PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How fast to burn it down?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Did you think Janks would burn the program down this fast?

Yes
38%
No
62%

Total votes : 45

Re: How fast to burn it down?

Postby originaloverthehilltop1 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:53 pm

if jank said "we're going to shoot more threes", he better get some different guards. cause none of the ones he has out there now seem able to do that.
originaloverthehilltop1
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:54 pm

All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:55 pm

mrydel

Postby mrydel » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:57 pm

originaloverthehilltop1 wrote:has everyone forgotten that it was lb who got us the hammer for fast and furious recruiting practices, then lied under questioning, reversing the lie within 24hrs in front of the ncaa, thus guaranteeing nuclear enforcement? yeah we had a couple years of fun followed by atomic destruction and the current state is not janks fault. if he doesn't get it turned around soon, fine, fire him. but bringing back the force of nature idiot as a "consultant" would be stupid. too much baggage.

You’re right. It is much better now. Just like the bad old days.
mrydel

Postby mustangxc » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:10 pm

Scholarship restriction is not an excuse. We singed CJ White late after missing on all of our targets. We were then unable to land a good recruit using our last available scholarship so Jahmar young ended up getting a scholarship. Without the restrictions we would have had 2 additional scholarships to use but what good would that do if we are not signing good players? I suppose we could have used one or two extra scholarships on transfers, but our latest transfer has not exactly worked out so far. Let's hope he has an epiphany and turns into a stud similar to the way Semi did for us.
mustangxc

Postby Pony81 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:39 pm

Don’t hold your breath....A transfer from Duquesne (Mike) is a world apart from a former Gatorade Player of the Year transfer from Duke.

I went to the USM game and was very disappointed in Mike’s motor.... he wasn’t terribly active nor did he show “ incredible “ athleticism that I’d read about. Looked like another guy out there trying to figure it out.

Actually C J White looked pretty good. Active, good passer and seemed very confident. Of all the guys Jank brought in he played the best.

BTW: Douglas is entering bust category..... still playing like a guy just trying to fit in.... not at all trying to make a statement
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby Pony81 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:42 pm

If Douglas had signed with Notre Dame where he had an offer , he’d be transferring after this season. They’d already have recruited over him and would be asking for their scholarship back...
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:02 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:This program was NEVER going to sustain the heights that LB obtained. He alone brought national prominence to our program. And that's ok. It was fun. But real leadership would have set us up for the long haul when it finally settles at its appropriate level (periodic if infrequent NCAA tourneys and occasional conference success).

We would have loved to make the second round of the NIT under Doh. I think there is a good chance that's the kind of level SMU should be at.

Wow, abu, we have much different levels of expectations.

This state is loaded with HS talent yet so far no school has parlayed that into consistent success. I suspect it’s due in part to Texas being a FB state, but regardless, being the prominent BB school in the region is there for the taking and there’s absolutely no reason SMU can’t be that school.

That’s why I’m not as willing to wait around for the inevitable. All one has to do is look west to TCU. They are making their move.

And for the record, LB led us to only one NCAA tournament, where we promptly loss in the 1st round, hardly monumental stuff.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Pony81 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:37 pm

LB led us to two NCAA’s.... the loss to UCLA and the loss to USC...
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:08 pm

Tim Jankovich led us to the NCAA tournament bid and subsequent loss to USC.
mustangxc

Postby Whitwiki Pony » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:18 pm

mustangxc wrote:Tim Jankovich led us to the NCAA tournament bid and subsequent loss to USC.

With Brown’s players, culture, and momentum.
Whitwiki Pony
Scout Team

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:37 pm

Maybe we can get this guy back to help out

HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:54 pm

It's already burned down, not even smoldering .
One Trick Pony

Postby geezerdonk » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:15 pm

Mike complete dud. Douglas a dud, past, present and future. A 12 win team and no help coming.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby Rebel10 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:43 am

ponyboy wrote:The reseat was a mistake. Jank has had a very short bench. Jank hasn’t been able to close on some high profile recruits.

Only the latter is even partially his fault.

I still say let the season play out and have a strong plan if Jank doesn’t exceed expectations.

Southern Miss was on sanctions and had a short bench too. Just wanted to inform you in case you did not know.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball