PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

St. Josephs

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

St. Josephs

Postby Waz » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:20 am

Can you believe this? 18-0, highly competitive and or selective admissions, 3,500 seat gym, and I don't believe a JUCO on the roster, in Philadelphia, Pa of all places. Oh, and with an old HS coach as the leader of the pack. I guess we should give up on the possibility of attracting a good coach.
Waz
Junior Varsity

Re: St. Josephs

Postby OldPony » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:19 am

No- Your right Waz!!! I bet the number of qualified people begging for the SMU job will be in the thousands. Roy Williams is hinting, Dean may come out of retirement, Bill Self is salivating. We won't have to find a needle in a haystack because we're SMU and everyone knows what a great basketball tradition we have and how committed we are to winning. Everyone knows that there are about a million good undiscovered coaches out there and our chances of finding one are near 100%. All those other schools who hire coaches who lose are just stupid and don't have our intellectual prowess which we have proven over and over. Start the line up. We'll choose a great one by noon tomorrow. No problem. Done deal.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby CoxSMU » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:33 am

From what I understand, Copeland used a boosters jet to fly to Louisville...Guys, Rick Pitino will be our next coach. Guess we will have to tell Self, Phil Jackson, and company that they don't even need to try anymore...
Geaux Ponies and Geaux LSU!
CoxSMU
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:40 am

I've already previously posted that St. Joseph's allows the admission of non-qualifiers-so nice try-but once again you don't know the first thing about what you are talking about!

<small>[ 02-02-2004, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: Stallion ]</small>
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:57 pm

My big question Stallion is who pays their tuition? That guy from P.G. County, Maryland, is from a real dive of a neighborhood, I can't believe that his parents can fork over the $20-25,000 for that first year of tuition.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby OldPony » Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:07 pm

Cox- When Rick Pitino found out he wasn't going to get the job, it made him sick. He is going to have to take a few weeks off just to recuperate.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Waz » Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:07 pm

The more I view and digest some of the posts on this board, the more I think that we get pretty much what we deserve. If this is indeed such a hole for collegiate basketball, we better extend MD indefinitely, quit whining about poor performance and be happy with the mediocrity that we have come to expect. Our good fortune at being able to retain the services of MD cannot be overstated. Now that I truely realize what a no win situation he has been dealt, I fully support him and will defend the fact that he doesn't have much of a clue offensively or defensively, can't develope a team in each of the last 6-7 years, has zero relationship with his team, and as of this moment, appears to have absolutely no control over them. Go Mike! Further more, I would like to apologize to the great visionary Stallion and his equally farsighted friend OP for making my posts so difficult to understand that they can only see the one dimension that they choose to see. I will back off and watch as the season continues to unravel (again) for no apparent reason. You guys are right. We suck and we may as well realize that is our fate.
Waz
Junior Varsity

Postby OldPony » Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:51 pm

No- You're right Waz. That MD just flat forgot all he knew about basketball when he came to SMU. He doesn't have a clue. How did he get so lucky as to win in NC-G and Cornell?
I think, seriously, that he has to go now. He has probably had his fill of cr%p from boosters like you whose first, second and third reaction is always "Fire the Coach". The pressure to win with less talent may have caused him to go off the deep end and lose this bunch of players- though I use the word players loosley with the lack of hustle I have seen from this team. He is probably so frustrated with the lack of commitment to SMU basketball that damn near anything looks better to him now. We will someday recognize that he is a good coach but it won't be at SMU. As I said on at least one occasion before "Remember Hayden Fry". MD needs to relocate for his own good right now.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Boston Pony » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:36 pm

SMU has never been a basketball friendly school, however our ability to win championships (ever so often) hasn't occurred until the last 10 years or so. SMU isn't that bad a job, how many coaches get 8 - 10 years without too much pressure to win. Coach Dement has had some successes, however most recently the team has under-achieved at any level of expectation with this year the most obvious example. If we look at the list of coaches on the 'short list' from last time, they were not a bunch of nobodys (remember this isn't football). If there is a change in leadership, I would expect a quality top assistant to be very interested. As opposed to football, you can turn a team quickly in BB and if successful move on the a Top 20 program (see Bill Self).
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:53 pm

Has anyone seen these videos by chance??? I would really like to hear anyones reviews of them.

http://www.onlinesports.com/pages/I,COC-BBV-30797.html?AID=10273668&PID=673632

http://www.kbacoach.com/smutrianmoto.html (SMU Triangle offense and Controlled Fastbreaks - up tempo??)

http://www.kbacoach.com/basvid.html (there are some good videos on here)

SMU Triangle Motion Offense - Highlighted are drills to get into the early offense, the secondary break, and a triangle situation. Dement has developed a creative teaching tool to attack presses from the sideline, the middle, and down & opposite as he runs through detailed on court demonstrations. These plays will create scoring opportunities and techniques on how to get into the offense whether the ball is inbounded from the baseline or the sideline. This terrific video is a must have if you are intrested in a disciplined, high-scoring offense! 2002. (38 Minutes)

I am more on the WAZ side of this and haven't seen results with the players we actually have over the years. 1-23 vs Top 25 is ridiculous...All I have seen is a trend of players playing undisciplined hoops. The simple fact we competed with Tech and Purdue and dropped off like all the rest of the seasons (except this year a tad earlier) shows that something is wrong. I think a lot of people expected this team to possibly overacheive this year but we are just seeing more of the same.

<small>[ 02-02-2004, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Pony_Fan ]</small>
Pony_Fan

Return to Basketball