PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Everyone Chill

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Everyone Chill

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:01 am

Jank had 4 or 5 NBA players that were left to him by LB when he made the tournament. Wild Mustang sounds like a JJ apologist with the talking points. And it will require another LB player with NBA potential to help him, that being Jarrey. Not to mention Whitt who is an LB player. And no one can defend how many misses Jank has had on the recruiting trial.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:25 am

Wild Mustang wrote:Comparing Kevin Ollie to Coach Jank is respectfully laughable. You state that Ollie was not a good coach. Really? If my memory is correct Ollie actually won a National Championship and had multiple appearances in the NCAA Tournament. LB only made to the NCAA Tournament one time with SMU. Jank only made it one time to the NCAA Tournament with SMU.

If you want to say that Kevin Ollie road on the coattails of Jim Calhoun. Any coach that follows a legend like LB or Calhoun will typically inherit a program that has had success. Unfortunately LB left SMU in a really bad situation. Everyone wants to ignore this fact. Jank was dealt a pretty bad hand. As an example, asking any D1 Coach to play the majority of the season with 6 healthy scholarship players and compete against teams, and actually win the majority of their games was an incredible display of just how good of a coach Jank is. I cannot even imagine fielding a practice, run plays, etc with so few players.

I definitely wish that we had better talent on the team, but unfortunately there are a number of players who flat out did not pan out during the transition from LB to Jank. Frolling, Wilson, Barefield, Landrum, Douglas come to mind.

There are going to be people on this board that say that Landrum and Douglas were Jank's recruits. Maybe so, but tranistioning from LB to Jank in the middle of the summer was really bad timing and definitely did not help Jank pick from a larger talent pool.

Looking at this year's roster, the Freshman actually look pretty good. Feron Hunt, CJ White, and Jahmar Young Jr. look link they have some real potential. Jank does not have a history of playing Freshman lots of minutes. My hope is that changes later this season. We need to play these guys because these guys are some of the better players on the team.

Wild Unicorn:

No doubt Jank had a tougher "inheritance" and a built in set of excuses with sanctions and injuries.
But there is erosion in the program everywhere you turn. Moody Madness is dead. We are losing games at home we'd never have lost with Brown's guys. Our 2019 recruiting class, the one we've all been anxiously awaiting, is in a shambles. Jank has blown it with four star guys who WANTED to come here and he's ignored three legacies...all top 150 guys. He hired and paid a guy whose son he wanted....who signed with Kentucky.
E-R-O-S-I-O-N!!

So we're a .500 team with no discernable offensive or defensive skill, a few players with potential and a fanbase slowly realizing a change is needed.

That is what is so eerily similar to UCONN. I lurked on their board from the day we became conference mates. Ollie won a natty with Calhoun's guys.
From there he went 11-7 in the AAC the following year to 16-17/9-9 in 2016-17 to 14-18/7-11 last year.
E-R-O-S-I-O-N!!

All during that time Ollie had his passionate defenders.

How they lookin' now?

Timmy Hendrix gotta go.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby ObeyMyDog » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:50 am

Wild Mustang confirmed as Jank burner account and/or family member. My word.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby Wild Mustang » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:41 pm

How is UCONN looking now? Well, I am pretty sure that Danny Hurley is the Head Coach at UCONN and UCONN has already upset a team early this season. I would say that UCONN is in good hands. But by the reason on this board, if Danny Hurley has any success then he is only successful because of he inherited Keven Ollie's guys.

Stop with all the comments about me or anyone else posing as someone else. You and others like you drive away loyal SMU Alums and loyal SMU Fans.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby ojaipony » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:52 pm

LB was the best thing that happened to SMU sports since ED. IMHO. Never before have we been as nationally relevant nor since. It's absolutely unforgiveable that we didn't bend over backwards to keep him. Splash name. Great teacher. Toughness, team ball, fundamentals, playing the right way with core principles. Wish we would've gotten him a couple years sooner.
ojaipony

Postby ObeyMyDog » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:55 pm

That's nonsense. Since Jank inherited this team the quality has decreased steadily and you can clear as day see nothing is coming from the recruiting pipeline to inspire any hope of being back to where LB had us. The UCONN situation is completely different for multiple reasons - the most glaring being they won the freaking NC in 2014 in spite of their coaching and have maintained a high quality of players since then. Nobody said Ollie could not recruit.

Regardless, nobody is getting driven away.... Moody is already empty again, everyone but the die-hards has left.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:35 pm

I think someone indicated that one of the reasons Tubby Smith did not remain at Memphis was because of attendance. But the record will show for itself. Jank will be highly dependent on two LB players to get to the NCAA tournament this year and those two players are Jarry and Whitt. Without them he would not have much hope.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:40 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:That is what is so eerily similar to UCONN. I lurked on their board from the day we became conference mates. Ollie won a natty with Calhoun's guys. From there he went 11-7 in the AAC the following year to 16-17/9-9 in 2016-17 to 14-18/7-11 last year.
E-R-O-S-I-O-N!!

All during that time Ollie had his passionate defenders.

How they lookin' now?

Timmy Hendrix gotta go.

Good info.

That’s why I’m actually rooting for SMU to lose. I’ve seen enough. I want change after this season, not later.

The only positive I see from this rapid collapse is that it will reveal our administration’s vision.

I believe SMU has a legitimate chance to the a dominant player in this region, does SMU???
SoCal_Pony

Postby ponyboy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:00 pm

Rooting for your team to lose? Seems to me to be throwing out the baby with the bath
ponyboy

Postby skyscraper » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:45 pm

I love situations like this because you see who lives in reality and who lives in an alternate universe.
Jank isn't your BF or husband. He's paid to coach and recruit for our school -- and he's not good at either of those things. Moody has turned into a morgue in less than a year and our team is a glorified Dedman pickup squad the way it plays and "executes" tactics.
With Jarrey coming back, we now enter a very dangerous scenario for the longterm health of the program: Jank skates to a .500 record this season and gets retained and is allowed to burn down the house entirely next season.
skyscraper

Postby ponyboy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:12 pm

Huge difference with Jarrey back. If he stays healthy, we are an NIT team. Excited to attend my first game of the season tonight
ponyboy

Postby MV pony » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:37 pm

skyscraper wrote:I love situations like this because you see who lives in reality and who lives in an alternate universe.
Jank isn't your BF or husband. He's paid to coach and recruit for our school -- and he's not good at either of those things. Moody has turned into a morgue in less than a year and our team is a glorified Dedman pickup squad the way it plays and "executes" tactics.
With Jarrey coming back, we now enter a very dangerous scenario for the longterm health of the program: Jank skates to a .500 record this season and gets retained and is allowed to burn down the house entirely next season.

Yep but I doubt JF makes much difference.
MV pony
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:08 pm

IMHO .500 gets him fired.

Supposedly we have top four AAC talent.
I think we’ll play well at times but the recruiting debacles become the Ultimate deciding factor.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:16 pm

With Jarrey back, I do believe this team at least has a starting 5 (talent wise) that should compete with any other starting 5 in the American...but they have looked horrible in the games I've watched and it appears these guys have never played together. That's on the coaching staff. I could buy the excuses if it came down to other teams' benches being stronger than ours because of 'ship reductions, but our starters have looked really bad both offensively and defensively. It will be interesting to see what Jarrey adds, but I'm not expecting miracles from a guy just coming back from a significant injury. My fear is that he will look nothing like the player he was when surrounded by NBA/professional talent.
Charleston Pony

Postby ericdickerson4life » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:59 am

It's time to move on from Jank. Hope we have a list already formed and have contacted some agents.
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball