PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How fast to burn it down?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Did you think Janks would burn the program down this fast?

Yes
38%
No
62%

Total votes : 45

How fast to burn it down?

Postby PonySnob » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:52 pm

Given the apparent demise of the basketball team.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: How fast to burn it down?

Postby JasonB » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:58 pm

The most important thing that can't be burned down are the prominent donors to the basketball program who demand the success that Larry brought to the table.

Whitt, Chargois, Hunt, Mike, Douglass, Ray, White isn't a complete rebuild next year if you can add a quality GT and two good recruits to the mix. I am very confident that we will attract a quality coach who will be able to make that happen.

It won't be Pitino. But we don't need that to be successful.

Dan Majarle? Danny Manning? Van Gundy?
JasonB

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:27 am

Jank has obviously failed “LB 101:”

This team looks like the polar opposite of an LB team and the cracks in the system LB attempted to build are showing everywhere. Jank cant (or wont) recruit And can’t coach. Frankly... he has no balls.

There is talent on the team but it looks like its directionless talent. Let’s hope this is our last year with Jank here.

The current excitement at UCONN and at Memphis rivals our new Moody year. Houston, WSU, Cincy and Tulane have very good coaches who can recruit. Unless a big move is made we are doomed to the bottom quarter of what should be a damn good conference.

We need a proven big name guy here.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby mrydel » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:47 am

Does BB allow “consultants” like FB does? We could bring Brown back ( I bet he would come) as a consultant and let Jank know that Brown would be in charge of practice and that he (Jank) had one more chance to learn how it is done. No game coaching or recruiting for Brown to keep us safe, but recruits would still know he was there and maybe something could be salvaged. I truly miss seeing the way the Brown coached teams played.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Arkpony » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:30 am

mrydel wrote:Does BB allow “consultants” like FB does? We could bring Brown back ( I bet he would come) as a consultant and let Jank know that Brown would be in charge of practice and that he (Jank) had one more chance to learn how it is done. No game coaching or recruiting for Brown to keep us safe, but recruits would still know he was there and maybe something could be salvaged. I truly miss seeing the way the Brown coached teams played.

AMEN!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Pony ^ » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:48 am

The administration burned it down faster than Jank could. Really is amazing.
Pony ^

Postby JasonB » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:01 am

Pony ^ wrote:The administration burned it down faster than Jank could. Really is amazing.

I guess the only positive about it is that basketball at SMU is now viewed as a revenue sport, which amps up the pressure to change when things aren't going well.
JasonB

Postby smupony94 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:16 am

Pony ^ wrote:The administration burned it down faster than Jank could. Really is amazing.

Yes, David Miller, RGT and Rick hate basketball
smupony94

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:27 am

Completely false. Jank is the main culprit right now for his complete lack of recruiting, effort, and coaching ability.

Now if the administration does nothing about it and let's Jank continue on in this pattern, then it is on them.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony ^ » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:18 am

PonyPlayer4 wrote:

Completely false. Jank is the main culprit right now for his complete lack of recruiting, effort, and coaching ability.

Now if the administration does nothing about it and let's Jank continue on in this pattern, then it is on them.

I was talking about environment, not the product on the floor which Jank has definitely burned down. Why are we taking 1000 3's a game?

But, you could argue the administration didn't pay Larry
Pony ^

Postby smupony94 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:32 am

Pony ^ wrote:
PonyPlayer4 wrote:

I was talking about environment, not the product on the floor which Jank has definitely burned down. Why are we taking 1000 3's a game?

But, you could argue the administration didn't pay Larry

What do you mean they didn't pay Larry? They gave him what he asked for but he balked at the clawback provisions if the NCAA came at us.
smupony94

Postby PonyTime » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:35 am

JasonB wrote:It won't be Pitino.

Just hire the OTHER Pitino...Then we can hire dad as a consultant to help us recruit. MN about to pull in a lot of talent - just enrolled a nat top 50 to go with the nat top 50 from last year (and a top 65 the year prior).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Pitino
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:41 am

mrydel wrote:Does BB allow “consultants” like FB does? We could bring Brown back ( I bet he would come) as a consultant and let Jank know that Brown would be in charge of practice and that he (Jank) had one more chance to learn how it is done. No game coaching or recruiting for Brown to keep us safe, but recruits would still know he was there and maybe something could be salvaged. I truly miss seeing the way the Brown coached teams played.

Bring back LB would make no difference. Problem is that LB is all about spacing, passing, back door passes, good mid range shots, attacking the rim and discipline in shot selection. Jank's team is all about launching 3s, minimal passing, little concentration on spacing and minimal discipline. Total conflict in philosophies.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:56 am

You and I have a much different approach on how to deal with employees.

He was given a once-in-a-lifetime 3 year apprentice. He failed.

It’s like Sal, asking for a 2nd chance.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RIJIXMX2zw8
SoCal_Pony

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:29 pm

I voted no because I don't think Jank burned anything down (and it is too early to tell - the end of the season will tell the tale). The administration is the culprit in any case. From failure to manage the LB tenure to utter disregard for the supporters the situation in which we find ourselves is entirely down to administrative shortcomings. This program was NEVER going to sustain the heights that LB obtained. He alone brought national prominence to our program. And that's ok. It was fun. But real leadership would have set us up for the long haul. In this they have failed miserably. They have alienated many of their most loyal supporters and ensured that the program will be in a worse position when it finally settles at its appropriate level (periodic if infrequent NCAA tourneys and occasional conference success). I am not sure that this season won't be successful by the end of it, but if it isn't it is going to be fascinating when they go to renew STHs for next year.

Look at Jank's Illinois State record in the MVC, assume he learned at least something from Larry and I think you probably have a pretty good fit for SMU. We play in a much tougher conference and there will be up years and down years. Frustration is all premised on where we were for a few years there with LB and immediately after. That's not where SMU is going to end up. Expectations need to be adjusted.

2007–08 Illinois State 25–10 13–5 2nd NIT Second Round
2008–09 Illinois State 24–10 11–7 3rd NIT First Round
2009–10 Illinois State 22–11 11–7 3rd NIT First Round
2010–11 Illinois State 12–19 4–14 T–9th
2011–12 Illinois State 21–14 9–9 T–3rd NIT Second Round
Illinois State: 104–64 (.619) 48–42 (.533)
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Basketball