PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2nd Recruit on Board for 2019

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2nd Recruit on Board for 2019

Postby mrydel » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:32 am

Might be safer to hire Ricky’s kid and let dad coach from the stands.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Cedar Park SG commits to SMU

Postby PonyPride » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:36 pm

Cedar Park (Vista Ridge), Texas shooting guard Darius McBride announced on his Twitter account that he has committed to SMU. Listed at 6'4" on most sites and anywhere between 165 and 180, depending on where you look. Reports offers from Brown, Stephen F. Austin, Denver, Incarnate Word, Lamar, Sam Houston State, Texas-Permian Basin and Hartford.

Highlight clips
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:35 pm

JasonB wrote:
Because of what the AAU is, clean programs have to get solid recruits and then rely on quality transfers. That's how it is. Shake and Jarrey made us solid, Semi made us elite. That is how the game is played right now.

But what Jank is missing out of your own equation is the solid recruits. Our last 4 commits, and even Dixon if you want to throw him in, had limited options when choosing to play at a high level in college bball. By few I mean SMU was their only choice.

Yes this year will be fine and it will mask Jank’s ineptitude, but this is very alarming.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:54 pm

PonyPlayer4 wrote:
JasonB wrote:
Because of what the AAU is, clean programs have to get solid recruits and then rely on quality transfers. That's how it is. Shake and Jarrey made us solid, Semi made us elite. That is how the game is played right now.

But what Jank is missing out of your own equation is the solid recruits. Our last 4 commits, and even Dixon if you want to throw him in, had limited options when choosing to play at a high level in college bball. By few I mean SMU was their only choice.

Yes this year will be fine and it will mask Jank’s ineptitude, but this is very alarming.

We still have open slots on the next class, I believe... let it develop. Cook is a size risk, but he seems like a guy other stud recruits respect and could be one of those leaders who helps fill in the class. We will see.

From last year's class, I think both Hunt and Young will be considered solid recruits. We held the guard scholarship until we were sure Shake was leaving, and weren't an attractive spot for a GT because of McMurray and Whitt. We got what we could in GT and then tried to get that other guard late, missed, and got what we could. Kind of a tough situation that I don't think we should throw completely on Jank.
JasonB

Postby blackoutpony » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:06 pm

JasonB wrote:
PonyPlayer4 wrote:
JasonB wrote:

We still have open slots on the next class, I believe... let it develop. Cook is a size risk, but he seems like a guy other stud recruits respect and could be one of those leaders who helps fill in the class. We will see.

From last year's class, I think both Hunt and Young will be considered solid recruits. We held the guard scholarship until we were sure Shake was leaving, and weren't an attractive spot for a GT because of McMurray and Whitt. We got what we could in GT and then tried to get that other guard late, missed, and got what we could. Kind of a tough situation that I don't think we should throw completely on Jank.

You’re so clueless if you think we need to “let this play out”. This is a kid we could’ve gotten in Spring after Jank missed on everyone else. There is literally zero reason to take him now.

Jank needs to go now before he can do anymore damage. He is not the answer and never ever was.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby originaloverthehilltop1 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:18 am

he had a fine resume and was"genius idea" as coach in waiting elect. that coaching job in the win last yr at witchita was really good. yeah, he has to have a couple top notch recruits in next class. but he deserves a chance. most of the bad news over the last year or 2 (including his last recriuting year) belong to b brown.
originaloverthehilltop1
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:44 am

Totally agree, over the hilltop
ponyboy

Postby skyscraper » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:19 pm

This is a slow moving disaster in the making.
What good decision has been made in the basketball office since the start of 2018?
There is ZERO reason this kid should've been offered and taken by us at this point in time.
skyscraper

Postby Ponyneighbor » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:36 pm

Agree, except that it has not been slow-moving - the athletic department has been watching Jank strike out on one recruiting target after another for 1.5 years, hence the desperate money grab - I mean re-seat. To be fair, though, I’d be surprised if anyone thought it would get this bad this fast
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:14 pm

Patience young grasshoppers....
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby PonyLaw90 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:47 pm

Meantime, Sonny has the top ranked class in the AAC....
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:44 pm

I have put a note in my will to not let any of you check my pulse if I am sleeping.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby blackoutpony » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:34 pm

originaloverthehilltop1 wrote:he had a fine resume and was"genius idea" as coach in waiting elect. that coaching job in the win last yr at witchita was really good. yeah, he has to have a couple top notch recruits in next class. but he deserves a chance. most of the bad news over the last year or 2 (including his last recriuting year) belong to b brown.

You should go look at his resume. He never made a touney game or even past the second round of the NIT before he came here. Never won a conference tourney and always choked at the end of big games.

And no it wasn't a "genius hire". Most everyone was pretty ok about it. I personally did not like it at all.

Not sure what your definition of a "good resume" is, but he did not have one.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:11 pm

Mexmustang, is that you?

Give the guy a couple of years with something resembling no restrictions
ponyboy

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:43 pm

Ponyneighbor wrote:Agree, except that it has not been slow-moving - the athletic department has been watching Jank strike out on one recruiting target after another for 1.5 years, hence the desperate money grab - I mean re-seat. To be fair, though, I’d be surprised if anyone thought it would get this bad this fast

Well I agree with you, but would argue 2 years, not 1.5 years.

Chargois has surpassed expectations, Douglas not yet, but both had the pedigree you are looking for in terms of other offers.

I think its a red flag when you recruit kids from Oklahoma that don't have either an OU or OK St offer, such as Landrum. Shake and Chargois of course both had OU and OK St offers

Ray was a complete flyer. Nothing wrong with taking that type of kid, except when you have limited scholarships. That always bothered me a bit.

It's been downhill since.
SoCal_Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball