PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sterling Police Update

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sterling Police Update

Postby malonish » Thu May 24, 2018 11:03 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote: Shanghai taxi drivers, many of whom exhibit 'Sterling Brown' aggressiveness.

It's a real spectacle. Taxi driver wagging finger 1 inch from policeman's face, screaming at him but not touching him.

Your really really really need to watch the video after equating Sterling to your Taxi driver.

For your own good. Your judgement is tarnished with that comparison.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Fri May 25, 2018 8:43 am

1017 Mustang wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:Yesterday that video had 420 views
It will have five million by the end of next week.

Here's the thing the city will settle out of court for probably 2 million Sterling will get his change for being tased.

But what's really unfortunate is that this young man's career has just began but it will always be tainted with opposing fans yelling s*** like don't tase me bro.
And it will never go away. That video and incident will be connected his entire professional career, and after.

The first unfortunate thing is that Sterling Brown got harassed, thrown to the ground and tased at 2 AM. The second unfortunate thing is that people are okay with 2 million dollars of American tax payer money subsidizing a cop trying to stir something up.

How many school programs is that? How many other municipal functions in the city could be served with the $2 million dollars being given to a professional athlete? What was the best outcome of that interaction from a city standpoint? Maybe a 500 dollar ticket--tops.

In any other situation--if someone said 6 SMU cops showed up, tackeld and tazed an SMU student after double parking in front of our CVS people would be talking about police reforms. This has absolutely nothing to do with what we all hope is a successful basketball career for Sterling. But we are all lucky that Sterling Brown didn't get RIGHTFULLY upset and wind up murdered.

That last part. For Sterling to keep his cool and tell the cops he had stuff in his hands, rather than just take his hands out of his pockets carrying something and get shot because of it showed a lot of poise.

I feel really bad for him. The whole video, you can tell he had to go to freaking walgreens at 2 AM to pick up something for someone. He just parked quick and ran in, and by the time he gets out the cops are there. He's annoyed and frustrated by the whole situation and then it just blows up.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri May 25, 2018 10:15 am

malonish wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote: Shanghai taxi drivers, many of whom exhibit 'Sterling Brown' aggressiveness.

It's a real spectacle. Taxi driver wagging finger 1 inch from policeman's face, screaming at him but not touching him.

Your really really really need to watch the video after equating Sterling to your Taxi driver.

For your own good. Your judgement is tarnished with that comparison.

Malonish, I’m contrasting American police forces to Shanghai’s.

In China, at least in Shanghai, I have personally witnessed several times and have been told many more times that you can be verbally aggressive with Shanghai police without fear of getting your head smashed in, something you absolutely can’t do in virtually any American city. Period.

I assumed Sterling was not completely ‘cooperative’ based on comments, but regardless, my assertion stands. The police in Shanghai don’t carry guns*, are referred to as ‘empty hands’, are far less aggressive and therefore much more approachable and helpful to average law-abiding citizens.

In my 3 years of living in Shanghai, I asked police for assistance many more times than I have ever asked American police for assistance in my 50 years of living here. Why????, because I try to avoid interactions with all police in America.
SoCal_Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri May 25, 2018 10:46 am

^^^^^^^
One Trick Pony

Postby malonish » Fri May 25, 2018 11:30 am

Sterling was not aggressive and still got that treatment. Your comparison calling Shanghai guy's aggressiveness 'Sterling Brown Aggressiveness' is inaccurate. If you choose to stand by that then ok, go for it.

We agree on cops being over-aggro and I don't hate cops. Have multiple LEO in my family.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:

PonyPride:

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri May 25, 2018 12:20 pm

Anyone with the least bit of Common Sense and street-smarts plays that cop like a harp and walks
One Trick Pony

Postby mustangxc » Fri May 25, 2018 12:37 pm

I think Sterling played that situation the right way. If a corrupt cop wants to escalate something out of nowhere there really is not much you can do about it.
mustangxc

Postby Stallion » Fri May 25, 2018 3:53 pm

"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PoconoPony » Fri May 25, 2018 7:09 pm

Cops simply do not show up at 2 AM to enforce handicapped parking space violations on private property. It appears obvious to me that someone in the store called the cops based on some issue in the store and/or suspecting that he was going to rob the store based on the "get away" positioning of his car parked at the front door across the 3 parking spaces and heading out. Why did Sterling not follow their initial commands thereby creating/escalating the situation???? This situation does not happen if he follows instructions and alleviates their concerns.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri May 25, 2018 7:27 pm

PoconoPony wrote:Cops simply do not show up at 2 AM to enforce handicapped parking space violations on private property. It appears obvious to me that someone in the store called the cops based on some issue in the store and/or suspecting that he was going to rob the store based on the "get away" positioning of his car parked at the front door across the 3 parking spaces and heading out. Why did Sterling not follow their initial commands thereby creating/escalating the situation???? This situation does not happen if he follows instructions and alleviates their concerns.

No assumptions made here. And way to give the benefit of the doubt to our own, someone who’s father is a cop, and someone who has never been in trouble ever. Great that you know what is like to be in Sterling’s position in that situation.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Lebanese4Life » Fri May 25, 2018 8:00 pm

Just watched the vid. What a joke. Why the hell did they call in the entire squad? Sterling didnt appear to be the least bit threatening.

Even the police chief admitted the cops were wrong.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Sat May 26, 2018 9:05 am

PoconoPony wrote:Cops simply do not show up at 2 AM to enforce handicapped parking space violations on private property. It appears obvious to me that someone in the store called the cops based on some issue in the store and/or suspecting that he was going to rob the store based on the "get away" positioning of his car parked at the front door across the 3 parking spaces and heading out. Why did Sterling not follow their initial commands thereby creating/escalating the situation???? This situation does not happen if he follows instructions and alleviates their concerns.

What commands did he not follow? The cop told him to back away and he did. If the cop simply writes the parking violation instead of going on his tirade no one even knows about this.
mustangxc

Postby JasonB » Sat May 26, 2018 11:11 am

So, not only do we have a situation where the police are overreacting, we have a shop owner calling the cops because a black man with a hoodie entered the store at 2 AM. Because most people use a shiny new Benz as a getaway car?

That explanation makes it worse not better.
JasonB

Postby malonish » Sat May 26, 2018 5:03 pm

Gonna need time stamps from you of him being aggressive and not following commands to escalate the situation. I'll find double the amount of the reporting cop who lied to the others and escalated it himself.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:

PonyPride:

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat May 26, 2018 5:12 pm

The Cosby Show is now available on Netflix for anyone interested