PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rick Pitino

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Will you accept Rick Pitino as the next coach of SMU?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:25 pm

1. Yes
59%
2. No
41%

Total votes : 32

Re: Rick Pitino

Postby orwell » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:50 pm

Waiting for Nic Moore.
orwell

Postby SMU Section F » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:01 pm

That this is even a discussion makes me very sad... how the mediocre have fallen.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby redpony » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:35 pm

we need to bring in a big name coach who will recruit and WIN. I would love to have LB back but we all know that won't happen. Need a coach who will bring back Moody Madness as well. Long live the MOB- sad that our AD destroyed it.
Time to make this decision now. Jank will continue to destroy all that has been built if he hasn't already.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonySnob » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:40 pm

Which Iba brothers are alive?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:59 pm

PonySnob wrote:Which Iba brothers are alive?

Ringley Brothers and Barnum and Bailey?
One Trick Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:25 pm

orwell wrote:Waiting for Nic Moore.

I've wondered whether Nic might be interested in getting into coaching after his playing days are done. I've always liked PG Head Coaches
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:24 pm

Would Avery Johnson leave Alabama for the opportunity to come back to Dallas?
mustangxc

Postby ponyboy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:54 pm

Why not Larry? Just give him the clawback and bring him back.
ponyboy

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:43 pm

mustangxc wrote:Scott Cross would probably be the best value hire we could get. I would definitely put him in my top 3.

xc, to me that speaks volumes about you and your opinion of our BB program.

Simple question - if Shaka Smart were to leave UT tomorrow, you really think Scott Cross be on the Top 3 list? He wouldn't and he shouldn't on ours as well.

That is who we are competing against. UT. Stakes are high, State of Texas BB supremacy.
SoCal_Pony

Postby mustangxc » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:52 pm

I said he would be in my top 3 due to value, not my favorite. He proved to be very successful at UTA and was in line for some Power conference positions but ironically was fired despite his loyalty. Imagine what he could do with our resources in our conference. Are we in line to poach someone like Dan Hurley or Archie Miller? Scott Frost could be the equivalent to Sonny Dykes, another coach who was in my top 3 but not my favorite when we hired him. You simply like spending other people’s money.
mustangxc

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:17 pm

mustangxc wrote:I said he would be in my top 3 due to value, not my favorite. He proved to be very successful at UTA and was in line for some Power conference positions but ironically was fired despite his loyalty. Imagine what he could do with our resources in our conference. Are we in line to poach someone like Dan Hurley or Archie Miller? Scott Frost could be the equivalent to Sonny Dykes, another coach who was in my top 3 but not my favorite when we hired him. You simply like spending other people’s money.

I gottcha. I happen to agree with your line of thinking in terms of FB, but I think BB is a different animal.

We can play elite schools on ESPN prime time in sold out Moody. Regardless of our FB coach, we mostly play crummy opponents on ESPN online application in an empty Ford.

No comparison.
SoCal_Pony

Postby mustangxc » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:33 pm

I am completely on board with that but I don’t think there are any established coaches that we can poach at this time. We’re not stealing a coach from Indiana, Michigan, Duke, etc. and others such as Mark Few have demonstrated extreme loyalty. Maybe I am not remembering someone viable. I think if OKC has a bad season we might be able to throw huge money at Billy Donovan, or as I said earlier maybe George Karl would be interested. I simply can’t think of a top college coach that makes sense other than coaches such as Tom Izzo who would never leave Michigan State for SMU.

I do think Avery Johnson would consider coming over from Alabama and that is why I mentioned him earlier.
mustangxc

Postby Shetland » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:03 am

Jason Kidd.
Shetland
Scout Team

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:27 am

mustangxc wrote:I am completely on board with that but I don’t think there are any established coaches that we can poach at this time. We’re not stealing a coach from Indiana, Michigan, Duke, etc. and others such as Mark Few have demonstrated extreme loyalty. Maybe I am not remembering someone viable. I think if OKC has a bad season we might be able to throw huge money at Billy Donovan, or as I said earlier maybe George Karl would be interested. I simply can’t think of a top college coach that makes sense other than coaches such as Tom Izzo who would never leave Michigan State for SMU.

I do think Avery Johnson would consider coming over from Alabama and that is why I mentioned him earlier.

I think you are both right and this discussion illustrates the two paths our admin (I will refrain from using the word braintrust...LOL) can pursue.

An LB type hire ain't easy and, as shown, comes with some consequences. Guys like Van Gundy and Kidd should get phone calls, feelers if you will. That's the instant spotlight, instant credibility way. It still doesn't guarantee success but it does provide a spotlight and and some excitement. This is a big year for Dunleavy at Tulane....in his third year...and where is the turnaround? Let's watch Penny...he sure as hell can recruit but can he coach? Summary: If you can get a marquee name you go for it.

But....you also work the up and coming ranks. Cross should merit some consideration as he has a proven ability to win AND the Horned Frogs are currently recruiting circles around us. Granted that's not all Cross but he surely knows the ropes and is mixing it up with B12 recruiters on a regular basis.

If you get a guy like Cross you don't get the cannon shot right out of the gate that you'd get with a Kidd or Van Gundy. But you get a guy who can build it organically and coach it. Moody Madness doesn't return overnight but it gets back on track.

This is a good discussion thread....please keep throwing names out there.

But f**K Slick Rick.....he still thinks we might be a religious school. :lol:
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:20 am

BMW 's and a million-dollar signing bonus for every 5 star . You only need five great players, you can get the bench legally .
One Trick Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball