PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2nd Recruit on Board for 2019

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2nd Recruit on Board for 2019

Postby ponyboy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:54 am

2019 is a little worrisome, especially the latest commit. I do like Cook though.

But in 2018 we got Nat Dixon as a transfer, a guy who is very experienced and will contribute. And we got Feron Hunt, a legit 4 star guy who many wanted -- especially our cross town rivals. We got Jahmar Young, Jr. You don't like those guys?

I get the worry, but I'm feeling ok about SMU basketball at the moment.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RI Stang » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:01 am

If the rumors are true and the staff lands who many think they will with the next 2019 ship, that will quiet things down. The 2019 guys they have thus far are fine, but they are bottom of the class guys - for some reason we are going in the opposite order, maybe staff nerves due to the 2018 PG fiasco. If it were flipped, this commit wouldn't have generated a ton of conversation I don't think.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:24 am

Excellent. After a brief search, I am guessing Dylan Disu out of Pflugerville? Another 4 star guy, top 10 in Texas, offers from some nice schools. Looks like he's visiting next weekend when the Boulevard is in FULL swing for the TCU game

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Dylan ... Interests/
ponyboy

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:50 am

ponyboy wrote:2019 is a little worrisome, especially the latest commit. I do like Cook though.

But in 2018 we got Nat Dixon as a transfer, a guy who is very experienced and will contribute. And we got Feron Hunt, a legit 4 star guy who many wanted -- especially our cross town rivals. We got Jahmar Young, Jr. You don't like those guys?

I get the worry, but I'm feeling ok about SMU basketball at the moment.

I'm sure Dixon will contribute, and to me that reveals a weakness in our roster.

The last legit 4 star/Top 100 recruit SMU got was Shake Milton. Feron Hunt is ranked closer to a Top 200 recruit and Jahmar Young around 350 nationally.

That 2018 class was ranked #6 in the AAC by 24/7 and #90 Nationally.

That does not an NCAA tourney team make.
SoCal_Pony

Postby blackoutpony » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:20 pm

ponyboy wrote:Mexmustang, is that you?

Give the guy a couple of years with something resembling no restrictions

What did I say that was not accurate? Please go look at his resume and tell me how it's "good" for a program that fancies itself (or at least the AD does) as a high-major.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:40 pm

He's 56-21 here with AAC regular season and tourney championships -- as well as an AAC Coach of the Year award. He took us to the Dance. All under severe recruiting restrictions not of his doing and sometimes with a six and seven man group from which to choose five men to put on the floor.

Not sure exactly what you're looking for, but I'm good with giving him a chance for a little while longer.
ponyboy

Postby Ponyneighbor » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:01 pm

Give me a break. He won all those games with LB’s players, and would people please stop with the tired, illogical recruiting restrictions argument? Gang, he gave out 4 scholarships last year - the number wasn’t the problem. It’s the players he used them on that’s the problem. And how he’s using this year’s scholarships is a bigger problem.
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

Postby skyscraper » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:50 pm

A shocking amount of Jank apologists on here.
This is gonna go down just like it did with June. "But he took us to a bowl game... just give him a few more years."
Meanwhile, anyone with any basketball IQ is watching in horror as our Top 25 program is slowly being dismantled by questionable recruiting and poor scheduling.
skyscraper

Postby JasonB » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:45 pm

skyscraper wrote:A shocking amount of Jank apologists on here.
This is gonna go down just like it did with June. "But he took us to a bowl game... just give him a few more years."
Meanwhile, anyone with any basketball IQ is watching in horror as our Top 25 program is slowly being dismantled by questionable recruiting and poor scheduling.

June took us to 4 straight bowls, our only bowls in 25 years, and had one 5-7 season. He was given one more season to right the ship, bottom fell out and he was gone.

Jank had things fall apart last year, but had the injury crutch to lean on. If this team doesn't compete in the AAC and he doesn't have a good class coming in next year, I absolutely think he is on the hot seat before the season ends.

All some of us are saying is to let the rest of the recruiting + transfer class fill out and see how this season goes before you fire the guy. If he fails, he will be replaced. Nobody associated with the basketball program has expectations of mediocrity. NCAA berths are expected.
JasonB

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:57 pm

JasonB wrote:NCAA berths are expected.

I expect at least one win sometime.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:26 pm

skyscraper wrote:A shocking amount of Jank apologists on here.

I suspect the poor scheduling is a direct result of the questionable recruiting and is an attempt to mask it.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:29 pm

Weak scheduling was a complaint the Illinois State faithful had about Jank during his time there (at least per my new neighbor who is a pretty hard core Redbird fan)
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:14 am

I think he deserves a chance to show what he can do in recruiting this year with a full allotment of scholarships and on the court with a healthy roster. I am not alone in this regard.

https://twitter.com/franfraschilla/stat ... 1092813825
mustangxc

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:34 pm

FWIW I think Jank > Dykes. Not saying much but figure I mention it.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:01 am

Being a college basketball coach has many tasks, the two primary ones, being coaching and recruiting. Janks has shown he is an excellent game coach (yes with Larry Brown players). So, far his recruiting hasn't wowed us. Since we are not Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, or UNC, and because we are not in the ACC, Big XII or Pac12 we start off with one hand tied behind our backs. Add in school recruiting restrictions (and there are still some), you have more difficulty. So, you are now in one of two categories. the four year mid-major program that has one or two great years every four years (think GMU, VCU, Butler); or we can try and go after the big fish and sometimes hit and be irrelevant the rest of the time. I suspect that Jank is pursuing the four year style. Get as many players as you can who fit your style of play and then coach them up to win your conference and be relevant in your conference year in and year out. With the new NBA rules, recruiting is going to change for the big boys and they will have to learn how to recruit the plan B players now. The problem for us is that now we'll be up against Duke, KY, UNC, UCLA, etc. for the talent we've been getting.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball