PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Around the AAC

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Around the AAC

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:43 am

Just read where Coach Fran at Temple will be retiring after this year. He is a class act. They have Aaron Mckie replacing him. McKie has a lot of NBA playing and coaching experience and is from that area. I think he will do well. I wonder if he will be able to recruit as well as Hardaway at Memphis.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Around the AAC

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:40 am

Rebel10 wrote:Just read where Coach Fran at Temple will be retiring after this year. He is a class act. They have Aaron Mckie replacing him. McKie has a lot of NBA playing and coaching experience and is from that area. I think he will do well. I wonder if he will be able to recruit as well as Hardaway at Memphis.

McKie has been an assistant of Dunphy’s for a few years now. He should do well, but I doubt he gets some crazy recruiting uptick and I don’t think many coaches can recruit like Penny can. Plus Penny has the advantage at least for the next year or two of having coached a lot of the kids he is recruiting.

Dangerous time for us to be struggling in recruiting.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:25 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Just read where Coach Fran at Temple will be retiring after this year. He is a class act. They have Aaron Mckie replacing him. McKie has a lot of NBA playing and coaching experience and is from that area. I think he will do well. I wonder if he will be able to recruit as well as Hardaway at Memphis.

McKie has been an assistant of Dunphy’s for a few years now. He should do well, but I doubt he gets some crazy recruiting uptick and I don’t think many coaches can recruit like Penny can. Plus Penny has the advantage at least for the next year or two of having coached a lot of the kids he is recruiting.

Dangerous time for us to be struggling in recruiting.

Great development for the AAC, though. I want to be in a conference that puts pressure on other teams to succeed. Have no idea about his coaching credentials, but that should be very positively received in the Philly area.
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:33 pm

UCF picked in coaches poll to win the AAC.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/ ... 644531002/
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:42 pm

If they stay healthy, UCF is really going to be a tough out this year
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:46 pm

Cincy and UCF are the class of the conference going in, but I think any of the top 8 could have very strong teams. Non-conference will be interesting, because the conference could beat itself up enough that the records aren't sparkling.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:32 am

JasonB wrote:Cincy and UCF are the class of the conference going in, but I think any of the top 8 could have very strong teams. Non-conference will be interesting, because the conference could beat itself up enough that the records aren't sparkling.

I think you are right. Any team that can go 14-4 in conference might win outright this year. I think that's what most predicted last year until Cincy came on strong and SMU folded.
Charleston Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:35 pm

Yup. 14-4 wins it this season. I’d take that as our record in a minute.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:35 pm

#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:03 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Sports Illustrated AAC preview.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... cf-houston

AAC is so wide open. I could see us finishing 2nd or 7th pretty easily. That is true with most of the preseason top 9 teams in the league. I think we have a top 3 roster in the league based on talent, but lots of question marks. Will be an interesting season to see who developed, coaching, and fit.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:50 am

PonyLawExpress wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Sports Illustrated AAC preview.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... cf-houston

AAC is so wide open. I could see us finishing 2nd or 7th pretty easily. That is true with most of the preseason top 9 teams in the league. I think we have a top 3 roster in the league based on talent, but lots of question marks. Will be an interesting season to see who developed, coaching, and fit.

Sure looks that way. Once again, injuries are going to play a huge role in who ends up strong this season. I think we could see a bunch of teams in that 10-8 to 8-10 range. Going to be really important to defend Moody this year and road wins are going to be rare.
Charleston Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:09 am

As far a shear talent alone goes I think SMU is about 5 or 6. Once the team gets into conference play we will find out for sure.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby JasonB » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:55 pm

Rebel10 wrote:As far a shear talent alone goes I think SMU is about 5 or 6. Once the team gets into conference play we will find out for sure.

IF Whitt has an outside short, Chargios is in great shape, and Foster gets healthy, we can compete with anybody in the league starting 5 talent.

Bench could be a struggle and depends on Dixon, Douglas, Hunt, and Ray.

I have more confidence in the starters improving and being capable of competing for the conference championship than the bench being ready.
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:59 pm

We shall see.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Return to Basketball