PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Postby PonyTime » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:24 pm

Count me in as someone who would be back on board if Pitino arrives at Moody (frankly, I would settle for EITHER Pitino).

Sadly, we will not land dad Pitino because he will land at a Higher echelon Blue Blood Basketball program eventually...

https://www.pacifictakes.com/2019/1/28/18200661/ucla-and-pac-12-mens-basketball-needs-rick-pitino

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2019/01/05/ucla-basketball-coach-rick-pitino/2490142002/

Even DickieV is a fan and defender...

“He’s never been nailed, never,” Vitale said. “Now, as the leader, he had to pay a price for his bad decisions in hiring assistants. ... But no one has proven to me, beyond a doubt, that he was aware of what transpired in those dorms with (Andre) McGee. And no one has proven to me that he knew anything about what that guy was doing with that kid Bowen’s father.”'
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:41 pm

1) Pitino around the girls on campus is a disaster waiting to happen.

2) Anyone who rips on LB and blindly backs Pitino is full of it. Vitale is a joke.

3) There are other options out there that can turn things around. We can do better than that.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby redpony » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:50 pm

JasonB wrote: 3) There are other options out there that can turn things around. We can do better than that.

perhaps you would like to name a few (better coaches with better records) who are immediately available and who would come to SMU.
redpony

Postby 78pony » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:55 pm

redpony wrote:
JasonB wrote: 3) There are other options out there that can turn things around. We can do better than that.

perhaps you would like to name a few (better coaches with better records) who are immediately available and who would come to SMU.

Yes, please enlighten JasonB
78pony
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:21 pm

Who knows what coaches are interested in moving on, Jason doesn’t need to list anyone.

I don’t recall anyone thinking Buzz Williams would be interested in leaving Marquette for SMU. The Marquette board scoffed at us. Then Buzz leaves for VTTech.

VT was a traditional doormat. Now they are Top 20.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:35 pm

Hire Pitino, worry about the rest later. Just win baby.

And...he uses Twitter every single day.
Pony ^

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:58 pm

Pony ^ wrote:Hire Pitino, worry about the rest later. Just win baby.

You meant Tinder..... right?

Guys: forget Pitino. It’ll never happen.

Never.

There may not be coaches with better records but we need one with at least a little better past.
I don’t want to see our dance squad nicknamed the DP Strippers.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby mrydel » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:03 pm

Better than the WDNWHA BadaBingers.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:06 pm

He will get hired soon by somebody in college basketball. why not us
Pony ^

Postby JasonB » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:41 pm

78pony wrote:
redpony wrote:

Yes, please enlighten JasonB

As I said, we can do better than that. Better than someone who will end up with a mistress, or sleeping with a cheerleader, or whatever else he brings. Better than someone who will skirt the edge. Pretend that he doesn't know about the hookers who showed up on campus.

Does anyone here remember the kid cheating on a test that Larry knew nothing about? How well did that go? Biggest penalty in NCAA basketball history. And what happens when Pitino does it? It will be even worse. And he is so desperate to win and prove himself again, that he will be more than willing to do it.

We have the facilities, the gym, the location, and a good enough conference that will get east coast recognition. We have hired four home runs in a row. Nobody thought we could get June, who was the hottest coach in the country at the time. Then we pulled off LB. Then we got the top assistant in the country in CM. Then it looks like we found a great coach in Dykes.

I don't have a lot of faith in SMU to be able to do many things well, for a variety of reasons. But I actually do have faith that we will pull in a very good coach with a very strong track record. Maybe we stay away from Pitino and get Fred Hoiberg.
JasonB

Postby redpony » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:28 pm

JasonB wrote: We have hired four home runs in a row.

I would not consider the coaches you listed as home runs but that is just my opinion.
I know Pitino carries a lot of baggage. let's see- how was JJ's rep.? knocked up a vball player and you slam Pitino. CM was hardly a home run. the only thing he ran to was the next job. LB was the winner but wasn't too interested in academics for his players. IMO the jury is still out on SD. I like what he has done and what he is doing but will it last? If he is a big winner will he boot scoot out of here like our used car salesman did?

IMO our biggest problem is that our admin. that refuses to lawyer up and defend the school. Just a bunch of chickensheets who only want to build more fountains.
redpony

Postby JasonB » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:46 pm

Considering where SMU was coming from for the past 30 years? Yes, those were home run hires. JJ's rep was sketchy, but he has nothing on Pitino and he ran a clean program.

I was just as pissed about us not fighting the NCAA as everyone else.. The only way it makes sense is if the NCAA gave us a harsh penalty because they thought other stuff was going on and couldn't quite pin anything on us, and our administration thought more was going on and didn't want to give the NCAA more opportunity. But I'm guessing you don't buy into that theory...
JasonB

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:41 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:
Pony ^ wrote:Hire Pitino, worry about the rest later. Just win baby.

You meant Tinder..... right?

Guys: forget Pitino. It’ll never happen.

Never.

There may not be coaches with better records but we need one with at least a little better past.
I don’t want to see our dance squad nicknamed the DP Strippers.

Fun fact: The Louisville dance team coach just got fired last month. Apparently some 40K mysteriously vanished from their budget. Police are investigating. Great program they run there.
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:19 am

My list - McCasland, Oats, Stack and Shaka (if UT pays his buyout).
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:11 am

Why would Hoiberg come here when he can get any P5 job he wants. I see him at Texas and Shaka comes here in reality.

Agree with our administration. We have a bunch of yes men. Hart needs to go or we will just hire another vanilla Jank yes man. OR, Jank won't even be fired.
Pony ^

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball