PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Mob

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The Mob

Postby solomouse » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:09 pm

I have seen comments but will someone offer up the facts regarding the demise of the Mob...the band seems to have reclaimed the leadership role...has some official action taken place to end the Mob’s existence...or was it a side effect of the reseat farce.
solomouse
Varsity

Re: The Mob

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:26 pm

Can only comment on this season, so that said here are the facts :

To be a member of The Mob, students have to pay $79. This gets them the Nike Mob shirt, tickets to all games, etc. No other requirements.

400+ students paid the $79 to join.

So far it looks like around 360-375 of those stay home vs coming to games.. From what I've counted, around 40 have occupied the section each game.

When game time rolls around, if The Mob section isn't full, any student can enter same.
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:41 pm

RGV Pony wrote:So far it looks like around 360-375 of those stay home vs coming to games.. From what I've counted, around 40 have occupied the section each game.

:shock:

I knew things were trending south when the student section wasn't anywhere close to full for Wichita State last year but this is amazing in a bad way.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:47 pm

Especially when 125-150 pretty much 'fills' that section
RGV Pony

Postby JasonB » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:01 pm

I would suggest that 80% of the student body only shows up when basketball is on fire, and I would also suggest that the die hard Mob folks are very engaged with everything available online with the program, and are probably pretty down and skeptical of where the program is going.

That said, they screwed the mob up with the mob version of the reseat a couple of years ago and it hasn't recovered since.
JasonB

Postby redpony » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:03 pm

hart is like a wet dream- he screws everything up.
redpony

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:05 pm

redpony wrote:hart is like a wet dream- he screws everything up.
How exactly is Hart keeping away 350+ students per game?
RGV Pony

Postby Bergermeister » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:14 pm

THE MOB is over. Sad ending.
Bergermeister

Postby mustang1992 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:16 pm

According to my SMU email, as of 11/7 MOB memberships were still available.
mustang1992
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:40 pm

If the team starts winning big again both adults and students will return.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ponyboy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:26 pm

That's exactly what it comes down to. All will be forgiven. Winning cures cancer.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:45 am

JasonB wrote:I would suggest that 80% of the student body only shows up when basketball is on fire, and I would also suggest that the die hard Mob folks are very engaged with everything available online with the program, and are probably pretty down and skeptical of where the program is going.

That said, they screwed the mob up with the mob version of the reseat a couple of years ago and it hasn't recovered since.

80% of SMU students have NEVER showed up for any athletic event. I assume you were talking about 80% of those who bought MOB memberships. If we could EVER get 80% of our students to show up, Moody would be packed but not sure where they would put that many students. In my day (when you could get 10k into Moody) if you showed up late and couldn't get into the courtside student section, they put you in the rafters behind each goal because those were the only unsold seats.
Charleston Pony

Postby redpony » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:12 am

RGV Pony wrote: How exactly is Hart keeping away 350+ students per game?

I think Jason B covered that in his comment 'That said, they screwed the mob up with the mob version of the reseat a couple of years ago and it hasn't recovered since."

When you take away the enthusiasm. Schedule an OOC that resembles a group of high school teams
and then half of them kicks your butt it is hard for students to put bball ahead of other priorities.
OOH- what has hart done to encourage student participation at the games???
IMO he has ticked off a lot of students just like he has a lot of formerly loyal alums. But then again, I guess our attendance shows different- right?
redpony

Postby PonyTime » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:08 am

When the Godfather leaves and there is no replacement, the Mob slowly dies.

I am hoping Godfather II is ever better than the original, but we need to get the cast right...

You don't replace Marlon Brando with Val Kilmer - go go out and hire Al Pacino.

"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:34 am

redpony wrote:
RGV Pony wrote: How exactly is Hart keeping away 350+ students per game?

I think Jason B covered that in his comment 'That said, they screwed the mob up with the mob version of the reseat a couple of years ago and it hasn't recovered since."

When you take away the enthusiasm. Schedule an OOC that resembles a group of high school teams
and then half of them kicks your butt it is hard for students to put bball ahead of other priorities.
OOH- what has hart done to encourage student participation at the games???
IMO he has ticked off a lot of students just like he has a lot of formerly loyal alums. But then again, I guess our attendance shows different- right?
I agree with the part of your post re the OOC schedule. Winning as well.

As such, that is handled by the HC, not the admin.

As for encouraging student participation, this year's format was arrived at by discussion with students.

Lets look even to football, which we can also agree leaves something to be desired as to student participation.

This season, with student input a tent exists with food, entertainment, and a place tickets, wrist bands etc.

Free food in the stadium.

DJ in the stadium.

200k for the stables - which again haven't been as smashing as any of us would've hoped, but were put up with student input.

Every Monday, the Athletic staff meets with students. Regular meetings with student government, senate, pres; regular meetings with both the IFC and the alumni advisers of the different fraternities. This is true for both athletic department people and Dr Mmeje, the VP of Student Affairs.

That's off the top of my head.
Last edited by RGV Pony on Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
RGV Pony

Next

Return to Basketball