PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

STILL 2 BASKETBALL SCHOLARSHIPS FOR 2018-19 ??

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: STILL 2 BASKETBALL SCHOLARSHIPS FOR 2018-19 ??

Postby CenTXpony » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:43 am

JasonB wrote:
mrydel wrote:I still say there is some kind of back story to this kid. No reason he would not at least have offers from UALR or UAPB, or even ASU. Something does not add up. I am hoping we have stumbled onto something good, but until I can learn what the deal is, I just do not understand the whole situation.

Here is what I've built out...

Was a role player on his HS team, which was a good team the past three years. Late in his junior year, one of the big players was injured and he took a bigger role and did really well. Because that player graduated, he was expected to blow up this past season. Made top ten lists across Arkansas. On the list for several mid-majors.

Then, this past season, he settled back into the role player mode for a team that went to the state championship. Team leader, and does a lot of things, but didn't score a ton. good luck finding stats for his HS league. Only thing I saw was him averaging 10 PPG in 8 games as a junior).

Played AAU for the first time in the spring of 2018...his AAU team is The Woodz.. He also only played for them half a season, but actually came in and played decent minutes and integrated with the team quickly:

https://www.woodzelite.com/news_article/show/932013

Either way, colleges watch AAU, and his HS basketball team obviously isn't very visible if their statistics aren't online. So, he had a couple of months this spring in front of college scouts. Has good size, plays well defensively, and has a decent shot with a quick release.

On The Woodz roster, they list him as class of 2019. This could be the case of someone who reclassified at the last minute? Reclassification might help clarify why schools were said to be offering but never pulled the trigger.

My take is that we were hoping to hit on a couple of players here at the end of the cycle, some HS, some GT. We missed, White reclassified at some point, we saw or heard something decent and decided to take a reach. Hoopmanx might know something else, but this guy only playing half a season of AAU would explain why he isn't on anyone's radar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CenTXpony
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:40 am

Yes, as always :). But i still described him as a reach...
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby skyscraper » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:36 pm

It will be fascinating to hear what excuses Jank can come up with if this goes south. We're entering a scenario where there's so little room for error due to the misses in the offseason.
skyscraper

Postby smupony94 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:51 pm

skyscraper wrote:It will be fascinating to hear what excuses Jank can come up with if this goes south. We're entering a scenario where there's so little room for error due to the misses in the offseason.

sanctions and injuries

Oh, that was last season
smupony94

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:58 pm

smupony94 wrote:
skyscraper wrote:It will be fascinating to hear what excuses Jank can come up with if this goes south. We're entering a scenario where there's so little room for error due to the misses in the offseason.

sanctions and injuries

Oh, that was last season

http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=85673&p=1282132&hilit=Jank#p1282132
SoCal_Pony

Postby ponyboy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:50 pm

I do not and never will understand dissing Jankovich. Perfect? No. But a solid coach and great ambassador. We are very lucky to have him. Hope he retires here.
ponyboy

Postby JasonB » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:51 am

Correction - we are entering a scenario where there is little room for error IF Chargois, Ray, and Douglas end up being misses.

I think we will have a much better judgement on that after the first few games.
JasonB

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:46 pm

No way Chargois is a miss.
ponyboy

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:40 pm

Lolbat Chargois being a miss. Through 15 games last year, he was a top 5 frosh in america. The other two arent misses either, just young. We got these guys on a short cycle where LB resigned start of the July open period. Get perspective. Good class given time constraints, not to mention all the P5s we beat for those kids
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Wild Mustang » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:27 pm

hoopmanx,

What would we do without your basketball opinion on ponyfans.com?

Ray was a miss. Jury is still out on Douglas, but if we are being completely open and honest, Douglas has barely shown us anything to date.

Take a step back and compare Ben Moore to Ray. Ray is a joke. Ray is not even a serviceable player on the bench.

For comparison look at what Sterling Brown did for SMU Basketball. Tell me what William Douglas has done? Douglas can barely get minutes, let alone score more than a few points a game if we are lucky.

My point is Nic Moore, Ben Moore, and Sterling Brown have raised the level of what the SMU Basketball Program should expect in a D1 Basketball Player at SMU.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:35 pm

This time last year if you asked people to rank our four freshmen Chargois would’ve easily been third behind Ray and Douglas. His freshman year, as up and down as it was, far exceeded expectations. Short of quiting the team in the near future there’s no way you could ever consider him a miss. He is extremely skilled for a guy his size.

I’m higher on Ray than most. His tools are undeniable. He can be an elite college rebounder. He has to get past whatever it was that derailed his season last year, and it wasn’t just the injury.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby panhandle_pony » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:42 pm

I agree with LA regarding Ray. Watching him early last season I predicted him as the class Sleeper. Still think so
panhandle_pony
All-American

Postby mrydel » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:11 pm

I think Douglas has real upside potential. Love his defense.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:21 pm

mrydel wrote:I think Douglas has real upside potential. Love his defense.

I know there are some dissenting opinions on William Douglas but I do believe he will prove he belongs on the court.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Stallion » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm

Sterling Brown averaged 4.4 ppg as a true freshman and played a lot more minutes than William Douglas who averaged 2.0 ppg. Brown basically averaged an extra bucket per game. Both showed more upside on the defensive end hustling than they did on Offense as true freshman
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball