PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hawaii Game

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Hawaii Game

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:43 pm

that it at least appears this team hasn't quit afterall. It wasn't long ago they were geting blown out early and had no chance to win. At least the recent losses have come down to last shots. Personally, I'm encouraged because I'm not so sure Hawaii isn't the toughest road trip to make in the WAC.

Was also good to see that on a night when Bhop shot 33% from the floor, he handed out 7 assists to go with only 1 turnover.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Recent games

Postby Eddie P » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:56 am

the games do appear to be more tightly contested in recent weeks. A loss is a loss, but we do appear to be playing a little better.
Eddie P
Heisman

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:43 am

thats all Im asking for right now. Playing better than we were! (and not quitting half way through the game to let the other team come from behind)
Mustangs35SMU

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:13 am

Come on, you guys are happy that we're not getting blown out and that we're playing teams close. We play in WAC, against non-top 25 schools and the 50 people who do still care are just glad that we are playing teams close.....great! That is a true testament to how far SMU has fallen. 0-12 in football and third last in a basketball conference that one of the worst in D1. So this is what it feels like when you hit rock bottom. :cry:
LA_Mustang

Postby PonySnob » Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:42 pm

That is the problem with SMU fans. They don't expect to win. They are happy with "close" losses. At some point, SMU fans are going to have to expect the football and basketball teams to have success and demand that they do. Until then, SMU will continue to stay in the cellar in both sports.
PonySnob

Re:

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:10 pm

Well we all know you're not an SMU fan PonySnob...so why the f*ck do you still come on the boards...

Im not happy with us losing. but its not like Im going to go out there and bet money on us winning! Im used to having the teams I for win. I come from Longview HS...Girl's basketball just had our 17 straight district title streak broken this year...Men's basketball won district and is 25-3! Its East Texas...I cant stand our teams losing but Im not going to go crazy over it knowing that we dont have a good shot of winning! If I could I would be out at those games every night to cheer us on. We're only 3 games below .500 we can get there! our Girl's team is playing great basketball just keep it up. Guys gotta work harder and dont let guys like Ponysnob put you down. You know you have the ability to win so prove it us
Mustangs35SMU

Goodness

Postby Eddie P » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:49 pm

I comment (correctly I might add) how recent games have been more tightly contested and that we seems to be playing better and some jackasses decide to open their mouths. Of course, not surprising, considering many of the people lurking on this board.
Eddie P
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:06 pm

Eddie P,

I know you are busy calling SMU FANS that you don’t even know, jackasses and idiots, but I'll ask you the same question I asked last week that you never bothered to answer, do you think the powers that be have put the coaches, marketing staff, and ticket office in a position to be successful?
LA_Mustang

Postby Eddie P » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:11 pm

And I really don't feel the need to respond to you. I feel no obligation whatsoever to answer some anonymous web poster, especially one such as yourself. Just pretend I know nothing about SMU athletics and that will make you feel better.
Eddie P
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:52 pm

I'm not happy we lost, but at least we didn't get blown out which was happening regularly for awhile. When was the last time we won on the Island? Hawaii is the toughest away game in the WAC bar none. That's why they are usually up there in the standings, they rarely lose at home. That tells me that we might have a chance against these guys in the tournament. If Hawaii holds first place, we would get them in the second round (if we win the loser play-in game). That could give this team a bit of momentum then. Now if we can play well at home against Rice and UTEP, we might actually have a chance come tournament time.
EastStang

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:00 pm

Eddie P,
First, I'm not an anonymous poster, I've been posting on here for over a year. Second, no, you don’t have to answer my question that’s your choice. But since you’ve chosen to respond with very criticizing comment towards two of my posts in the past week, I thought you might have the consideration to answer my simple question. Third, the comment "especially one such as yourself," what does that mean? You don’t even know me. I just have to assume you get all defensive when someone has a different opinion or view than you. Let me give you a tip, that doesn’t make them a [deleted].
LA_Mustang

Postby Eddie P » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:40 am

Sounds like you're the one keeping score and getting defensive. If you're going to put vitriolic comments out on a web board then don't get your feelings hurt when people respond in kind.

Regarding your last two posts that I dignified with a response: I believe you made some asinine comment questioning whether Dement either a) didn't care anymore or b) the most professional guy in the world. Your tone indicated the former. I took issue with it. Deal with it.

You then went on a rant yesterday when myself and someone else pointed out that the men's bball teams most recent contests had been tighter. You got on your horse and stated that we must be satisified with close losses now. I responded that it was a [deleted] comment since nothing of the sort was written.

I define anonymous poster as anybody on a web board posting under some alias. I put very little stock in what is said on a web board, so that is why I feel no obligation to answer wide ranging questions on our athletic model from an anonymous poster. I hope that clears things up for you. I don't particularly dislike you, so I really don't want to argue with you anymore.
Eddie P
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:44 am

Regarding your last two posts that I dignified with a response: I believe you made some asinine comment questioning whether Dement either a) didn't care anymore or b) the most professional guy in the world. Your tone indicated the former. I took issue with it. Deal with it.

Get your facts straight before you accuse someone of something your not sure about. The "asinine" comment your referring to was actually made by HoopFan in a post he started called "postgame interview" and the last post made was on Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:13 pm, go check for yourself. FYI, I have been one of the biggest supporters of Dement on this board. He has done the best job possible under the circumstances. As for your comment, I'll do my best to deal with it.

You then went on a rant yesterday when myself and someone else pointed out that the men's bball teams most recent contests had been tighter. You got on your horse and stated that we must be satisified with close losses now.

That really doesn't make sense. Your telling me that I went on a rant because you and another said we should be happy that we've played close games lately. Then you say, I got got on my horse and said that we should be satisfied with close losses. That would mean we we're saying the same thing??? What I actually said was it is sad we're content with close losses in what is one of the worst D1 bball conferences in the country. The WAC will likely get one team in the NCAAs.

I put very little stock in what is said on a web board, so that is why I feel no obligation to answer wide ranging questions on our athletic model from an anonymous poster.

If you consider me asking you if the powers that be have put our coaches, marketing department, and ticket office in a position to be successful is a wide range of questions, then we see things a lot different.

I don't particularly dislike you

I can sleep much easier tonight.
LA_Mustang

Postby Eddie P » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:15 pm

Forgive me for msitaking you with Hoopfan. I apologize.

Again, since you cannot read, here's my quote from earlier: "the games do appear to be more tightly contested in recent weeks. A loss is a loss, but we do appear to be playing a little better.

Where in there did I say I was happy about close games or close losses? It was an observation, nothing more. Learn to read. And if you think that the WAC, currently ranked 9th amongst the conferences in Sagarin rating, is amongst the worst bball conferences around, then we really do see things differently, don't we? Making outlandish statements to fit your little arguments does not make them true.

You truly are a simple, simple creature if you think your question is something that is so easily addressed and explained on a web board. You probably think it's a simple yes or no, perhaps? Whatever, Socrates.

I'm glad you will sleep better. Anything to help a wayward soul.
Eddie P
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball