PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2nd Recruit on Board for 2019

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2nd Recruit on Board for 2019

Postby ponyboy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:29 am

Let's see what song we're singing after this season. If we get mediocre results on the court, yes we talk about making a move. Too early right now IMO
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby skyscraper » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:27 pm

I have a horrible feeling the cupcake schedule is gonna make things seem better than they really are and Jank gets to hold onto his job... even though his dreadful recruiting is gonna kill us.
skyscraper

Postby JasonB » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:54 pm

skyscraper wrote:I have a horrible feeling the cupcake schedule is gonna make things seem better than they really are and Jank gets to hold onto his job... even though his dreadful recruiting is gonna kill us.

I think the expectation level for the program is pretty high. If the squad stays mostly injury free and we are .500 or worse in conference, Jank is out. I don't think that will happen, but he would certainly lose his job.
JasonB

Postby mavsrage311 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:16 pm

ponyboy wrote:Let's see what song we're singing after this season. If we get mediocre results on the court, yes we talk about making a move. Too early right now IMO

Seem to remember you saying the same thing about June his last year or two while the rest of us figured out pretty quickly what the results would be in the future based on recruiting. The way things are going, it looks like it's going to be the same slow death for Jank.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:06 pm

it's a little different though because despite all the freaking out the 2019 class isn't signed yet-in the early period as well as the late period. There are all kinds of ways-including non-traditional ways- that a basketball recruiting class could fill up with quality grad, Division 1A and JUCO transfers as well as International players. Jank's problem isn't getting in the door with top recruits it's just that he's finished 2nd (usually out a strong list) for about 6-7 top recruits. He hasn't closed. I'd agree it's not looking great but you add a few non-traditional recruits-just like Brown did-and SMU could still come out with a competitive class. Once the class is signed and sealed then those projections are more reliable
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:56 pm

skyscraper wrote:I have a horrible feeling the cupcake schedule is gonna make things seem better than they really are and Jank gets to hold onto his job... even though his dreadful recruiting is gonna kill us.

Me too.

It doesn’t help that the same cast of characters who allowed Sheldon that extra year are still here.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:30 pm

Stallion wrote:it's a little different though because despite all the freaking out the 2019 class isn't signed yet-in the early period as well as the late period. There are all kinds of ways-including non-traditional ways- that a basketball recruiting class could fill up with quality grad, Division 1A and JUCO transfers as well as International players. Jank's problem isn't getting in the door with top recruits it's just that he's finished 2nd (usually out a strong list) for about 6-7 top recruits. He hasn't closed. I'd agree it's not looking great but you add a few non-traditional recruits-just like Brown did-and SMU could still come out with a competitive class. Once the class is signed and sealed then those projections are more reliable

Stallion, you have argued that one shouldn’t judge Chad’s middle-of-the-road AAC recruiting at SMU given where we were post-tiki. Conversely, we should temper any Sony vs Chad recruiting comparisons because SMU is in a much better place due to Chad.

You also spoke of viewing Chad’s recruiting in terms of number of offers.

Given these standards, all of which I think have merit, given the fact that from 2014-2017 SMU was a Top 5 program in terms on Winning Percentage, plus given the fact that Moody has been a top basketball venue over these past 5 years (unlike Ford), I don’t understand how you can be so sanguine about Jank’s performance.

SMU’s last 7 commitments have 2 TOTAL P5 offers.

Jank needs to go.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Shetland » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:40 am

Any other 2019 freshman we are looking at? What is the hubbub on why we keep missing? It doesn't make sense. It can't be they just don't like Jank.
Shetland
Scout Team

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:49 am

Hire the Sinner from Louisville I'll toss in 10k maybe 599 are you out of your mind
I've reached out to his people he's willing to take the job @ 1.5 mill a year plus incentives

https://athletespeakers.com/speaker/rick-pitino/
One Trick Pony

Postby JasonB » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:23 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:

Me too.

It doesn’t help that the same cast of characters who allowed Sheldon that extra year are still here.

I get it that all of the signs were there. My point all along was that if a coach comes in and takes SMU to 4 straight bowls after 25 years of ineptness, the optics would have been awful to let him go after one 5-7 season. They talked to him about retirement, but he just wasn't interested in doing that. He knew he had lost the support of most of the administration heading into the next season and quit after one game.

In basketball, it is different. The guy who resurrected the program isn't there. And the expectations for success are certainly there. Everyone associated with the program knows that it is win or bust regarding fans and revenue. If Jank doesn't win this year, he is out, no questions asked. Let it all play out, including the recruiting cycle.
JasonB

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:20 am

JasonB wrote:Everyone associated with the program knows that it is win or bust regarding fans and revenue. If Jank doesn't win this year, he is out, no questions asked. Let it all play out, including the recruiting cycle.

Jason, you are not defining what 'wins' are. The whole point of skyscraper's post is that our cupcake schedule might mask how bad we really are. I could see us be a 20 win team and still not be that good. Failure to win 10 OOC games will be disappointing.

Answer me this, what if SMU reaches 20+ wins primarily on the back of Jarrey Foster mixed in with a few out-of-this-world offensive performances by McMurray? They're both gone after this season.

Nah, for Jank to stay we have to see something tangible from his recruits. That may seem unfair, but that's what you deserve when your last 7 have only 2 P5 offers.

As for the Sheldon / LB comparison, I agree it's different, but it's the spines of Hart and Turner that I question. RGT has always come across as a non-confrontational, behind the curve type of guy. Case in point - Niemi.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:38 am

I agree we need to see how Mike, Chargois, Ray, Douglas, Hunt, Young, White & Dixon look before we can fully evaluate Jank's recruiting. Always going to miss on some, but we need a strong group of 8-9 guys on the roster who can compete with Top 25 caliber teams so Jank has to hit on some of his less recruited guys and on most if not all his transfers. With proven guys like McMurray, Whitt and hopefully Jarrey back, we really need to win more than 20 games this year to consider the season a success. I would be really pleased to see these guys win 25 games because that would likely mean that most, if not all the guys mentioned above will have made significant contributions.
Charleston Pony

Postby papawasamustang » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:10 pm

I'm curious to see how this plays out. There will be a huge # of transfers next season just like there is every season, so I really don't have a problem with the staff leaving a spot or two open if that's the plan. Just check out verbalcommits.com. It will be surprising if SMU doesn't get a couple of transfers to fall in their lap. Just need to be realistic about the odds of getting the hyped recruits, even LB could only get Frazier actually on the court if I remember correctly. Wasn't Brown & B. Moore 3 stars coming out of HS?
"We have a great bunch of outside shooters. Unfortunately, all our games are played indoors."
papawasamustang
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:24 pm

papawasamustang wrote:I'm curious to see how this plays out. There will be a huge # of transfers next season just like there is every season, so I really don't have a problem with the staff leaving a spot or two open if that's the plan. Just check out verbalcommits.com. It will be surprising if SMU doesn't get a couple of transfers to fall in their lap. Just need to be realistic about the odds of getting the hyped recruits, even LB could only get Frazier actually on the court if I remember correctly. Wasn't Brown & B. Moore 3 stars coming out of HS?

Sterling was a 4-star ranked 109 in the class.

https://247sports.com/Player/Sterling-B ... ool-38136/
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby JasonB » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:16 am

As I posted in a different thread, the number of wins means nothing.

Think about it - if he goes 13-0 against a soft non-conference schedule and then finishes at 20-10, I would argue his job will be a lot LESS secure. Expectations will have been built up, and then disappointment will come with a losing conference record. So, yes, I absolutely could see us making a change even with 20 wins. Expectations are that we are in the NCAA every year.

Again, bringing it back to June - he got the program to where a bowl was a minimum expectation. That didn't happen one year, we gave him another shot even though inside a lot were arguing for change. Year 2, he wasn't going to last even if he didn't resign. Jank is on year two. Let it play out, support the team, and see what happens.

To be honest, I think we have a good team this season. I rate Ray a lot higher than some of you, so I think we are deep at bigs and if Douglas develops we have good players at guard who can score.

The bigger challenge is going to be if he gets to the NCAA this year, next year he loses Foster and Jamaal. If he doesn't backfill then we won't have scorers to come in. It could fall quickly, and again it would cost him his job.
JasonB

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball