PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:25 pm

Pony81 wrote:FB is in decline all over the country ( especially on the west coast) except Texas and the Southeast..... which explains why the CFP has 2 teams from the Southeast every year and the PAC 12 is so awful …

Look at attendance at the CFP championship game in Santa Clara, Cal.... cross country trip for the teams fans and very little local fan interest thus a 25% empty stadium for the biggest college game of the year.....

Big 10 would dispute your position that football's popularity is declining...and they would really like to have their champion included in the playoffs
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:57 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Pony81 wrote:FB is in decline all over the country ( especially on the west coast) except Texas and the Southeast..... which explains why the CFP has 2 teams from the Southeast every year and the PAC 12 is so awful …

Look at attendance at the CFP championship game in Santa Clara, Cal.... cross country trip for the teams fans and very little local fan interest thus a 25% empty stadium for the biggest college game of the year.....

Big 10 would dispute your position that football's popularity is declining...and they would really like to have their champion included in the playoffs

In Ohio, 45,920 high school students played football in 2012-2013, a steep decline from the 55,402 who played in 2008-2009, data shows.

And the decline in football participation just isn’t at the high school level. The nation’s largest youth football program, Pop Warner, saw the number of youth participating drop 9.5 percent, or roughly 23,000 players, between 2010 and 2012.
SoCal_Pony

Postby PoconoPony » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:54 pm

I have seen a figure of a decline of 500,000 kids nation wide playing organized football since 2008.

In my coal mining area once football crazy part of Pennsylvania many high schools are in trouble with just enough kids to support a team with rosters cut in half during the past 10 years. In addition, at least 4 local schools current thinking about and/or entering into "coop"agreements whereby 2 schools join to have sufficient kids to make up one team.
Last edited by PoconoPony on Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:59 pm

PoconoPony wrote:I have seen a figure of a decline of 500,000 kids nation wide playing organized football since 2008.

A bunch of them were probably no good though.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PoconoPony » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:02 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
PoconoPony wrote:I have seen a figure of a decline of 500,000 kids nation wide playing organized football since 2008.

A bunch of them were probably no good though.

How many may have been great? Those are huge stats and the mathematical %s will hold true.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:19 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:I happen to agree with you that SMU FB is a money pit. I also think FB as a sport is trending down. It’s violent, masculine, expensive, played overwhelmingly by whites & blacks and supported overwhelmingly by whites in a country that is becoming more and more progressive, in debt, ethnically diverse and rightfully concerned about concussions. The game itself is also too long.

This is where SoCal and I depart ways. I'll leave it at that. :D

‘11, I say this within the context of the state of California, where I happen to live.

Back when Mike Cavan was our HC, years ago but still not that far back....
California was ~$100B in debt. Today it is maybe $500B* and growing. *Some say the true pension liabilities alone surpass $1 trillion.
California public schools were approximately 40% white. Today they are 23% and declining, with the highest growing ethnic groups being Hispanic (approaching 60%) and Asian.

Today....
California has 12% of the US population but ~33% of its welfare recipients.
California has the highest poverty rate in America, greater than even Mississippi.
If you make $53k you pay state taxes at a rate of 9.3%
The Teachers’ union out here is large and powerful, also extremely liberal/progressive and most certainly anti-masculinity. The concussion issues related to FB are real (this explains in part the rapid rise in popularity with Lacrosse). Supporting FB to some is akin to supporting gladiator games, boxing or bull fights. It doesn’t help that conservative white males disproportionately support FB by overwhelming numbers.

You add that all up along with the reality that states cannot tax their way out of problems and you can see why I at least think FB is in decline.

California's poverty rate was 13.4% over the last three years, which is lower than Texas' at 14.0%.

These were the worst five states in order:
Louisiana.................. 20.0
Mississippi............... 19.5
New Mexico............... 18.7
West Virginia............ 16.6
Kentucky.................. 16.4

https://www.census.gov/library/publicat ... 0-263.html

The decline in football participation is interesting. We didn't let our son play tackle football until 7th grade and by then he stayed with soccer. I liked lacrosse but people started playing the sport in first grade.

The thing with King Larry is that no one really expected him to be at SMU long term. He was only at the Italian club for less than a year. Was Jank as coach in waiting the best move? With those ten wins in a row when LB was out, it seemed like a good bet.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:21 am

This from the LA Times, confirmed by multiple other sources:

Guess which state has the highest poverty rate in the country? Not Mississippi, New Mexico, or West Virginia, but California, where nearly one out of five residents is poor. That’s according to the Census Bureau’s Supplemental Poverty Measure, which factors in the cost of housing, food, utilities and clothing, and which includes noncash government assistance as a form of income.

Tristate, your numbers don’t factor in that $500 in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi or those other states you listed gets you completely different housing than $500 in California.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:55 am

Meanwhile...back to Jank. Watched the Illinois State vs Bradley game with a neighbor who is a big Redbird fan (that's Illinois State for those who don't know Missouri Valley hoops). Talked about Jank and neighbor told me that while Jank was pretty well thought of at ISU after getting them to 20 wins and post season "most of the time", they were really upset when he left AND took Nic with him, because they would have been loaded and thought they would have had a chance to make a run in the NCAA Tourney that year. His overall impression of Jank as a recruiter was that he was "too nice and too clean" to be really successful on the trail. His highest rated recruit ever was a guy Kansas Coach Self "gave" him when KU went with another guy late in filling their class.
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:03 am

Texas will surely fire Shaka this year, so they will get first pick regardless. Wish we would get moving. Maybe Shaka's name can be thrown into the ring...TERRIBLE X and O's coach, but can recruit. Tremendous success at a smaller school, VCU in the past
Pony ^

Postby mrydel » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:24 am

If anyone wants a fast paced, undisciplined, but fun to watch offense, Mike Anderson from Arkansas will most likely be available after the season.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Arkpony » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:24 am

Is it that serious Mrydel?
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby EastStang » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:37 am

Let's be realistic. Who do we have to beat in recruiting? Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, Villanova? ACC schools? SEC schools? Big Ten Schools? Big XII Schools? Big East Schools? PAC 12? We know that Duke, UNC, KU and UK get first dibs. Then the upper tier ACC school and upper tier Big Ten (MU, MSU, UMD). After that, who can we realistically beat out? What is our measuring stick? Certainly, we should aim to have the best class each year in the AAC (depending on needs). Can we realistically aim to have a better class than the teams in the Big XII (except KU)? How about the Big Ten other than UM, MSU and UMD? How about the SEC (except UK and perhaps now Tenn.)? Shaka for example was used to recruiting leftovers and those leftovers loved his style of play. Now 5 star players don't like the word defense and he's having trouble in recruiting. Add in, that we can't get in the cesspool with other schools because, we'll get hammered, because we're SMU. So, that rules out great players with academic or character issues. The question you need to ask yourselves is this? Is it Jank or is it, us? If its us (our unique need to ensure that rules aren't broken), then perhaps no coach will recruit any better than Jank. We are not and have never been a top ten program except two times. And both of those times we got hammered by the NCAA.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:39 am

Wonder what terms Shaka has at Texa$? If they will still be paying him, might SMU pull another Sonny and go the discount route?
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:44 am

Arkpony wrote:Is it that serious Mrydel?

They are turning on him fast. I think it is NCAA or he goes. New AD will want his own hire.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Wonder what terms Shaka has at Texa$? If they will still be paying him, might SMU pull another Sonny and go the discount route?

It may just be a question of Shaka “finding his level.”
UT is a pretty big stage. VCU, like SMU, is a bit off the radar.

If he got canned he’d be worthy of a hard look.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball