PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: We can't wait until March to fire Jank

Postby stein000012 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:10 am

Musselman.... no brainer.

UNR can’t match what we should be able to pay. What he has done at UNR is beyond impressive.
stein000012
Junior Varsity

Postby RI Stang » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:36 am

stein000012 wrote:Musselman.... no brainer.

UNR can’t match what we should be able to pay. What he has done at UNR is beyond impressive.

Obviously that would be the home run but have to imagine it will be a huge longshot as he will have his choice of any opening most likely. I don't like the idea of someone like Cross - is that really our best answer to Penny and Hurley? I'm hopeful there is an out of the box candidate out there that would be a great fit, but can't come up with anyone at this point. Otherwise, I think I would go with Oates at Buffalo as my top choice, guy has done even better there than Hurley did and his team plays tough and with tons of energy. Recruiting ability would be the question, don't know enough about him to have an opinion there.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:21 pm

Is it Jank or the NCAA Sanctions that have us where we are?
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:35 pm

I guess a third option could be both. But we just have to see how this thing plays out.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:46 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:Is it Jank or the NCAA Sanctions that have us where we are?

Are you serious IPP?

Jank had all the momentum of SMU being one of the Top 10 winningest programs in country, the championships, the sell-outs, Moody Madness, the celebrities in attendance and all he gives us are 300+ nationally ranked players with no P5 offers?

I understand the argument that sanctions hurt our depth, but that is hardly an excuse for the talent he has brought in.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:59 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:Are you serious IPP?

SoCal I am not an expert, but I assumed the NCAA sanctions on scholarships and postseason play had badly...even if it was slowly..was it 9 total scholarships we lost?...damaged our basketball program.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:24 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:

SoCal I am not an expert, but I assumed the NCAA sanctions on scholarships and postseason play had badly...even if it was slowly..was it 9 total scholarships we lost?...damaged our basketball program.

No doubt it hurt us. Still doesn't explain how Jank can't recruit decent talent. And if he can't recruit when we are on top of the world, why would anyone think he can recruit now?

I look at this team, no way they can be champions. Poorly coached, but more importantly, simply not that good.

BTW, at halftime today, SMU had scored 33 points and had only 1 assist.

Seriously doubt that ever occured in LB's entire coaching career.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Fresno Mustang » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:34 am

NY Pony wrote:Jank u, next.

And yes, this sh*tshow has brought me back to the board after a 4 year hiatus. F this.

Good to have you back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby PonySnob » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:59 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:

No doubt it hurt us. Still doesn't explain how Jank can't recruit decent talent. And if he can't recruit when we are on top of the world, why would anyone think he can recruit now?

I look at this team, no way they can be champions. Poorly coached, but more importantly, simply not that good.

BTW, at halftime today, SMU had scored 33 points and had only 1 assist.

Seriously doubt that ever occured in LB's entire coaching career.

Isolation basketball is fun
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby SMUmessageboardScreename » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:46 pm

PonyLaw90 wrote:Can we follow the lead of Memphis? Hire the local hero (Kidd) with skins on the wall who mom/dad watched play his entire career? Can you imagine Kidd recruiting your son in and outside of Texas? If not Kidd, we have to swing for the fences. Everything is in place.

We will be left in the dust in our own conference (let alone the country) if we don’t do something NOW. It’s no longer about Jank, it’s about everything Going on around us. Hurley, Hardaway, Dawkins, Dunleavy vs. Jank? Give me a break. It’s over Johnny! It’s overrrrrr!!!

I can't speak on JKidd as an "in game" coach too much, but I always think it's a bit silly when former players are hired to big time positions without ever having really learned how to coach. It's clearly a different skill that I don't think you just roll into. He's a great basketball mind and I wouldn't want to judge him as a coach until he's been at it for a while.
SMUmessageboardScreename
Recruit

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:58 pm

Kidd would essentially have to be a junior and a senior before he could coach a college team. The real question might be: does he have any eligibility left? We could use a point guard.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:52 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:Kidd would essentially have to be a junior and a senior before he could coach a college team. The real question might be: does he have any eligibility left? We could use a point guard.

And as your MCP mentioned he would have to have a degree
One Trick Pony

Postby smupony94 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:16 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:Kidd would essentially have to be a junior and a senior before he could coach a college team. The real question might be: does he have any eligibility left? We could use a point guard.

Keith’s secretary can take his classes
smupony94

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:40 pm

smupony94 wrote:

Snooped around looking for Keith - I think he completely fell off the radar - -wonder what he's doing..
One Trick Pony

Postby PonySnob » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:55 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:
smupony94 wrote:

Snooped around looking for Keith - I think he completely fell off the radar - -wonder what he's doing..

Smoking?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball