PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU/WCU game thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SMU/WCU game thread

Postby edwa » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:47 pm

nope
edwa
Junior Varsity

Postby JasonB » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:38 am

Stallion wrote:what was the elapsed time on McMurray's 3 treys-seemed like about :20 maybe :30 seconds-got to be a record

also I can see C.J. White contributing 4 years and becoming a pretty good player-like the way the ball moves when he is in-plus he hustles and rebounds-he looks almost 6-6 to me

He seems very in control out there. Not the defender that Brown was from day one, but has that thick build as a guard with size, and a nice shot. Jank should be given credit for landing Hunt and finding a DITR with Brown. The bigger challenge is with the disaster of the previous class of players outside of Ethan.

We need to step it up defensively in the half court. Our guards did a nice job of forcing turnovers, but you can't allow a guy to shoot like that and continue to get open looks in half court sets.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:55 am

C.J. was not really a DITR. Hie was a late qualifier so grades keep a lot a major programs away. Once he qualified and we had an extra ship to give we did. Hunt decommitted TCU because another player committed there that he did not get along with so he came to SMU. Both situations were mostly being at the right place at the right time.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:53 am

I see a healthy Jarrey and an improving CJ moving Douglass to the end of the bench. That first three by Doogie was sweet but he stil seems a bit lost.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby mustangxc » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:52 am

Rebel10 wrote:C.J. was not really a DITR. Hie was a late qualifier so grades keep a lot a major programs away. Once he qualified and we had an extra ship to give we did. Hunt decommitted TCU because another player committed there that he did not get along with so he came to SMU. Both situations were mostly being at the right place at the right time.

Just like you have to blame Jankovich for the recruiting misses you also have to give him his due with the guys he signs that work out well regardless of the circumstance. Credit him for his successes, if he manages to succeed more on the trail no one would question his job status.
mustangxc

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:21 pm

mustangxc wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:C.J. was not really a DITR. Hie was a late qualifier so grades keep a lot a major programs away. Once he qualified and we had an extra ship to give we did. Hunt decommitted TCU because another player committed there that he did not get along with so he came to SMU. Both situations were mostly being at the right place at the right time.

Just like you have to blame Jankovich for the recruiting misses you also have to give him his due with the guys he signs that work out well regardless of the circumstance. Credit him for his successes, if he manages to succeed more on the trail no one would question his job status.

TRUE. Other than Chaggy whatcha got?
I’ll give a tiny bit of credit on Hunt because he’s here but only because we botched Archie.
Jury still out on most of the rest.

But what is the quote about the guys you DIDNT GET?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby mustangxc » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:42 pm

The fact is almost all coaches miss more than they succeed in recruiting, but have to get their fair share in order to be successful. So far we have not managed to get our fair share under Jankovich. We have had some successes, but we do need more successes.
mustangxc

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:31 pm

Until the team plays good quality teams SMU fans really don’t know totally how good the recruits are yet. I would guess Penn State would be first somewhat major team they play.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:27 pm

Hey wait a minute there was a basketball game?
One Trick Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:42 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:Hey wait a minute there was a basketball game?

It has been a while since there had been this little interest in a basketball game.

Reseat + PonyUpTV is a dangerous combination.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:14 pm

Rebel10 wrote:C.J. was not really a DITR. Hie was a late qualifier so grades keep a lot a major programs away.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He was not ranked nationally and had ZERO offers absent SMU.

Hearing Stallion say positive things about him made me LOL. Reminds me of the glowing critiques JasonB hands out each spring practice.

Wish him well, but I will reserve judgment until I see him in something other than a glorified scrimmage.
SoCal_Pony

Postby mrydel » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Not touting CJ but there had to be more to it than just lack of ability. He did play well in high school and yet had no offers. Not any. Not even lower division Arkansas schools from what I could tell. Something was different and I still do not know what. Hope he does show some ability. I was pleased with his play last night for a newbie.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:38 pm

mustangxc wrote:The fact is almost all coaches miss more than they succeed in recruiting, but have to get their fair share in order to be successful.

That’s right xc, it’s an inexact science. That explains why someone such as William Douglas, who was highly scouted and has offers from multiple P5 programs such as Fl State, Alabama, Oregon, TCU and Ole Miss can still not be successful at the next level.

What it doesn’t explain is how some on this board think these highly scouted kids who have no P5 offers and are ranked 300+ nationally can be successful. That now describes a majority of our team in the new-Jank era.
SoCal_Pony

Postby ponyboy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:15 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:C.J. was not really a DITR. Hie was a late qualifier so grades keep a lot a major programs away.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He was not ranked nationally and had ZERO offers absent SMU.

Hearing Stallion say positive things about him made me LOL. Reminds me of the glowing critiques JasonB hands out each spring practice.

Wish him well, but I will reserve judgment until I see him in something other than a glorified scrimmage.

I'm sure C.J. will be hanging on your personal approval. Fact is he was a late qualifier which did keep a lot of major programs away. This guy was a state champion, state tournament MVP, and First Team All-State. He is smart and has great size for the position. His doing well is not a surprise to anyone who closely follows such things.
ponyboy

Postby ojaipony » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:33 pm

We got beat by Southern Miss and we didn't beat this cupcake by 60. No one is that good (yet). I want to see this team after Jarrey has played a few games. How THAT team plays, will tell me if we should just cancel the season or not. So far, I'm very concerned (not because we don't have some good players, but because of how we play -- there are major red flags ... I would give them the benefit of the doubt with all the new pieces needing to come together and all that takes time, but we should not lose to Southern Miss and last night should have just been a dunk fest with a lot of our scrubs playing in the 2nd half).
ojaipony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball