PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Postby The Falcon » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:50 pm

EastStang wrote:Let's be realistic. Who do we have to beat in recruiting? Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Villanova? ACC schools? SEC schools? Big Ten Schools? Big XII Schools? Big East Schools? PAC 12? We know that Duke, UNC, KU and UK get first dibs. Then the upper tier ACC school and upper tier Big Ten (MU, MSU, UMD). After that, who can we realistically beat out? What is our measuring stick? Certainly, we should aim to have the best class each year in the AAC (depending on needs). Can we realistically aim to have a better class than the teams in the Big XII (except KU)? How about the Big Ten other than UM, MSU and UMD? How about the SEC (except UK and perhaps now Tenn.)? Shaka for example was used to recruiting leftovers and those leftovers loved his style of play. Now 5 star players don't like the word defense and he's having trouble in recruiting. Add in, that we can't get in the cesspool with other schools because, we'll get hammered, because we're SMU. So, that rules out great players with academic or character issues. The question you need to ask yourselves is this? Is it Jank or is it, us? If its us (our unique need to ensure that rules aren't broken), then perhaps no coach will recruit any better than Jank. We are not and have never been a top ten program except two times. And both of those times we got hammered by the NCAA.

Great questions EastStang. I have followed SMU basketball for a long time and I believe that the
breakup of the SWConference is the worst thing to happen to SMU, even more so than the death
penalty. I strongly agree with your recruiting and NCAA points. Yes, SMU basketball can be
exciting and tournament bound. Larry Brown proved that, but he also proved that the NCAA loves
to bash SMU (and him.) We don't have a marquee coach, we don't have a favored conference,
and we don't have a great TV contract so that young men can be seen playing on the national
stage. Your other point about not being able to compete in offering recruits under-the-table
incentives (implied) is right on.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:43 pm

The Falcon wrote:we don't have a great TV contract so that young men can be seen playing on the national stage.

I would disagree with this statement. The American has a great TV deal with ESPN as far as exposure goes.

The only reason more of our nonconference games weren't widely available this season was our horrible scheduling.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby skyscraper » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:48 pm

This is an excellent job and the conference is well-situated to showcase us and other quality basketball teams.
Not sure why all of the usual handwringing is going on over us not being able to compete. We showed we can for the past five years. Go get the correct coach who will work hard and we can be nationally relevant again.
If I didn't think we could be, I wouldn't be as upset as I've been for the past year.
skyscraper

Postby The Falcon » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:07 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
The Falcon wrote:we don't have a great TV contract so that young men can be seen playing on the national stage.

I would disagree with this statement. The American has a great TV deal with ESPN as far as exposure goes.

The only reason more of our nonconference games weren't widely available this season was our horrible scheduling.

The two most important ESPN channels are ESPN and ESPN2 and we were only on
ESPN - 1 time
ESPN2 - 4 times
so we were on ESPNs best networks a total of 5 times

CBSSN - 7 times
ESPNU - 5 times
ESPNews - 2 times
ESPN3 (avail via internet only) 7 times
Fox Sports 1 1 time
PonyUp TV 3 times

Hard core fans can find all of those channels just as I did but the casual fans are watching
Fox, CBS, ABC, ESPN, or ESPN2 so in my opinion, our contract is not that great. But having said
that - I would agree this is probably just a minor point in recruiting, but the other things that
EastStang mentioned definitely impact our recruiting. No doubt even the reseat hurts our recruiting because it impacts Moody Magic and the attendance and the noise and the excitement.

Skyscraper talked about our success in competing over the past 5 yrs. That was a combination of
Larry Brown, David Miller & friends and the renovation of Moody, and Moody Magic. That story is gone with the wind. There aren't many LBs around out there. The reseat seems to have killed Moody Magic. The renovation, practice facilities,and the potential are still there, but an NCAA appearance every year is probably a pipe dream. I would like to play out the season and make changes in March or April if necessary and at this point it would appear that it will be necessary.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:01 pm

One could argue that hiring Buzz Williams would have been better for this program than a combination of LB & tank.

To all those who think SMU can’t perform on the big stage without a HOF coach, that we should hire a Scott Cross type and/or simply lower our expectations, I say ‘Nuts’.
SoCal_Pony

Postby PonyKai » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:17 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:One could argue that hiring Buzz Williams would have been better for this program than a combination of LB & tank.

To all those who think SMU can’t perform on the big stage without a HOF coach, that we should hire a Scott Cross type and/or simply lower our expectations, I say ‘Nuts’.

Although TBF if we fired Jank and hired Scott Cross it might be the absolute laziest most stereotypical SMU hoops hire I can think of.
PonyKai

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:18 am

PonyKai wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:One could argue that hiring Buzz Williams would have been better for this program than a combination of LB & tank.

Although TBF if we fired Jank and hired Scott Cross it might be the absolute laziest most stereotypical SMU hoops hire I can think of.

Scott is a good guy but not who SMU needs in the top spot.
Bergermeister

Postby EastStang » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:03 am

Again, who do we have to beat in recruiting? AAC certainly. Big XII ? My view is that we have to make ourselves the biggest dog in the AAC, year in and year out. And that won't be easy. Temple, UConn, UH, Memphis, WSU, all have lower recruiting standards than we do (and more recent history of success). So, what coach can consistently beat out those teams with our handcuffs applied. And don't figure on getting any one and dones, they're going to the bright lights.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:43 am

The Falcon wrote:

ESPN - 1 time
ESPN2 - 4 times

CBSSN - 7 times
ESPNU - 5 times
ESPNews - 2 times
Fox Sports 1 1 time
PonyUp TV 3 times

Hard core fans can find all of those channels just as I did but the casual fans are watching
Fox, CBS, ABC, ESPN, or ESPN2 so in my opinion, our contract is not that great. But having said
that - I would agree this is probably just a minor point in recruiting, but the other things that
EastStang mentioned definitely impact our recruiting. No doubt even the reseat hurts our recruiting because it impacts Moody Magic and the attendance and the noise and the excitement.

Skyscraper talked about our success in competing over the past 5 yrs. That was a combination of
Larry Brown, David Miller & friends and the renovation of Moody, and Moody Magic. That story is gone with the wind. There aren't many LBs around out there. The reseat seems to have killed Moody Magic. The renovation, practice facilities,and the potential are still there, but an NCAA appearance every year is probably a pipe dream. I would like to play out the season and make changes in March or April if necessary and at this point it would appear that it will be necessary.

I think the conclusion is true about one certain generation. While ESPN3 is more difficult one for even cable cutters to randomly search through, I think overtime that it's going to gain more attraction as ESPN moves into distribution of it's only packages via it's app. I will concede on CBSSN is a more difficult channel to get out of all of them mainly because people have to have the right packages. Fortunately DirecTvNow has that for my package. Of course, PonyUpTV does not count. That is an absolute horrid service. While I made some concessions, overall the industry and customer base are moving more and more toward cable cutters and I think that being on any ESPN channel 1/2/3 etc will be great visibility.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby max the wonder dog » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:00 pm

The Falcon wrote:

ESPN - 1 time
ESPN2 - 4 times

CBSSN - 7 times
ESPNU - 5 times
ESPNews - 2 times
Fox Sports 1 1 time
PonyUp TV 3 times

In the 2017-2018 season, when we were still considered a contender in the AAC, our TV schedule was better:

ESPN - 2
ESPN2 - 4
ESPNU - 6
ESPN News - 3
ESPN3 - 10 (all pre-season games)

CBSSN - 3
Fox Sports SW - 1 (at TCU, their TV contract)

No Pony UP TV

I remember a few years ago when we were the featured Sunday game on CBS Broadcast TV. Play well and we will get ample TV exposure.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby DonaldsTrump » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:34 pm

I will Pardon Mr. Jank for his crimes.
DonaldsTrump

Postby RI Stang » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:41 am

Bergermeister wrote:Scott is a good guy but not who SMU needs in the top spot.

Neither is Shaka or Mike Anderson
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:57 pm

I do agree SMU would be an attractive job assuming we are willing to pay a competitive salary (or at least one that could be reached via incentives). AAC hoops is getting better and I expect UConn and Memphis are going to be back competing at a Top 25 level very soon under their current coaches. I expect programs like Cincy, Houston, Wichita State, Temple, Tulsa and now even UCF and maybe USF to field competitive teams going forward so it won't be easy for SMU to get back to the level we were at under Larry Brown. There are too many schools in the AAC with proud basketball traditions for anyone to think they are going to dominate this league going forward. I just hope the powers that be aren't willing to settle for being just another middle of the pack program but that is certainly where we are right now...and that might be generous depending on how this season plays out.
Charleston Pony

Postby geezerdonk » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:19 pm

The current regime (coach and AD) have totally destroyed a top 25 program. In the last two years they have given five scholarships to walk-ons - five. There is no chance that Douglas, Lamdrum, Ray, Smith or Young will ever make any kind of meaningful contribution to a Division 1 team. The program is so toxic and radioactive they can't find a decent player anywhere in the world to take a scholarship. For the same reason, they will never be able to hire a coach who has a chance to turn the program around. 12 wins this year - if they're lucky. Multiple single digit win seasons to follow with lots of score board humiliations and an empty Moody. Should there be any SMU basketball fans in the future (an unlikely prospect) they will long for the days of John Shumate.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby RGV Pony » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:27 pm

geezerdonk wrote:The current regime (coach and AD) have totally destroyed a top 25 program. In the last two years they have given five scholarships to walk-ons - five. There is no chance that Douglas, Lamdrum, Ray, Smith or Young will ever make any kind of meaningful contribution to a Division 1 team. The program is so toxic and radioactive they can't find a decent player anywhere in the world to take a scholarship. For the same reason, they will never be able to hire a coach who has a chance to turn the program around. 12 wins this year - if they're lucky. Multiple single digit win seasons to follow with lots of score board humiliations and an empty Moody. Should there be any SMU basketball fans in the future (an unlikely prospect) they will long for the days of John Shumate.
Oh there are talented guys who would've committed here. They simply weren't pursued, followed up on, or in some cases completely ignored when they were there for the taking.
RGV Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball