PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:26 am

One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:20 am

Mustangsabu. Unfortunately you are correct in many ways.
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:45 am

Mustangsabu wrote:The only thing SMU athletics does, and college athletics generally, is lose money. I would argue that the mentality that says the fan should be picking up the tab is the loser mentality. American college sports is, in my opinion, lost. I would take the old Moody any day over what we have now.

If you look carefully at what I’m saying you will realize that it contains a healthy dose of reality. I agree that if we hire a big name coach success is possible, I just think that it should be tempered be the concept that if you aren’t going dancing annually, or biannually the Dallas market is likely to get bored and get bored fast. Would SMU athletics ever make money? No chance.

You want my unfiltered loser mentality I would like to see college athletics completely redone so that academic standards mattered, there was no such thing as degree programs tailored for athletes, and so that teams actually represented the student body. I’d join the Ivy League in a heartbeat from that perspective even though it still has issues.

College sports is a business. It shouldn’t be and it’s ruined it. That said, I love my Ponies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry Abu, I still disagree and I guess we can go down the path of agree to disagree.

LB from my recollection took us to the NIT then tourney then tourney again then would have taken us again but post season ban then LB fired and now we are here. LB was that coach that was going to take us there consistently not just a one-off or two-off. Dallas Market was infatuated with our program because of LB. There were celebrities there in a ton of games. People saw it as a place to be seen. After LB, the reseat and now Tank, we are forgetting what we had and it was the dream come true of operating a program in the black versus the red.

To your point except the Ivy League joining, I wished academics was the focal point and not getting athletes and setting them up with a fake degree just to keep the business going. I wish all sports had minor leagues that take out of high school kids so they have that route. That would help they paying players and all that fun stuff if you actually give them an avenue they want. My hope would be that football would on a much more even level playing field with all the 5 stars and some 4 stars going the minor track.

Anyways, to sum up, we had it. We had the golden goose and the admin choose to foie gras it.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby used to be 2 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:54 pm

Be interesting to see how many jump on the Bandwagon next year.
used to be 2
Junior Varsity

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:10 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:You want my unfiltered loser mentality I would like to see college athletics completely redone so that academic standards mattered, there was no such thing as degree programs tailored for athletes, and so that teams actually represented the student body. I’d join the Ivy League in a heartbeat from that perspective even though it still has issues.

College sports is a business. It shouldn’t be and it’s ruined it.

Abu, that is not unfiltered loser mentality, it’s idealistic thinking that everyone knows hasn’t occurred for a very very long time. And yes, at some level it has tarnished these academic institutions.

I happen to agree with you that SMU FB is a money pit. I also think FB as a sport is trending down. It’s violent, masculine, expensive, played overwhelmingly by whites & blacks and supported overwhelmingly by whites in a country that is becoming more and more progressive, in debt, ethnically diverse and rightfully concerned about concussions. The game itself is also too long.

BB on the other hand is an international sport (every top tier school is recruiting these students) without the above mentioned dead weight. It also makes the NCAA over $1B every year during the 3-week tournament.

There is no school in this region (TX, OK, LA) that is a consistent force in BB. No reason it can’t be us, we check almost all the boxes.

This is hardly the time retreat. That is loser mentality.
SoCal_Pony

Postby PonySnob » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:14 pm

Twitter greatness!

Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:34 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:You want my unfiltered loser mentality I would like to see college athletics completely redone so that academic standards mattered, there was no such thing as degree programs tailored for athletes, and so that teams actually represented the student body. I’d join the Ivy League in a heartbeat from that perspective even though it still has issues.

College sports is a business. It shouldn’t be and it’s ruined it.

Abu, that is not unfiltered loser mentality, it’s idealistic thinking that everyone knows hasn’t occurred for a very very long time. And yes, at some level it has tarnished these academic institutions.

I happen to agree with you that SMU FB is a money pit. I also think FB as a sport is trending down. It’s violent, masculine, expensive, played overwhelmingly by whites & blacks and supported overwhelmingly by whites in a country that is becoming more and more progressive, in debt, ethnically diverse and rightfully concerned about concussions. The game itself is also too long.

BB on the other hand is an international sport (every top tier school is recruiting these students) without the above mentioned dead weight. It also makes the NCAA over $1B every year during the 3-week tournament.

There is no school in this region (TX, OK, LA) that is a consistent force in BB. No reason it can’t be us, we check almost all the boxes.

This is hardly the time retreat. That is loser mentality.

"I happen to agree with you that SMU FB is a money pit. I also think FB as a sport is trending down. It’s violent, masculine, expensive, played overwhelmingly by whites & blacks and supported overwhelmingly by whites in a country that is becoming more and more progressive, in debt, ethnically diverse and rightfully concerned about concussions. The game itself is also too long. "

This is where SoCal and I depart ways. I'll leave it at that. :D
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CenTXpony » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:55 pm

PonySnob wrote:Twitter greatness!

CenTXpony
Heisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:07 pm

maxresdefault.jpeg
maxresdefault.jpeg (61.37 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
One Trick Pony

Postby skyscraper » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:18 pm

I will say, I'm impressed with the creativity of some of the fan base with this mess we're in.
skyscraper

Postby CenTXpony » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:19 pm

Gear up for another year of it.
CenTXpony
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:53 pm

skyscraper wrote:I will say, I'm impressed with the creativity of some of the fan base with this mess we're in.

Obviously from the Arts School.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:35 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:I happen to agree with you that SMU FB is a money pit. I also think FB as a sport is trending down. It’s violent, masculine, expensive, played overwhelmingly by whites & blacks and supported overwhelmingly by whites in a country that is becoming more and more progressive, in debt, ethnically diverse and rightfully concerned about concussions. The game itself is also too long.

This is where SoCal and I depart ways. I'll leave it at that. :D

‘11, I say this within the context of the state of California, where I happen to live.

Back when Mike Cavan was our HC, years ago but still not that far back....
California was ~$100B in debt. Today it is maybe $500B* and growing. *Some say the true pension liabilities alone surpass $1 trillion.
California public schools were approximately 40% white. Today they are 23% and declining, with the highest growing ethnic groups being Hispanic (approaching 60%) and Asian.

Today....
California has 12% of the US population but ~33% of its welfare recipients.
California has the highest poverty rate in America, greater than even Mississippi.
If you make $53k you pay state taxes at a rate of 9.3%
The Teachers’ union out here is large and powerful, also extremely liberal/progressive and most certainly anti-masculinity. The concussion issues related to FB are real (this explains in part the rapid rise in popularity with Lacrosse). Supporting FB to some is akin to supporting gladiator games, boxing or bull fights. It doesn’t help that conservative white males disproportionately support FB by overwhelming numbers.

You add that all up along with the reality that states cannot tax their way out of problems and you can see why I at least think FB is in decline.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Pony81 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:48 pm

FB is in decline all over the country ( especially on the west coast) except Texas and the Southeast..... which explains why the CFP has 2 teams from the Southeast every year and the PAC 12 is so awful …

Look at attendance at the CFP championship game in Santa Clara, Cal.... cross country trip for the teams fans and very little local fan interest thus a 25% empty stadium for the biggest college game of the year.....
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:44 pm

College football may be in the decline but it’s decline is about the same pace as global warming. I would think the earth dies from climate change before CFB ends but it will be close.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball