PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Missing on Recruits

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Missing on Recruits

Postby Wild Mustang » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:05 am

SMU Coaches need to not miss on scholarship players. Harry Frolling, Tom Wilson, DaShawn McDowell, Elijah Landrum, Everett Ray. I am sure that there are other kids that I could list here. These kids were recruited to SMU with expectations of being contributors. Some had even higher expectations. None showed the ability to play D1 Ball.

With the scholarship restrictions our SMU Coaches need to do a better job of recruiting. This is not a knock on Coach Jank. I love Jank as a Head Coach. Might be one of the best Xs and Os coaches in all of College Basketball, but whoever on the Coaching Staff are the primary recruiters, recruiting coordinator, etc. need to do a better job.

Because Coach Jank is our Head Coach he will ultimately take the blame for bad recruiting decisions, but the responsibility lies with the primary recruiters on the coaching staff. Yes the coaching staff is responsible for developing each player, but some players just don't make the transition from High School to College. As much as I like William Douglas and am rooting for William Douglas I am not convinced that he is ready for D1 Basketball. Time will tell.

I am hopeful that the incoming class of Freshman will be ready to play D1 Ball. Rooting for you guys! Go Mustangs!
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Re: SMU Missing on Recruits

Postby sacklunch » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:05 am

Everett Ray is much better than people give credit for

Also I don’t think Jank is one of the best Xs and O’s coaches. I remember several times this season our offense looking disorganized and lost out there. We are also much more undisciplined than in years past

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sacklunch
Varsity

Postby mustang92 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:38 pm

Ray was hurt most of the season. Landrum showed definite improvement. I'm pretty sure Douglas has a high ceiling.

This is classic Ponyfans overreaction.
mustang92
Scout Team

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:18 am

Lets bullet point for fun

- Jank approves via first hand scouting, every kid we offer. They are all ready for D1 ball, just a matter of if HM or Mid.
- Froling and Wilson aren't on this staff. IF this staff had their way, NOT LBs, they'd have had Carsen Edwards and Eric Curry, so enough of '16. We would have had Bruno Fernando too, if LB wasn't spiteful
- Janks [deleted] about sanctions and injuries was only surpassed by his inability to X and O kids into good positions post injuries. Early season was a mixed bag of coaching. Some great efforts, see USC, some ugly...Western Kentucky.
- Feron Hunt and Isaiha Mike are athletic in ways our front court hasn't been.
- Nobody has seen enough of Ray to comment, but other than being lost in team D concepts, which is easily learned, he's a legit big body w/a motor. He was about to get real time before injury occured.
-MemphisDoug is a 6'6 shooter that played soft comp in high school. All the tools are there. We beat tons of P5s for him, give him time.
- We have plenty of talent its just unproven in some cases. Thats not really reason for a meltdown

Being real, threads like this on a public board don't exactly help either. They are reactionary and without analysis, but the Subject reads loud and clear to passers by, for the right or wrong
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLaw90 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:56 am

hoopmanx wrote:Lets bullet point for fun

- Jank approves via first hand scouting, every kid we offer. They are all ready for D1 ball, just a matter of if HM or Mid.
- Froling and Wilson aren't on this staff. IF this staff had their way, NOT LBs, they'd have had Carsen Edwards and Eric Curry, so enough of '16. We would have had Bruno Fernando too, if LB wasn't spiteful
- Janks [deleted] about sanctions and injuries was only surpassed by his inability to X and O kids into good positions post injuries. Early season was a mixed bag of coaching. Some great efforts, see USC, some ugly...Western Kentucky.
- Nobody has seen enough of Ray to comment, but other than being lost in team D concepts, which is easily learned, he's a legit big body w/a motor. He was about to get real time before injury occured.
-MemphisDoug is a 6'6 shooter that played soft comp in high school. All the tools are there. We beat tons of P5s for him, give him time.
- We have plenty of talent its just unproven in some cases. Thats not really reason for a meltdown

Being real, threads like this on a public board don't exactly help either. They are reactionary and without analysis, but the Subject reads loud and clear to passers by, for the right or wrong

Ditto, my thoughts exactly. LOL I didn't know we lost Bruno because LB was angry. both of his kids got "cost free" rides to SMU, no?
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby friarwolf » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:16 pm

PonyLaw90 wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:Lets bullet point for fun

Ditto, my thoughts exactly. LOL I didn't know we lost Bruno because LB was angry. both of his kids got "cost free" rides to SMU, no?

Not after he quit..........
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:18 pm

Anybody that can afford the taxes on a 10 million dollar house is probably not concerned about chicken feed.

He has enough reserves to put 28 kids through SMU
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Wild Mustang » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:29 pm

hoopmanx - I guess you forgot about Jank's Xs and Os ability to beat an Arizona Team with an undermanned SMU squad. I guess Jank winning with 6 1/2 players 2 seasons ago has nothing to do with his ability to coach?

Jank is one of the best coaches in college. I cannot imagine just how good SMU could be with all scholarships and no more restrictions. Time will tell. Frolling and Wilson were pathetic. As far as I know neither is playing college basketball anymore. Funny how you just gloss over McDowell and Landum like they were really strong contributors to the team. The kids could not play D1 Ball in The American. Fact. We need to award scholarships to kids who can at least contribute to the team.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby sacklunch » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:32 pm

Arizona turned out not not be as good as they were ranked when we beat them this year.

Two seasons ago we had 5 current/future NBA players on our team and couldn’t get out of the first round of the NCAA tournament

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sacklunch
Varsity

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:13 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:Anybody that can afford the taxes on a 10 million dollar house is probably not concerned about chicken feed.

He has enough reserves to put 28 kids through SMU

You have it backwards. Anybody who can afford to send two kids to SMU can afford those taxes. By the way....they are only $ 21, 560.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:01 pm

Did you Google that haha In Texas that would be a quarter million dollars a year in real estate tax. I think you can put two kids through SMU for a half a million. Providing you don't pay for their car cell phones or give them an AMEX card

I guess my humble point is he's not concerned about money
One Trick Pony

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:14 am

Wild Mustang wrote:hoopmanx - I guess you forgot about Jank's Xs and Os ability to beat an Arizona Team with an undermanned SMU squad. I guess Jank winning with 6 1/2 players 2 seasons ago has nothing to do with his ability to coach?

Jank is one of the best coaches in college. I cannot imagine just how good SMU could be with all scholarships and no more restrictions. Time will tell. Frolling and Wilson were pathetic. As far as I know neither is playing college basketball anymore. Funny how you just gloss over McDowell and Landum like they were really strong contributors to the team. The kids could not play D1 Ball in The American. Fact. We need to award scholarships to kids who can at least contribute to the team.

No one thinks Jank is one of the best X and Os coaches in college. He's been a recruiter most of his career by industry rep. Zona win was great but no Rawle Atkins. He blew the entire stretch run being afraid of his own shadow, ditching man, fearing foul trouble, playing a bastardized 2/3 ineffectively, all while giving up every single look the offense wanted. I'm not anti-Jank as a bench coach, lets just not call him great or awful, cause evidence exists that he's both.

Mcdowell and the Aussies weren't on this staff for like the 12th time. Landrum was a swing and a miss by THIS staff. The other 3 are not only D1 kids, they are American Conference type kids. Same w #MikeHunt, who is also on THIS staff. If we're going to dissect this program, lets at least break it down correctly, so blame and praise can be properly assessed. Otherwise, someone will start an ill informed lynch mob thread....oops too late
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:41 am

hoopmanx wrote:
Wild Mustang wrote:hoopmanx - I guess you forgot about Jank's Xs and Os ability to beat an Arizona Team with an undermanned SMU squad. I guess Jank winning with 6 1/2 players 2 seasons ago has nothing to do with his ability to coach?

No one thinks Jank is one of the best X and Os coaches in college. He's been a recruiter most of his career by industry rep. Zona win was great but no Rawle Atkins. He blew the entire stretch run being afraid of his own shadow, ditching man, fearing foul trouble, playing a bastardized 2/3 ineffectively, all while giving up every single look the offense wanted. I'm not anti-Jank as a bench coach, lets just not call him great or awful, cause evidence exists that he's both.

Truth. Thinking about us playing that awful 2-3 zone most of the season and almost never mixing in man still makes me want to vomit. No clue why he didn't mix it up some when teams had it completely figured out. It would have probably won us 1-2 more games, at least,
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:49 pm

That 100% stems from our belief that Chargois would get in foul trouble early, which he does. So, we decided to let every team on the remainder of the schedule, shoot from exactly where they wanted, to keep Frenchie eligible. When your entire identity for 6 years is man, you don't duck your tail and try to hide. Tell Frenchie to get smart or heavy doses of Pyle. Beats grabbing ankles by design
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Arkpony » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:11 pm

with my limited knowledge of basketball, I have no idea what he is talking about.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Next

Return to Basketball