PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Seniors Bring Unique Brand Of Leadership To SMU

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby PonyPride » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:49 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

By Andy Lohman

On paper, it wouldn't appear that SMU men's basketball has a lot of experienced players; senior guard Jarrey Foster is the only scholarship player that has spent more than one year in the program. The Mustangs are one of just 10 programs in Division I with one or fewer players with that level of experience.

But Foster and fellow seniors Jahmal McMurray and Nat Dixon, while each following their own unique path to the 2018-19 season, are forming a strong leadership group for the Mustangs.

Entering his fourth season on the Hilltop, Foster is the face of the program and the natural, built-in leader. Last year, he averaged 13.2 points and a team-high 5.9 rebounds before tearing his ACL in a win at No. 7/4 Wichita State. ACL injuries require an extensive rehabilitation process, and being sidelined for so long has been a challenge for Foster.

"Every day is a challenge going through an injury. I haven't played a basketball game in 260 days," Foster said in early October. "And I'm counting. I take it personal every day I come into the gym. I just try to get better every day."

Despite not being fully healthy, Foster has taken it upon himself to continue to lead his team in whatever way he can.

"Every day you come into the gym you have to be mentally prepared for what's ahead, not only just rehab but also still being that leader and helping the younger guys on the floor," Foster said. "While I'm still doing my rehab on the side, I'm still paying attention and keying in on what are some of the things we need to focus on to get back to a 30-win team and being a team I know we can be. My focus had to shift a little bit."

Even with Foster sidelined, the Mustangs still have veteran leadership on the floor. McMurray is SMU's top returning scorer, averaging 14.7 points in 22 games last season. The guard is already providing an example on the floor.

"I feel like I'm a better leader at leading by example," McMurray said. "I've been trying to do that a lot better by moving the ball and getting my teammates involved, trying to lead in that way. Just trying to set us up in the right position to be successful."

In addition to leading by example, McMurray is stepping out of his comfort zone and becoming a more vocal leader as well.

"I'm still getting better at trying to lead vocally and continue to see things and put my guys in the right direction," McMurray said. "I can notice it myself that I'm actually willing and wanting to talk more…You're the extension of the coach on the floor. I'm just trying to be that extension in the best way I can be for our team."

Dixon, a graduate transfer guard from Chattanooga, feels a responsibility to share his experiences and foster a learning environment.

"I think I really owe it to the guys because they know that I played a lot of college minutes in basketball so they know that I know what I'm talking about," Dixon said. "But also, there's plenty of stuff I can learn even from the young guys too. We're all just learning together and trying to help each other get better."

As each senior steps into their leadership roles, they've grown as people too. While McMurray becomes a more vocal leader, Dixon cites more maturity and better decision-making. For Foster, the
process of rehabbing his injury has spurred tremendous personal growth.

"I feel like I've found myself through this process," Foster said. "Coming back to school was probably one of the best decisions I could have ever made. Just off the fact that I've grown as a man. And I'm able to change a lot more lives than I would have been able to. So I'm happy where I am."
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball