PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

How fast to burn it down?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Did you think Janks would burn the program down this fast?

Yes
38%
No
62%

Total votes : 45

Re: How fast to burn it down?

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:09 am

Rebel10 wrote:
ponyboy wrote:The reseat was a mistake. Jank has had a very short bench. Jank hasn’t been able to close on some high profile recruits.

Only the latter is even partially his fault.

I still say let the season play out and have a strong plan if Jank doesn’t exceed expectations.

Southern Miss was on sanctions and had a short bench too. Just wanted to inform you in case you did not know.

They also were about 6 inches shorter to the man. There is no way an LB coached team wins by less than 15-20 against them.
This loss is squarely on Jank for basically playing the entire game outside the three point line. No real halftime adjustment and no real effort to post anyone up. We could have slowed it down and been shooting free throws all afternoon.
This game would have been red meat for Kennedy, Tolbert, Semi, Ben etc. But I don't put it on our current guys.
Chargois was fantastic. McMurray was ok...he was McMurray. Hunt and Mike were somewhat mis-used in this situation.

I'm not buying the Jank offense.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby max the wonder dog » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:10 am

Rebel10 wrote:
ponyboy wrote:The reseat was a mistake. Jank has had a very short bench. Jank hasn’t been able to close on some high profile recruits.

I still say let the season play out and have a strong plan if Jank doesn’t exceed expectations.

Southern Miss was on sanctions and had a short bench too. Just wanted to inform you in case you did not know.

Southern Miss also had a short five on the court for much of the game and out-rebounded us 38-31. It's time for Jank to have a short tenure.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:17 am

HarvCrimYaleBlue wrote:Maybe we can get this guy back to help out

Sorry no. But we DID and DO need a real penetrating point guard. Maybe Bryce Cook is that guy? Whitt does take care of the ball but he'll never be the guy who can blow by you or scorch you with threes and those would be two things you'd want on your point guard's resume.

Losing Agau and Landrum was a correct move. What hasn't happened yet is the upgrades.

Is I Mike William Douglas 2.0? I sure hope not but I see the same tentativeness and timidity. I'm willing to give both the rest of the OOC schedule to show more but not much more time than that and significant improvement.

Hunt will be fine and Young needs minutes too....White looks exactly like the project Jank described. He might work out.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby ObeyMyDog » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:28 am

mustangxc wrote:Tim Jankovich led us to the NCAA tournament bid and subsequent loss to USC.

He inherited that team and his recruiting is going to guarantee he never gets to that level again, at least while he is here at SMU.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby Ponyneighbor » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:53 pm

As I said at the time, I don’t think the re-seat was a mistake from the athletic department’s perspective, because they succeeded in milking every last ounce of profit that was left from the goodwill generated Larry’s last 4 (amazing) years. It was actually one of the more impressive money-grabs I’ve ever seen. I don’t think anyone (the athletic department included) knew how far and how fast this thing would fall off a cliff, but they sure as heck knew they weren’t going to be able to get $50 per seat per game for long, so they took it while they could. If SMU is ever good again, we will all forget the whole episode and get in line to buy.

Not goodwill building, but shrewd
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:36 pm

Ponyneighbor wrote: As I said at the time, I don’t think the re-seat was a mistake from the athletic department’s perspective, because they succeeded in milking every last ounce of profit that was left from the goodwill generated Larry’s last 4 (amazing) years. It was actually one of the more impressive money-grabs I’ve ever seen. I don’t think anyone (the athletic department included) knew how far and how fast this thing would fall off a cliff, but they sure as heck knew they weren’t going to be able to get $50 per seat per game for long, so they took it while they could. If SMU is ever good again, we will all forget the whole episode and get in line to buy.

It's one thing to be shrewd in the business world, it's quite another to be take advantage of alumni who have such an emotional investment and who you will rely on for lifetime donations.

To me that is not shrewd, its called short-sighted.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Arkpony » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:51 pm

It is a sad fact of life, SMU cares about you in proportion to the amount of money you give.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:56 am

Arkpony wrote:It is a sad fact of life, SMU cares about you in proportion to the amount of money you give.

One of the truest statements possible.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Arkpony » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:07 am

I've given to SMU a sum well into the 6 figures since I graduated in 1960, and yet when I was screwed over by SMU on a donation issue and wrote the prez, I didn't even get the courtesy of a secretaries note. I am no longer enthusiastic when I get requests from the administration for money.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Blunt Pony » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:05 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
Ponyneighbor wrote: As I said at the time, I don’t think the re-seat was a mistake from the athletic department’s perspective, because they succeeded in milking every last ounce of profit that was left from the goodwill generated Larry’s last 4 (amazing) years. It was actually one of the more impressive money-grabs I’ve ever seen. I don’t think anyone (the athletic department included) knew how far and how fast this thing would fall off a cliff, but they sure as heck knew they weren’t going to be able to get $50 per seat per game for long, so they took it while they could. If SMU is ever good again, we will all forget the whole episode and get in line to buy.

It's one thing to be shrewd in the business world, it's quite another to be take advantage of alumni who have such an emotional investment and who you will rely on for lifetime donations.

To me that is not shrewd, its called short-sighted.

So Cal, you have hit it on the head. The long term effects of the re-seat will far outweigh the one year boost. And to think, all they had to do was throw their small base of long time season ticket holders a bone and let them re-up at today's prices and all of this could have worked out different.
Blunt Pony
Varsity

Postby Mustangsabu » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:17 pm

Arkpony wrote:It is a sad fact of life, SMU cares about you in proportion to the amount of money you give.

It is the sole criteria. Do they care if you went to SMU? No. do they care if you go to every game? No. How much did you give them is this only stat that matters.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:20 pm

Agreed with the majority sentiment here. The whole thing was foolish and short sighted and Hart (with Turner’s full and public support) needs to grow a pair and communicate it as such, along with an apology and a plan to make it right. You flat out do not treat people that way. SMU is our school, not the property of whomever happens to be in charge at the moment. We are human beings, not sheep to be fleeced. Shame.
ponyboy

Postby ponydawg » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:32 pm

In Hart's defense, this will look fantastic on his resume.
- Increased Basketball Donations in 2018 by 1.5 million Dollars.

I hate being bitter, but they really F'd up something great.
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:35 pm

Arkpony wrote: I am no longer enthusiastic when I get requests from the administration for money.

^^^
Do they care if you went to SMU? No. do they care if you go to every game? No. How much did you give them is this only stat that matters.
^^^
Bergermeister

Postby Nacho » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:39 pm

this has to be one of the saddest threads I've ever read. i'm sure every word of it is true which makes it even more disheartening.
I gave up my three seats after going to games in garland and then for a couple of years in new moody. it was hard to give it up but the 2 with me could no longer attend.
I read your notes and I feel fortunate that I didn't have to go through the misery inflicted up all of you.
I know smu all too well. when they get the chance they will do it to football too. a
Nacho

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball