PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2nd Recruit on Board for 2019

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2nd Recruit on Board for 2019

Postby Ponyneighbor » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:02 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:Posters say....

Give Jank a chance, look at our past success, be patient with him, you can't fire a successful coach, let's see how the new talent develops....blah blah blah

You people realize that we will be rolling out Nat Dixon, Everett Ray, Bryce Cook, Darrius McBride, Jahmar Young and Curtis White????? These 6 players are BY FAR....BY FAR the lowest ranked players we have recruited in the past 7 years. He is now going way below Doh-level in caliber of talent.

Blaise, Cunningham, Dickerson, Jalen, Ryan Manuel, Uche are all players Coach Doh signed during the last 2 years of his stay here that were much higher regarded than the Jank list above....WITHOUT the Moody renovation, WITHOUT Moody Madness, WITHOUT the Sellout crowds and national coverage, WITHOUT NIT and NCAA Tourney games.

Coach Doh is now officially out recruiting Jank. Completely unacceptable.

So for me, its either NCAA Tourney or Bust. In other words, Jank has got to go. And yes, if Pitino could pass due diligence (which I strongly doubt), I would fire Jank today and replace him.

Thank you. I am so glad someone went back and did the math on this, because I’ve been thinking the same thing for about a year now.

The head-in-the-sand nature of most posters boggles my mind. Of course this team is going to win a few games (but not sniff the tournament by a long shot) this year with the few remaining holdovers from the Brown era. And OF COURSE we are going to be terrible when the team is populated entirely with these basically unrecruited players. Is the correlation between quality recruits and wins such a foreign concept that we have to wait two years to see it proven out again before we replace Jank?
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:21 am

LA_Mustang wrote:#DITR U

Or transfer U? This year's starting 5: Whitt (TR) McMurray (TR) Mike (TR) Chargois (Jank recruit) and hopefully Jarrey (LB/Jank recruit). Bench is Jank's and that appears to be everyone's concern going forward. It's obvious we aren't beating P5 schools for 4 & 5 star guys but when have we done that with any consistency? Transfers have and will presumably continue to be a huge part of SMU's recruiting, especially as we return to the full compliment of 'ships. Problem/concern is whether Jank can attract the same caliber of transfer (because I assume it was LB's being here that influenced all of our current transfers)
Last edited by Charleston Pony on Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:30 am

In my opinion we need to be getting some top 150 recruits with P5 offers which might be 3 star recruits. SMU should be able to do that in the conference since it is a mostly hoops conference for the most part. Again let’s focus on the offers not the stars at this point. Not a good thing to rely on transfers only. That’s what lower level mid majors do. Have a good mix of both.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby JasonB » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:49 am

Ponyneighbor wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:Posters say....

Give Jank a chance, look at our past success, be patient with him, you can't fire a successful coach, let's see how the new talent develops....blah blah blah

You people realize that we will be rolling out Nat Dixon, Everett Ray, Bryce Cook, Darrius McBride, Jahmar Young and Curtis White????? These 6 players are BY FAR....BY FAR the lowest ranked players we have recruited in the past 7 years. He is now going way below Doh-level in caliber of talent.

Blaise, Cunningham, Dickerson, Jalen, Ryan Manuel, Uche are all players Coach Doh signed during the last 2 years of his stay here that were much higher regarded than the Jank list above....WITHOUT the Moody renovation, WITHOUT Moody Madness, WITHOUT the Sellout crowds and national coverage, WITHOUT NIT and NCAA Tourney games.

Coach Doh is now officially out recruiting Jank. Completely unacceptable.

So for me, its either NCAA Tourney or Bust. In other words, Jank has got to go. And yes, if Pitino could pass due diligence (which I strongly doubt), I would fire Jank today and replace him.

Thank you. I am so glad someone went back and did the math on this, because I’ve been thinking the same thing for about a year now.

The head-in-the-sand nature of most posters boggles my mind. Of course this team is going to win a few games (but not sniff the tournament by a long shot) this year with the few remaining holdovers from the Brown era. And OF COURSE we are going to be terrible when the team is populated entirely with these basically unrecruited players. Is the correlation between quality recruits and wins such a foreign concept that we have to wait two years to see it proven out again before we replace Jank?

NOBODY has their head in the sand. Period.

Everyone recognizes the drop. Everyone expected more last season, even with the injuries. Everyone recognizes that the 2019 class is super important because we don't have recruiting restrictions, and with Jamaal and Foster graduation, a great Frosh can step in and compete immediately in the backcourt. And we should expect a very strong transfer as well, because that is how you win in college basketball.

No head in the sand All folks are saying is he has this year to show that things are back on track, or else he is gone. Period. Done. Let the season and the rest of the recruiting class play out. There isn't a single poster on this board who is going to be on board with Jank if he goes 13-0 in non-conference and then finishes 20-10. Even if we have injuries, it was his job to recruit depth without the restrictions. Again, I would argue that even with a short bench we should have handled last year better. So, I don't even give him a hall pass on last season.

Down low, Chargois and Mike with Hunt, Young and Ray off the bench should be strong enough to compete in our league.

At guard, Whitt, Jamaal, Foster with Douglas, Dixon, White is a strong enough starting group to compete in the league, even if the bench is dodgy. But, again, the bench is all on Jank if it doesn't work out, so there is no hall pass there either.

All of our expectations should be on a top 4 finish in the league; anything outside of that should be a severe disappointment, because it means no shot at the NCAA. And guess what? Even if he gets to the NCAA this season, but doesn't backfill recruits for what we lose and next year we don't compete in conference, he is gone. Again, no head in the sand...
JasonB

Postby Stallion » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:00 am

somebody buy JasonB a 247 subscription so he stops posting stuff that everybody else knows is not accurate
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:05 am

Yeah but that's half the fun disinformation
One Trick Pony

Postby JasonB » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:29 am

Stallion wrote:somebody buy JasonB a 247 subscription so he stops posting stuff that everybody else knows is not accurate

What isn't accurate? Are they saying the people in the administration DO have their head in the sand?
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:21 pm

How many slots does this class have open.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby JasonB » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:53 pm

Rebel10 wrote:How many slots does this class have open.

Ahhh, is that where I am off base? I thought we still had 2?
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:52 pm

I thought we had 5 to give for next year meaning we still have 3 openings. Someone can correct me if that's wrong but I thought next year we were back to 13 'ships
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:26 pm

Stallion wrote:somebody buy JasonB a 247 subscription so he stops posting stuff that everybody else knows is not accurate

Geez, what a petty thing to say.

Great post, JasonB
ponyboy

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:27 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:

I thought we had 5 to give for next year meaning we still have 3 openings. Someone can correct me if that's wrong but I thought next year we were back to 13 'ships

If we do have 3 opening does anyone know who the next targets are and if they are top 150 players?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:57 am

In the meantime, Memphis had Memphis Madness last night with 18,000 people, every top recruit imaginable, and celebrities court-side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obZvHYgx1bU

Pony ^

Postby JasonB » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:08 am

That hire has really amped up the fan base, rejuvenated the program. Great to have that in the AAC.

If Jank doesn't work out, do we bring back Koncak? :)
JasonB

Postby PonyLaw90 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:10 am

Our conference needs Memphis to return to respectability. That’s an impressive turnout but I’m pretty sure it was free admission- which is not a bad thing. Memphis has to reengage the fans it has lost and bring in some new ones.

Being a small private school, we will never have that type of support until and unless we decide to open our campus and doors to those who will never attend our school.
PonyLaw90
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball