PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Basketball Tip Off Dinner

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Basketball Tip Off Dinner

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:20 pm

JasonB wrote:That was kind of the point I was making. Jank himself said that Moore and Brown are the types of players he is targeting. Their first year, they weren't stars, but they certainly were capable parts of the rotation and it was clear that they were going to be good players.

Of the FY '17 class, Chargois performed way above those guys, Douglas I would say was a little behind where Brown was, but still has potential. Ray is an incomplete (and I would bet we don't see him this year). Landrum showed quickness and athleticism, but couldn't shoot. So he is out. But we hit on one, probably 2, and "maybe" 3.

Of the FY '18 class, Hunt was pretty well regarded. Everyone saw Young as a project with upside. White not heavily recruited, so the latter two would fall in the DITR category. So, it is certainly reasonable to doubt the impact. But again, we know what Jank's comparison's are with Brown and Moore, and so we can set our own expectations. All three have length for their "positions", can they shoot to spread the floor and do they have enough handles and athleticism to take advantage of spacing. They are going to have to be able to do that and contribute in a similar manner to Ben and Sterling their freshman year, or else we won't survive the easy non-conference schedule, much less conference play, and Jank is out of here as it seems like all of you want.

For the FY '19 class, we have a lot of spots available with the end of restrictions plus three graduations. We will have 5 size guys coming back, so you have to think it is going to be pretty guard heavy. I would expect anywhere up to three transfers, with 1 or two being GTs eligible immediately. We haven't hit that market yet. If you have 2 GTs, Whitt, Douglas, and White in the backcourt rotation next year then your other two scholarships are both going to be driven towards redshirt candidates. Which probably explains why you are taking players early that don't have a ton of offers. We will take a top recruit over a GT if we can get it (or if Douglas shows enough improvement that he can start next season), otherwise it will be 2 GTs and a regular transfer.

Personally, I don't think that is bad strategy. Even 4 stars don't usually come in and start as a true frosh. At Guard you have Whitt coming back and Douglas, who we aren't sure is a starter yet. So, do you want him to go out and grab 4 star players and hope they can start, or is he going to get GTs to add to the mix? Probably the latter, right? And if recruits know he is bringing in transfers, are 4 stars going to come in and sit at the back of the rotation? Probably not. So, you have to go grab players who are willing to redshirt a season.

But go ahead, complain that we aren't serious about basketball because our coach doesn't hire prostitutes or pay players.

Whoa whoa whoa there Jason. Did you really just say Ethan performed way above Sterling in his freshman year? I really like Ethan and I think he is going to be a very good player, all-conference before he’s done but no way he had a better rookie season. Sterling was on a top 25, NCAA caliber team and started most of the games. Sterling didn’t score as much as Ethan but he was about as solid of a contributor (defense, rebounding and clutch 3s) as you’ll see for a freshman on a really good team.

Ethan had a couple of monster games in OOC but basically disappeared in AAC play. It is a crime to say he was as good as Sterling in their freshman years.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:50 pm

I think Chargois showed a higher ceiling than Sterling too as a freshman until he got sick. What did Brown average 4 ppg and 1 basket a game as a freshman. Chargois is a 6-9 kid knocking down 3s at over .40% before he got sick. He was averaging about 14-15 ppg. Hadn't seen a freshman start so fast since Ira Terrell
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:28 pm

Sterling also was tasked with guarding the opposing team’s best player. Certain things Ben and Sterling did durging their careers that you can’t put on a stat sheet imo. They were two of the most mentally tough players this school has ever seen.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:47 pm

PhantomPhi wrote:underrated players that may be able to make it to the NBA.

That does seem like a pretty good strategy. There are tons and tons of players with NBA potential and no P5 offers.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby kc711 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:18 pm

JasonB wrote:T...

Of the FY '18 class, Hunt was pretty well regarded. Everyone saw Young as a project with upside. White not heavily recruited, so the latter two would fall in the DITR category. So, it is certainly reasonable to doubt the impact. But again, we know what Jank's comparison's are with Brown and Moore, and so we can set our own expectations. All three have length for their "positions", can they shoot to spread the floor ...

I am not down on Young, but I have not heard anyone say he "... can shoot to spread the floor...."
Last edited by kc711 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kc711
Scout Team

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:31 pm

Thing about it is that the non conference schedule is so weak that SMU could have a less than decent team and still do well in non conference play. Conference play is the key.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Stallion » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:37 pm

If Jarrey Foster is healthy this is going to be a strong team-need some better recruits in future years but we have a nice roster this year-better than I think most realize
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:45 pm

Stallion wrote:If Jarrey Foster is healthy this is going to be a strong team-need some better recruits in future years but we have a nice roster this year-better than I think most realize

I tend to agree if Foster is healthy. Next year will be more of a sign of where the team is headed.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:03 pm

Goodness gracious just a couple of years ago we were looked at as a feared team where nobody wanted to play us in Moody and a lot of experts had us as a sweet sixteen team and some had us as a dark horse final four team - and now we are happy with a decent team with the potential if everything goes right to maybe finish in the top half of the conference? I mean come on.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:53 am

Let’s just play some basketball.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby JasonB » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:16 am

kc711 wrote:
JasonB wrote:T...

Of the FY '18 class, Hunt was pretty well regarded. Everyone saw Young as a project with upside. White not heavily recruited, so the latter two would fall in the DITR category. So, it is certainly reasonable to doubt the impact. But again, we know what Jank's comparison's are with Brown and Moore, and so we can set our own expectations. All three have length for their "positions", can they shoot to spread the floor ...

I am not down on Young, but I have not heard anyone say he "... can shoot to spread the floor...."

Jank did mention that we will go from 5 spread to more of a 4 spread look at time, but their expectation is that every player needs to be able to shoot the ball so that they can continue to spread the floor and take advantage of athleticism. At minimum, they need their bigs to be able to show at the free throw line against a zone and both pass the ball and hit that turnaround shot. This is not going to be a keep the big within 5 feet of the basket type of offense. So if you can't shoot a little, you won't be effective.
JasonB

Postby JasonB » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:38 am

Rebel10 wrote:Thing about it is that the non conference schedule is so weak that SMU could have a less than decent team and still do well in non conference play. Conference play is the key.

With Jarrey out, if White/Hunt/Young/Douglas aren't ready to play, we will lose to Liscomb and either lose to Bradley or get blown out by Penn State. That is your early barometer for the 2018 recruiting class.

All I'm saying is this: 1) where there is smoke, there is fire. When people are this up in arms about how well a coach at SMU is doing, it means that there are inside discussions as well. Decision makers at SMU have access to the same pay boards and on-line community. They know what is going on. So don't kid yourself that there isn't a lot of pressure on Jank and the staff this season.

2) We know from Jank what his recruiting philosophy is, how good he thinks the team will be this season, and the types of recruits he expects to pull in. Everyone knows that the '18 kids don't have the offer list of Moore and Brown. Yes, when comparing offers and stars, the odds would seem low. But that is the comparison for us to expect when they get on the court. If those players can't play at this level, then yes Jank missed and the team is going to summer THIS season for it. Either losing games in non-conference that we shouldn't lose, or they are going to shrink to a 7 player rotation in conference and get worn out and lose games they shouldn't at the end. When Jarrey is healthy, with our starting 5 and a bench, we should be expecting to compete for the conference championship. If we aren't, it is because the new players aren't of high enough quality. And all of us should be concerned about that, and know that the concern is shared by decision makers.

3) For next year's class, there WILL be red-shirted players. So keep that in mind, and I would hold off judging until the transfers have signed up...

Just because I allow things to play out before I bag our coaches doesn't mean I have my head in the sand..
JasonB

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:50 am

Naaah. This season isn’t the hot seat season. We should win those non conference non P5 games even if everyone isn’t playing perfect games. Next season would be the hot seat season. Jank has too many excuses to fall back on this season.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:49 pm

Stallion wrote:If Jarrey Foster is healthy this is going to be a strong team-need some better recruits in future years but we have a nice roster this year-better than I think most realize

This and what Rebel just said.

We have the most talented 3-5 group in the conference with Foster, Mike, and Chaggy (before mentioning Hunt who everyone raves about). At Guard we are experienced. We know what McMurray is, Whitt is supposed to be most improved on the team, and Dixon will be a solid contributor. Everything has to mesh and there are questions but we have a stronger team than most give us credit for in a down AAC and have a hard time seeing us at least not on the bubble.

The 2019-2020 season is more of the worry with Jank for me. If he screws up this whole 2019 class and White and Douglas are bust/journeymen players I think it will show up in that team at the guard position. I am concerned but going to wait to cast judgment until after this season. If we have a good year and Jank ends up with 2 quality transfers and a Hunt level frosh or JuCo recruit at Guard then I will feel better. If not, then we should start looking around.

I have a hard time seeing Jank gone after this year, even if he should be. Roster is too good to go 17-14 if healthy. If we get badly hurt again he will have an excuse to buy another year to go with sanctions excuse. I can’t see him getting fired for 22-9 and high NIT seed in year 3 while on restrictions.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:54 pm

JasonB wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Thing about it is that the non conference schedule is so weak that SMU could have a less than decent team and still do well in non conference play. Conference play is the key.

With Jarrey out, if White/Hunt/Young/Douglas aren't ready to play, we will lose to Liscomb and either lose to Bradley or get blown out by Penn State. That is your early barometer for the 2018 recruiting class.

Don't forget Dixon in your equation. If Jank is going to count on transfers and grad transfers every year, a GT needs to come in and contribute right away...otherwise, that's another miss.
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball