PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Basketball Tip Off Dinner

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Basketball Tip Off Dinner

Postby JasonB » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:55 pm

Anyone else going?
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Basketball Tip Off Dinner

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:56 pm

Are they going to rearrange the dinner seating next year?
Last edited by Rebel10 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:13 pm

Around 100 tix sold
RGV Pony

Postby BUS » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:07 pm

I bet it will be a fun time. Hope they get the crowd they are looking for.
Go Mustangs.

I have seats this year!!! Whoop Whoop. SMU Hoop!
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby smupony94 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:20 pm

I saw Jank preparing on an overhead projector
smupony94

Postby JasonB » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:03 pm

smupony94 wrote:I saw Jank preparing on an overhead projector

No, they said film, so I'm hoping for an old film projector kind of like the Tom Landry show used to do.
JasonB

Postby PoconoPony » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:04 pm

JasonB wrote:
smupony94 wrote:I saw Jank preparing on an overhead projector

No, they said film, so I'm hoping for an old film projector kind of like the Tom Landry show used to do.

What ever technology works; use it.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby horsemanx » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:27 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Are they going to rearrange the dinner seating next year?

I think they have it set up where if you like your seat then next year you just have to give them twice as much for it and see if it is enough to get it again.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:51 pm

horsemanx wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Are they going to rearrange the dinner seating next year?

I think they have it set up where if you like your seat then next year you just have to give them twice as much for it and see if it is enough to get it again.

Still stings doesn't it
One Trick Pony

Postby JasonB » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:23 am

I thought the event was quite good actually. I really enjoyed it. I really like Jank and his candor.

- It was great to hear Jank go off on the NCAA, FBI scandal, and repercussions if the NCAA doesn't do anything about the violating programs.
- He recognizes the risk in the non-conference schedule this year. He is hoping we get to play Penn State in the Cancun tourney. They are having a really difficult time getting colleges to schedule us, especially difficult because nobody wants to play against our crowd in Moody. It sounds like they are working on some things that will improve the schedule in future seasons. But he really tried hard to get some tougher opponents.
- Explained the offensive philosophy of spreading the floor and crashing the boards.
- He explained a lot of his recruiting strategy and identifying the right kids to develop. He targets players who fit the offensive philosophy to spread the floor by being able to shoot well and handle, who can play D, have strong character, and have the work ethic and desire to go pro. He also explained how the strategy changes as your roster size is able to grow when you get scholarships back. He really likes White's shooting ability, and the athleticism of Hunt and Young. Both Hunt and Young are way too skinny, but are progressing nicely.
- Dixon can shoot, Whitt is our most improved player by far - shooting, ball handling, and the brain of a point guard, he expects steady yearly improvement from Douglas, Chargois has lost 20 lbs and is going to be really good, and Mike has grown a lot on the court since his arrival and is going to be a force.
- He thinks that if Foster stays on track and we stay healthy, this team is going to get better and better as the season goes along, and be a great team by the end of the season. He was genuinely excited about the season. I didn't think he laid out any excuses or anything like that. Other than being pissed about what the NCAA did to us :).
JasonB

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:25 am

Saw Larry in a picture at practice the other day with a clipboard...does he really have "health problems"?
Pony ^

Postby smupony94 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:36 am

JasonB wrote:I thought the event was quite good actually. I really enjoyed it. I really like Jank and his candor.

- It was great to hear Jank go off on the NCAA, FBI scandal, and repercussions if the NCAA doesn't do anything about the violating programs.
- He recognizes the risk in the non-conference schedule this year. He is hoping we get to play Penn State in the Cancun tourney. They are having a really difficult time getting colleges to schedule us, especially difficult because nobody wants to play against our crowd in Moody. It sounds like they are working on some things that will improve the schedule in future seasons. But he really tried hard to get some tougher opponents.
- Explained the offensive philosophy of spreading the floor and crashing the boards.
- He explained a lot of his recruiting strategy and identifying the right kids to develop. He targets players who fit the offensive philosophy to spread the floor by being able to shoot well and handle, who can play D, have strong character, and have the work ethic and desire to go pro. He also explained how the strategy changes as your roster size is able to grow when you get scholarships back. He really likes White's shooting ability, and the athleticism of Hunt and Young. Both Hunt and Young are way too skinny, but are progressing nicely.
- Dixon can shoot, Whitt is our most improved player by far - shooting, ball handling, and the brain of a point guard, he expects steady yearly improvement from Douglas, Chargois has lost 20 lbs and is going to be really good, and Mike has grown a lot on the court since his arrival and is going to be a force.
- He thinks that if Foster stays on track and we stay healthy, this team is going to get better and better as the season goes along, and be a great team by the end of the season. He was genuinely excited about the season. I didn't think he laid out any excuses or anything like that. Other than being pissed about what the NCAA did to us :).

You are in the minority on how people viewed Jank's talk
smupony94

Postby PonyKai » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:55 am

JasonB wrote:I thought the event was quite good actually. I really enjoyed it. I really like Jank and his candor.

I hope you Ubered home after all that kool aid. Numerous statements made by Jank make it clear that he has neither the philosophical outlook nor drive to make SMU basketball successful at the level necessary.
PonyKai

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:29 am

JasonB wrote:But he really tried hard to get some tougher opponents.

This is simply not the case.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:39 am

Perhaps tried to get a brand name P5 team or two to come to Moody...but not TOO hard?
Charleston Pony

Next

Return to Basketball