PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2nd Recruit on Board for 2019

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2nd Recruit on Board for 2019

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:48 am

Pony ^ wrote:In the meantime, Memphis had Memphis Madness last night with 18,000 people, every top recruit imaginable, and celebrities court-side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obZvHYgx1bU

Looks like that was a fun event. I mentioned having something like that to our AD but he did not want to do it. Even if we had a couple of thousand fans show up it would still be fun for fans and recruits imo
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:24 pm

That sucks to hear.
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:38 pm

I asked him when Coach Brown was here. Don’t know if he still has the same position or not.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:40 pm

Anyone know how Ray is recovering from his injury? Will he be ready for the beginning of the season? Also will Foster be ready for the beginning of the season?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Stallion » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:44 pm

I guess you need a 247 subscription too
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JasonB » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:46 am

So, Ray and Foster are out at the start of the season. If that is the case, then not sure why we are complaining about a soft schedule. Give Hunt and the others a chance to work in the system and play well together before we get to the December break and can practice as a full team.

Great to hear that Ethan is in great shape, and that Whitt has significantly improved his shot. If Whitt is able to hit threes, it makes the offense a LOT better.

Whitt-Dixon-McMurray-Mike-Chargois should be good enough to handle the non-conference. Hunt/White off the bench is really thin to begin with, so I doubt they will be able to redshirt Young, unfortunately.
JasonB

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:27 pm

JasonB wrote:So, Ray and Foster are out at the start of the season. If that is the case, then not sure why we are complaining about a soft schedule. Give Hunt and the others a chance to work in the system and play well together before we get to the December break and can practice as a full team.

Great to hear that Ethan is in great shape, and that Whitt has significantly improved his shot. If Whitt is able to hit threes, it makes the offense a LOT better.

Whitt-Dixon-McMurray-Mike-Chargois should be good enough to handle the non-conference. Hunt/White off the bench is really thin to begin with, so I doubt they will be able to redshirt Young, unfortunately.

I hate the scheduling logic that since we have injuries, or a lot of new players it is a good thing we have a soft OOC. I would much rather trade a couple of our 250+ RPI opponents for the likes of Arkansas or LSU or Iowa St or Miami even if they resulted in losses. I think the committee would prefer a school that goes 8-4 or 9-3 in OOC with matchups against four or five quality opponents over a school that goes 10-2 or 11-1 against two quality opponents and a bunch of cupcakes. We have too much talent on this roster to be that damn scared of a couple more quality games. And don’t kid yourself, Jank could have scheduled more if he really wanted to...

Jank’s scheduling this season is a disservice to the players, the fans and the program. No way to give it a positive spin even with injury concerns.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:47 pm

JasonB wrote:So, Ray and Foster are out at the start of the season. If that is the case, then not sure why we are complaining about a soft schedule. Give Hunt and the others a chance to work in the system and play well together before we get to the December break and can practice as a full team.

You missed Douglas. An improved Douglas who can be a three and D guy would be huge for this team. I really hope he steps up a notch or two.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:21 pm

Where was it reported that Ray and Foster will miss the start of the season? And who said Whitt’s jumper has dramatically improved?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby smupony94 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:37 pm

Don't plagiarize pay sites and you won't kicked kicked off the site. You would know this info by now.
smupony94

Postby JasonB » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:26 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Where was it reported that Ray and Foster will miss the start of the season? And who said Whitt’s jumper has dramatically improved?

I'm not plagiarizing the pay sites... and to be clear I didn't get kicked off for that reason. I was kicked off because I was critical of one of their former writer's behavior during fall practice back when June was coaching, and they view me as a "competitor" because I write practice notes twice a year on this site. At least, that is the reason they told me.

There is a podcast that interviewed Jank. The SMU men's basketball facebook account linked to it (yes, facebook, I'm old).

LA - I completely understand the frustration. I'm just saying it won't be an excuse. The goal every season is an NCAA berth. He scheduled low non-conference - the expectation is that we pretty much win out; any losses against lower ranked team will have a negative reaction, regardless of who is injured. I would argue that if he scheduled difficult, there would be a built in excuse....
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:01 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:

You missed Douglas. An improved Douglas who can be a three and D guy would be huge for this team. I really hope he steps up a notch or two.

I agree...that Memphis Doug could turn out to be a huge factor in whether this team surprises this season. Most coaches will tell you to expect a player's most dramatic improvement to come between his 1st and second seasons. We will learn this year whether Douglas is going to become a player for SMU or just another recruiting miss.
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyTime » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:41 am

Pony ^ wrote:In the meantime, Memphis had Memphis Madness last night with 18,000 people, every top recruit imaginable, and celebrities court-side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obZvHYgx1bU

Looked to see which Celebs showed.

Serious question here - are Moneybagg Yo, Derez De'Shon, Blocboy JB, and Drumma Boy considered Celebrities? I have not heard of one of those rap artists - but I am not into current rap scene - so that probably explains my lack of knowledge.

We need to get Jason Garrett to bring Zeke and Dak to a game this year.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:45 am

PonyTime wrote:We need to get Jason Garrett to bring Zeke and Dak to a game this year.

I really don't think it would be a good idea to have Zeke around our coeds. #MeToo
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:05 am

Serious question here - are Moneybag Yo.......

Trump was there?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball