PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Okay

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Okay

Postby ponyboy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:21 am

Sigh. Bandwagons
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby kc711 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:25 am

JasonB wrote:Wonder if something else is going on with the Players and Jank - Georgetown quits, Sed, the australians, and reportedly current frosh are leaving, all of our players leave early for the NBA, and losing out on recruits now.

Oh boy, Jason B and his conspiracy theories are back from the Ministry of Misinformation.

One by one. LB did not like Sed's defense and ran him off. We can argue about who wanted Tom and Harry ("the Australians"), but Larry signed off on their recruitment. They are both out of college basketball, with Harry leaving Marquette after being eligible for one semester. Tom was not tough enough to play Division 1 basketball, and Harry was too slow and entitled.

Dashawn was a fine person, but was not ready to play AAC level basketball.

Akoy has been in college for 5 years, already has a degree from Georgetown, and his knees are shot, but, according to you he "quit" the team. While he did walk on senior night and I assume he will not be back, I have not heard that officially, and if he is leaving, do you really blame him for hanging it up with all of his health issues?

Okay, who has left early? Semi, who was in college four years and was old for his class. He had to go to get past his rookie contract. Shake, possibly a first round draft choice (more likely a high second round), who is coming off an injury, played three years, and again the goal for an NBA player is to get to that second contract as soon as possible. Jarrey's best friend is Shake, and Shake is leaving. Of course, he is going to look, and he may stay in the draft to again get past that rookie contract as soon as possible. And oh my, the Duke players must hate coach K and the Kentucky players must hate Cal because they all leave after one year.

As for current freshman leaving, you MAY have information that others don't. So, if you do, share it; however, I am not worried about Elijah leaving. He may even be encouraged to leave.

In any event, go ahead and stir the pot, but be sure to put on your tinfoil hat first!
Last edited by kc711 on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
kc711
Scout Team

Postby Julian Grendel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:31 am

kc711 wrote:
JasonB wrote:Wonder if something else is going on with the Players and Jank - Georgetown quits, Sed, the australians, and reportedly current frosh are leaving, all of our players leave early for the NBA, and losing out on recruits now.

Oh boy, Jason B and his conspiracy theories are back from the Ministry of Misinformation.

One by one. LB did not like Sed's defense and ran him off. We can argue about who wanted Tom and Harry ("the Australians"), but Larry signed off on their recruitment. They are both out of college basketball, with Harry leaving Marquette after being eligible for one semester. Tom was not tough enough to play Division 1 basketball, and Harry was too slow and entitled.

Dashawn was a fine person, but was not ready to play AAC level basketball.

Akoy has been in college for 5 years, already has a degree from Georgetown, and his knees are shot, but, according to you he "quit" the team. While he did walk on senior night and I assume he will not be back, I have not heard that officially, and if he is leaving, do you really blame him for hanging it up with all of his health issues?

Okay, who has left early? Semi, who was in college four years and was old for his class. He had to go to get past his rookie contract. Shake, possibly a first round draft choice (more likely a high second round), who is coming off an injury, played three years, and again the goal for an NBA player is to get to that second contract as soon as possible. Jarrey's best friend is Shake, and Shake is leaving. Of course, he is going to look, and he may stay in the draft to again get past that rookie contract as soon as possible And oh my, the Duke players must hate coach K and the Kentucky players must hate Cal because they all leave after one year.

As for current freshman leaving, you MAY have information that others don't. So, if you do share it; however, I am not worried about Elijah leaving. He may even be encouraged to leave.

In any event, go ahead and stir the pot, but be sure to put on your tinfoil hat first!
Nice work kc
Julian Grendel
Junior Varsity

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:55 am

One Trick Pony

Postby Ponyneighbor » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:15 pm

In the words of Mike Rhyner, “aaaaaaaand ... we’re done.” Looking on the bright side, in about 1.5 years I’ll be able to go back to sitting in the red seats for $3 on stubhub and listen to squeaking sneakers and the coaches calling out the plays without the distraction of all those pesky fans.
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:21 pm

Football school.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:49 pm

Its true, football school, yet like 2 people think we even come close to 6 wins. Wake me when we beat a Big 12 team, cause thats really all that matters to the money men of this fan base
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:56 pm

Sad thing is basketball is the perfect place for SMU to make its mark
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:57 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Sad thing is basketball is the perfect place for SMU to make its mark

and we have been. Whats sad?
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:02 pm

hoopmanx wrote:
DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Sad thing is basketball is the perfect place for SMU to make its mark

Hoop, can you give us a State of the Union on SMU BB and Jank?

It would be much appreciated on this board.
SoCal_Pony

Postby fan » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:18 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:

Please.
fan
Varsity

Postby PonySnob » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:47 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Football school.

Equestrian school

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby hoopmanx » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:28 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:

Sure. I put together a snarky opus on scout/247, but ill paraphrase. The wheel aren't off at all. Our current roster returns far more than most of the league, with or without Jarrey. Add a facilitating PG and either a shooter or big and we're off running again. The gloom and doom nonsense is confusing to staff. cause they don't feel they need that much this offseason compared to most of the country. Add a few pieces prosper.

This belief stems from the fact they work w these kids daily. As fans, being honest w.yourselves, you've seen kids like Everett Ray 5 times, in limited bursts, maybe. You've never seen Mike and the notion of throwing a 6'6 top 100 shooter under the bus, after his frosh season is silly.
This staff can't recruit seems to be the running narrative, but look at the squads we've beaten for kids in just Janks cycles, not 2016 etc. IF Jank were in control in 2016, we'd have Carsen Edwards and Eric Curry right now. LB vetoed them just as they were to commit. So, if you're going to give blame for 16, better throw shade at LB. Heck, where would LBs legacy have been minus Janks boy, Nic Moore. Or, the little known fact that he was as primary on Shake as KT.

The recruiting wins and losses are exacerbated by the fact Billy, Pat and I know way more than most about the inner workings right now. We have good access, but that doesn't mean we have the big board or no all the ins and out. What can be said is that compared to every staff we've had, this one is a bit more transparent, so we're privy to more of the goings on for the good and bad.

Every single offseason, every program misses far more than they win. Thats the reality of the profession, especially when you only want high majors at a school that looks more like a power mid. In short, you guys are just privy to more. There are no more or less losses this year than in years past. You just know about them now.

At end of day, they do need a trail victory, but we have 2 spots to fill, not 6. Of the kids I know exist on the big board, we're still fine. Its only April and we're top 3 for a few kids that havent even been mentioned on any of these boards. One is a 7ft international for example. We'd have to beat Utah and Tech for him, but thats the nature of this beast.

I have my problems with certain things, but they are micro compared to this ridiculous meltdown. Maxey was fired a week or so ago, and many of us knew. The narrative here, by the unwashed masses, is we lost to Kentucky. That may have ended up the case, but wasn't why he was let go. The guys was a high school guy that had no idea the rigors of the college grind. He was lazy, didnt complete his tasks, refused to travel if Tyrese was playing elsewhere etc. You can say that this was on Jank for even hiring the guy, and in hindsight, I agree. That said, nobody hated the move at time, and as we stand today, there was no harm no foul in being proactive. It didn't work cause we couldnt deal w that amount of dead weight taking a sport, no matter how good his kid was for one year. Oh well, but hardly damaging/

Anyway, I'd like to get torres and he visits Wichita this weekend. I have no problem losing on trail to P5s ever. That said, I don't want to lose kids to conference foes.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:57 am

Thank you.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:58 am

Thanks, Hoop. Get Torres and we’ll all feel better.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball