compare with that of Coach Maligi?
No Quarter
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball