PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

5’7” Bryce Cook Commits 2019

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

5’7” Bryce Cook Commits 2019

Postby PonyLaw90 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:40 pm

New commit today. Looks like battle was between us and Tulsa. Watched video.

(Edited comments). Watched additional videos. Has mad handles. Smaller Allen Iverson?
Last edited by PonyLaw90 on Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Re: 5’7” Bryce Cook Commits 2019

Postby smupony94 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:16 pm

PonyLaw90 wrote:New commit today. Looks like battle was between us and Tulsa. Watched video. Hoping Jank sees something I don’t. Doesn’t look as good as sedrick B or E Landrum.

He doesn't look like either of them which is good because this kid can actually play
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:49 pm

PonyLaw90 wrote:New commit today. Looks like battle was between us and Tulsa. Watched video. Hoping Jank sees something I don’t. Doesn’t look as good as sedrick B or E Landrum.

So nice of you to welcome him with open arms :roll:

Nice handles. OK St offered too
Pony ^

Postby PonyLaw90 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:46 pm

Its not that I'm not welcoming him with open arms. My comments were that based on his videos, and comparing the videos I recall seeing of Sedrick and Elijah, they looked better. But I know that the videos don't always tell the whole story. I'm hoping for the best.
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:46 pm

Not sure what videos you watched but Cook can play. No debating his height but he’s the same size as the greatest player to play in our program over the past twenty years so there’s that. If we pair him with Caston or another bigger PG/combo guard I think this is a nice get. He also plays with an edge and I mean that as a compliment. He won’t back down from anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3_ujY-4wvg

Don't like him talking to Froggie Archie 8) but......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kit9Np4PGEY
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby ponyboy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:41 pm

Fun player
ponyboy

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:10 pm

Hope he wears 11
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:26 am

LA_Mustang wrote:Not sure what videos you watched but Cook can play. No debating his height but he’s the same size as the greatest player to play in our program over the past twenty years so there’s that. If we pair him with Caston or another bigger PG/combo guard I think this is a nice get. He also plays with an edge and I mean that as a compliment. He won’t back down from anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3_ujY-4wvg

Don't like him talking to Froggie Archie 8) but......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kit9Np4PGEY

I am with LA. No clue what videos you were watching, but if it’s just based off videos he is wow in most of them(not that videos means a ton). He plays nothing like Landrum or Sed B. Both of them are score first PGs and Cook is a pass-first floor general type PG. Not similar styles at all. Landrum was always a head scratcher when we signed him.

Cook has elite vision and handles. Super quick and my favorite part of his game, unlike watching Landrum or Douglas, he has a crazy quick Nic Moore like trigger in getting off his jumper(which makes me think it will be easier for him to translate at his size). He gets his shot off so quickly even scoring on guys like Avery Anderson, Kyler Edwards, Samuel Williamson, etc.

I have seen Hoop mention this but he also has that Nic Moore leadership and alpha personality. Really his only major flaw is that he is Nic Moore size. I love him if you pair him with a bigger PG target, Cook has Nic Moore level upside. He could not translate and just be a decent backup PG who can handle, make open jumpers and set up his teamates, only time will tell. High risk high reward type prospect.

Add to videos LA posted:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E16KmMVRy ... e=youtu.be
https://youtu.be/UAIA0jXN_g8
https://youtu.be/rhYPuo1HYTk
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:05 am

[quote="PonyLawExpress"] Cook has elite vision and handles. Super quick and my favorite part of his game, unlike watching Landrum or Douglas, he has a crazy quick Nic Moore like trigger in getting off his jumper(which makes me think it will be easier for him to translate at his size). He gets his shot off so quickly even scoring on guys like Avery Anderson, Kyler Edwards, Samuel Williamson, etc.

I have seen Hoop mention this but he also has that Nic Moore leadership and alpha personality. Really his only major flaw is that he is Nic Moore size. I love him if you pair him with a bigger PG target, Cook has Nic Moore level upside. He could not translate and just be a decent backup PG who can handle, make open jumpers and set up his teamates, only time will tell. High risk high reward type prospect.

Agree. Jank took a chance with (too small) Nic and we all know how that turned out. Might be a defensive liability in man, but could be a strong point when we go zone. Appears to be a Nic Moore type offensive player, especially if he has range for the college game (and is a better shooter than Landrum proved to be). He could really open up the floor with his quickness and handles.
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:12 am

You can't measure what's in here (pointing at heart)
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mrydel » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:15 am

However, it does pose a problem on defense, so like Nic he will have to more than make up for that on the offensive side.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:07 pm

The kid is an ankle breaker and will give opposing defenses fits. Defense will be an issue but he’ll most likely take at least one or two charges per game to compensate. When it comes to attitude he’s 7 feet.
It ain’t the size of the dog in the fight....

Besides, we finally have the schollies to take a risk now and then.

He’ll be good for Moody and a fan favorite.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby ponyboy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:02 am

Just rewatched that highlight video LA posted. I think I twisted an ankle
ponyboy

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:23 pm

ponyboy wrote:Just rewatched that highlight video LA posted. I think I twisted an ankle

This guy can flat out play. In AAU every time he played a higher ranked PG he would kick their [deleted]. He plays with a chip on his shoulder and similar to Nic, he gets his shot off quick. Again, pair him with Caston or Gordon and we are in good shape in the backcourt.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:22 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Just rewatched that highlight video LA posted. I think I twisted an ankle

This guy can flat out play. In AAU every time he played a higher ranked PG he would kick their [deleted]. He plays with a chip on his shoulder and similar to Nic, he gets his shot off quick. Again, pair him with Caston or Gordon and we are in good shape in the backcourt.

Hoping there will be some really talented guys who want to play with him.
Charleston Pony

Next

Return to Basketball