PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Official Game Thread - Powerful Lipscomb Bisons

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Official Game Thread - Powerful Lipscomb Bisons

Postby fan » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:41 pm

mrydel wrote:I wonder if Foster is going to start hanging out with Ed Oliver?

One is legit hurt, the other is not
fan
Varsity

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:45 pm

fan wrote:

That’s not what he asked. Foster has to be asking himself is it worth it to return and risk possibly getting injured again trying to save the team.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smupony94 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:46 pm

smupony94

Postby horsemanx » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:46 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
fan wrote:

That’s not what he asked. Foster has to be asking himself is it worth it to return and risk possibly getting injured again trying to save the team.

Sure worked out for Shake!
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:50 pm

smupony94 wrote:https://247sports.com/college/smu/Article/Thoughts-on-state-of-SMU-basketball-program-124629449/

Perfect summation of things in this paragraph:

Things are in a bad spot for SMU right now. Moody Coliseum is empty, the nonconference slate that was supposed to buoy the team into AAC play is beating them up early on, fan support isn't there, and overall, the program isn't trending in the right direction.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby lwjr » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:21 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
smupony94 wrote:https://247sports.com/college/smu/Article/Thoughts-on-state-of-SMU-basketball-program-124629449/

Perfect summation of things in this paragraph:

Things are in a bad spot for SMU right now. Moody Coliseum is empty, the nonconference slate that was supposed to buoy the team into AAC play is beating them up early on, fan support isn't there, and overall, the program isn't trending in the right direction.

sounds similar to the former football HC who shall remain nameless
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby JasonB » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:26 pm

This was the first game I had the opportunity to attend in person this season. How depressing.

- the lack of fans and energy is stunning. I almost walked up to Turner before the game started but bit my tongue. They should all be ashamed of what they have done. And they should all own up to it.

- The defensive awareness on the team is awful. They don't switch quickly and constantly lose players off the ball. First time I can recall us being outscored on back door cuts. Sure, some of that is maturity. But it is also coaching.

- The fact that we committed that many fouls against Lipscomb is a real indictment on the decline of athleticism on the team. Landrum was short and couldn't shoot, but at least he had quick hands, could jump, and had energy. Douglas brings nothing to the table. He has quickly gone to the end of the rotation, and is now relegated to being the "eat fouls" guy who subs in at the end of the game. He is slow defensively, has no strength, and is super passive on the offensive end. Watching him chase one of their players around on defense on an inbound play in the first half, where he is desperate to keep up, can't, takes a slight bump and can't push through it without stumbling, and his guy gets an easy layup. I love Ethan on the offensive end, but he struggles athletically on defense. Mike is awful defensively, reacts slow to everything, and gives up a lot of buckets off the ball and commits late fouls. We are a short team with the three guards starting, and Mike and Chargios don't provide enough physicality or athleticism to make up for it. Dixon isn't super athletic but he at least gives good effort on defense and anticipates off the ball. Hunt I absolutely love his effort defensively, despite his slight frame that will get punished in conference (I hope not, but I fear). And Whitt is decent on defense. But outside of that, we have a lot of problems.

- The other indictment is our zone offense. It used to be that teams got destroyed against us by playing zone. The quick ball movement, ability to show at the line and bounce a back door pass, shooting ability, and the athleticism to finish a lob - we absolutely destroyed a zone. We don't have that anymore. Chagois should be able to flash to the line, get a pass, and then bounce to Mike or Hunt to fly in from the wing down the baseline to finish. But we can't do it. Maybe it comes back when Foster plays and you have size at the 3 and can come off either wing with the 3 or 4. But it is disappointing to watch teams be able to zone us out.

- Someone else said it here and I said it at the game. Hunt should start over Mike. Much better player right now. Mike is struggling on both ends of the floor, and it is clear that he hasn't really spent a lot of time down low - he played more as a true wing previously, but with our lack of height we can't afford to let him do that. But Hunt is a much better player on both ends than he is right now.

- IN addition to our defensive issues, we are really struggling on offense. We need three plus players to be a quality team. We have plenty of "decent" players (Whitt, Hunt, White, Dixon). Right now you have 1.5 "plus" players. Chargois is one, and then McMurray is .5 because he is either on and elite or off and horrible. The expectation was that Mike would be an elite option, which gives you 2.5 and then Foster would give you 3.5. And then expectations were set by Jank that Whitt had developed a jumper, which would have made him elite as well. Which makes for a really good team. Right now we have 1.5. Which is enough to be an average mid-major team. For conference play, if McMurray is on his game, that is 2 players, which would make us average in the AAC. But when McMurray doesn't show up and you have just Chargois (like tonight), you are a below average AAC team. So that sucks.

- Jank saying that Whitt had fixed his shot and then seeing the reality that it hasn't changed, and he still clanks at the line, that causes a fan to lose confidence in the coaching staff.

- Jank saying that Mike had matured a lot and was ready to roll, and then seeing this... again causes a fan to lose confidence in the coaching staff.

- Unfortunately, while Hunt is playing much better than Mike right now, the chances of him being that second "plus" player until Foster comes back are small with him being a freshman and so thin. You almost have to keep starting and playing Mike a lot until he snaps into it. Because for this team to win, he really HAS to play at a plus level. Chargois is playing well, but we still don't have anyone who forces a double team. Even with McMurray, teams take their chances that he will miss. And he can't really get by a guy and draw help - he turns around and shoots. Someone one has got to be strong enough and effective enough to bring a double. Just adding Foster to this still just gives you a second elite player. It isn't enough. This thing was flying last year early because we had Shake, Foster, and Chagois. We need a third player to step up somewhere. And that isn't McMurray because of his inconsistency.
JasonB

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:33 pm

JasonB wrote:Douglas brings nothing to the table.

At this point I do think the majority opinion on William Douglas is that he deserves a spot on the bench.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PonyLaw90 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:36 pm

It’s as if I wrote this piece^^^

Can anyone elaborate on Jank’s Refusal to contact recruits or actively pursue them? Let’s be honest, this isn’t Duke basketball or Notre Dame football. I understand losing players to TCU, but Tech and Houston? Come on!
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby ObeyMyDog » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:42 pm

Spoke with a buddy who spoke with some SMU officials tonight. They're going to ride this thing down until it burns to ashes and dust. They don't believe there are long term systemic problems - coaching or otherwise.

Only hope is boosters losing their mind.

How sad
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby Arkpony » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:44 pm

ObeyMyDog wrote:Spoke with a buddy who spoke with some SMU officials tonight. They're going to ride this thing down until it burns to ashes and dust. They don't believe there are long term systemic problems - coaching or otherwise.

How sad

No long term systemic problems”?!!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby RGV Pony » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:47 pm

ObeyMyDog wrote:Spoke with a buddy who spoke with some SMU officials tonight. They're going to ride this thing down until it burns to ashes and dust. They don't believe there are long term systemic problems - coaching or otherwise.

How sad
So short of between one and three people that we all know, does anyone really think "smu officials" would say something other than that to rank and file fans /donors?
RGV Pony

Postby skyscraper » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:51 pm

This game was atrocious and went exactly how I feared.
We are barely gonna crack 10 wins if we keep playing like this.
I bought season tickets with some buddies when Doh was still coach and it's surreal to see us come full circle back to where we were in 2010 -- the 1,500 quietly in attendance and pathetic play on the floor.
skyscraper

Postby PonyLaw90 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:52 pm

Fonzi has his leather jacket on and is walking to his motorcycle. The crowd is cheering. In the distance, a shark fin pierces the water’s surface. Ritchie and Chachi hold each other in a tight embrace.

Please don’t make us jump the shark.....
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby ObeyMyDog » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:53 pm

I get what you are saying, and I am not going to specify.

It's bad. The conversation got testy from somebody who isn't usually testy.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball