PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2nd Recruit on Board for 2019

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

2nd Recruit on Board for 2019

Postby max the wonder dog » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:45 pm

Darius McBride, a 6'3" shooting guard from Vista Ridge in Cedar Park near Austin, has committed per his Tweet.

AAU team is Urban ASAK and 247 reports he captured Jank's attention with his Spring and Summer play. Couldn't find any state or national rankings. Rivals has him as a 3 Star. No offers from elite programs, but he has one from Brown, so remaining eligible shouldn't be a problem.

By my math, and assuming no attrition, we have a total of 5 scholarships for next year. (13 minus 8 returning players.)
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Re: 2nd Recruit on Board for 2019

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:28 pm

He has 9 meaningless offers, but still 9 offers, so it’s hard to describe him as an ‘under the radar’ type of guy.

Question - How do you destroy a Top 20 program?

Answer - You Jank It.

Just as coaches are looking non-stop at better opportunities for themselves 24/7, I hope we are doing the same.

We need a new HC.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby jpe747 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:50 pm

The team is going to be real young this year. I think we will have a bit more help around the basket. I wish there was time to get another transfer or two. GLJ.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:04 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:He has 9 meaningless offers, but still 9 offers, so it’s hard to describe him as an ‘under the radar’ type of guy.

Question - How do you destroy a Top 20 program?

Answer - You Jank It.

Just as coaches are looking non-stop at better opportunities for themselves 24/7, I hope we are doing the same.

We need a new HC.

Hot seat year for Jank. Poor scheduling, poor recruiting.
Let’s see if he can coach this crew up. I’ll reserve judgement until they actually play.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:03 pm

Sadder,

I don’t think coaching is one of Jank’s strong points.

I would also argue Doh brought in similar talent to what we’ve seen recently by Jank.

Given our incredibly uninspiring ncs and the fact that there may not be a Top 25 team in our conference, I could easily see us win 20+ games and still not be that good. Worse is we are now trending down.

Based on recruiting alone, he needs to go*.

* sure, for sake of clarity, he should be given this year.
SoCal_Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:44 pm

I know a guy from Louisville would take that job and run with it.
One Trick Pony

Postby smupony94 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:51 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:I know a guy from Louisville would take that job and run with it.

No good Italian near campus
smupony94

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:53 pm

smupony94 wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:I know a guy from Louisville would take that job and run with it.

No good Italian near campus

Well there's some of the PC group that would claim it wouldn't be good for the campus , but ship - this is the biggest black eye in the nation..

You're a Scholastic School sort of

Anyone watching the Rainbow Warriors?
One Trick Pony

Postby Ponyneighbor » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:46 pm

I knew LB was an aberration, but I did not think the fall from grace would be this fast. This has been an amazingly bad exhibition of recruiting over the last year. I’m wary of him doing the kind of damage June did by recruiting from his laptop from the beach for two years. Cut bait now?
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

Postby JasonB » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:43 pm

Holy crap, I know this will get me branded as a Jank lover just like I was branded as a June lover, but can we at least let this play out a little bit? Last year was a disaster by a ton of different accounts. I, for one, believe we should have done better regardless of the season ending injuries and Chargois hitting the flu wall and all of that.

Because of what the AAU is, clean programs have to get solid recruits and then rely on quality transfers. That's how it is. Shake and Jarrey made us solid, Semi made us elite. That is how the game is played right now.

Our lineup this year is fine. Chargois, Mike and Ray rotating at the 4-5 with Young if necessary isn't bad at all, probably one of the better forward lines in conference (I am higher on Ray than most of you). Jarray playing a 3 guard with Douglas behind him again is probably the best 3 spot in the conference. Whitt and McMurray isn't a bad 1-2. Dixon/White off the bench behind them I am much more concerned about. Not picking up a known quantity at PG in the '18 class was a miss - we know we missed with how long it took to sign the last guard.

Next year, you lose Foster, McMurray, and Dixon. But we need to let the transfer season play out before we go all doom and gloom. The two recruits so far aren't step in and play guys, they are depth and down the line. Which, yes, you actually need to have when you have a full allotment of scholarships. Believe it or not, SMU isn't yet the school where stud players come to sit on the bench for a couple of years when the starters are great. Players come here to actually play. Transfer season is going to make or break next year's class and next year's team.

BTW - you are going to see the exact same thing in football. We will sign decent classes, and then get elite transfers to take the team to the next level. That is the name of the game.

And I know the schedule sucks. We are going to run a lot of those teams out of the building, because we have 4 good scorers on the team (McMurray, Foster, Mike, and Chargois), and a very solid 5th guy in Whitt. But for the first time in 3 years, we are probably going to run an actual offense and defense without the positionless stuff, we are going to transition to playing a lot more man to man, and we are going to have to get used to actually having a rotation. But on the plus side, we will win over 20 games and at least be in the conversation on selection sunday, which keeps the brand going after an off year.

At least wait to freak out until rumors come out that we lost to UT by 40 in a preseason scrimmage :).
JasonB

Postby PonyTime » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:37 am

I am one who dropped my tix. But - This happens and mark me down for 4 tix at double the cost. It will mean we are committed once again to elite hoops. I know others will not agree with me - but I will happily take 2-3 elite years followed by 4 years of probation.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:49 am

All day long. And it would be harder to get caught if you don't turn yourself in lol
One Trick Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:15 am

LOL.... Ricky don’t lose that number.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:17 am

But if you had a change of heart
One Trick Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:18 am

And.... this year’s secret scrimmage isn’t with UT. It’s with The Washington Generals.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Next

Return to Basketball