PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Everyone Chill

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Everyone Chill

Postby used to be 2 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:24 pm

Then by extension, that means Trust In Hart also. Sure?
used to be 2
Junior Varsity

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:25 pm

When Jank won in his first year as head coach that was done with all LB’s players. Problem is as LB’s players graduate the team seems to be on a more downward path including the recruiting classes. Now who does that sound like? The last time this happened with JJ it devastated the program which the football team is still trying to recover from. Another problem is that the upper half of the conference is recruiting better than Jank. And Jank has missed on a lot of good recruits. This is not the MVC or the Sunbelt Conference. If the goal is the NIT then fine but if the goal is the NCAA tournament then there is cause for concern.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:17 pm

We ain’t makin the NIT
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:27 pm

With the low rip losses that SMU has had I realize that about the only way the team makes it to the NCAA tournament is by winning the conference tournament. But one thing Coach Jank’s background shows is that he can get a team to the NIT. If that is good enough for SMU fans he can do it.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:32 pm

This is a program many experts had as a potential Final Four team just two seasons ago.

Now we lose to Lipscomb at home in front of 3000. Face it - it's over.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:40 pm

Expectations may have to be adjusted. Maybe an NIT bid every year should be the expectation?
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby MV pony » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:58 am

Rebel10 wrote:Expectations may have to be adjusted. Maybe an NIT bid every year should be the expectation?

Maybe giving up sports should be the goal!
MV pony
All-American

Postby Wild Mustang » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:05 pm

Isn't it funny how people think of recruits as Larry Brown's guys vs Jank's guys. Jank was on Larry Brown's Staff right? When LB was coach, LB and staff missed on recruits too. Happens every year. Everyone continues to pile on Jank. I don't get it.

Jank was not the Head Coach when our program was hit with recruiting restrictions and loss of scholarships. Unfortunately Jank inherited a pretty bad situation. The fact that SMU has remained relevant over the past 2 seasons is amazing, credit to Coach Jank. Jank actually fielded a team with 6 scholarship players and somehow was more than competitive. That is again credit to Coach Jank. Many people on ponyfans.com have a short memory.

My hope is that once the recruiting restrictions and loss of scholarships comes to an end maybe Jank will get a fair shot at running a Division 1 Basketball Team (with no restrictions). Pony Up!
Last edited by Wild Mustang on Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby mtrout » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:06 pm

MV pony wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Expectations may have to be adjusted. Maybe an NIT bid every year should be the expectation?

Maybe giving up sports should be the goal!

New master plan has the tennis center being turned into dorms (kidding...i think).
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby TDMustang » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:15 pm

Is WildMustang a Tim Jankovich burner account?

Methinks yes...
TDMustang
Junior Varsity

Postby Wild Mustang » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:23 pm

That is funny. Nope. I am just an SMU Alum who has multiple family members who have attended SMU. I am just an SMU Alum who unfortunately went to school when Quami Brown, Paul Zorad, Jabari Hearn, Troy Matthews, and other jokes were given scholarships at SMU. That was hard to watch.
Those guys were pathetic. If anyone wants to remember the days when SMU was a joke, just think back before LB and Jank showed up.

I am grateful for what LB and Jank have built at SMU. We actaully have a Basketball Program now. The job now is to still stay relevant in spite of the scholarship restrictions. Hard to do for any coach. Looking forward to the days where SMU will be on level field again with other Basketball Programs (at least in terms of available scholarships).
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyTime » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:40 pm

Wild Mustang wrote:That is funny. Nope. I am just an SMU Alum who has multiple family members who have attended SMU. I am just an SMU Alum who unfortunately went to school when Quami Brown, Paul Zorad, Jabari Hearn, Troy Matthews, and other jokes were given scholarships at SMU. That was hard to watch.
Those guys were pathetic. If anyone wants to remember the days when SMU was a joke, just think back before LB and Jank showed up.

I am grateful for what LB and Jank have built at SMU. We actaully have a Basketball Program now. The job now is to still stay relevant in spite of the scholarship restrictions. Hard to do for any coach. Looking forward to the days where SMU will be on level field again with other Basketball Programs (at least in terms of available scholarships).

While I do appreciate your opinion and defense of Jank, I don't think that throwing the Mid-90s teams under the bus is fair. I know for a fact that some of those players are on this board and I am of the opinion that those guys perhaps worked harder than the soft team that you see on the court this year. Were they as talented? Perhaps not. But they sure had to play a murderers row of opponents each and every week. I was at Moody to see those guys take on top 10 teams like Kansas, Arkansas, Oklahoma State, etc - and they were over matched - but gave it their all.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ObeyMyDog » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:59 pm

Wild Mustang wrote:That is funny. Nope. I am just an SMU Alum who has multiple family members who have attended SMU. I am just an SMU Alum who unfortunately went to school when Quami Brown, Paul Zorad, Jabari Hearn, Troy Matthews, and other jokes were given scholarships at SMU. That was hard to watch.

Lol this is wild. SMU is objectively not relevant whatsoever at the level it is recruiting right now. That's all Jank and staff. Furthermore, falling to this level from the status the program was just two short years ago is staggeringly bad. Look, at first I tricked myself in to thinking Jank might be the guy - but it is so blindingly obvious he and his staff must go. How is this up for debate? It is so similar to June I don't see how people can't see it.

The bottom line is this - he is offering his oh so valuable scholarships he apparently doesn't have enough of to kids with zero quality offers. Literally zero. We aren't on our way back to Doh years; we are there. We have to signal to coaching market that we are serious and won't tolerate this while we still have some semblance of national prestige. But we won't, I'm confident in that.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:32 am

I watched closely on the UCONN Boneyard mb as their fans went through the same thing with Ollie.
Some folks saw it earlier than others. Some defended Ollie until the bitter end.

Ollie was not a good bench or practice coach. His teams played hero ball. But he COULD recruit...mostly on Calhoun's coattails.

The difference here is that Jank not only can't coach....he can't recruit either. He rode LB's coattails as long as he could but the edge of the cliff is in sight and we're still driving towards it. Gotta pull the plug.

I think the answer will be clear to almost all during the conference schedule. We do have a few good players...worth trying to hang onto. But we should be naming a new coach as the NCAA and NIT tourneys are ending.

I don't see us being in either. I see a .500 record on the horizon.

We need a marquee-name coach again if we are going to have any chance at renewing Moody Madness, competing in the AAC and getting to the dance.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Wild Mustang » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:49 am

Comparing Kevin Ollie to Coach Jank is respectfully laughable. You state that Ollie was not a good coach. Really? If my memory is correct Ollie actually won a National Championship and had multiple appearances in the NCAA Tournament. LB only made to the NCAA Tournament one time with SMU. Jank only made it one time to the NCAA Tournament with SMU.

If you want to say that Kevin Ollie road on the coattails of Jim Calhoun. Any coach that follows a legend like LB or Calhoun will typically inherit a program that has had success. Unfortunately LB left SMU in a really bad situation. Everyone wants to ignore this fact. Jank was dealt a pretty bad hand. As an example, asking any D1 Coach to play the majority of the season with 6 healthy scholarship players and compete against teams, and actually win the majority of their games was an incredible display of just how good of a coach Jank is. I cannot even imagine fielding a practice, run plays, etc with so few players.

I definitely wish that we had better talent on the team, but unfortunately there are a number of players who flat out did not pan out during the transition from LB to Jank. Frolling, Wilson, Barefield, Landrum, Douglas come to mind.

There are going to be people on this board that say that Landrum and Douglas were Jank's recruits. Maybe so, but tranistioning from LB to Jank in the middle of the summer was really bad timing and definitely did not help Jank pick from a larger talent pool.

Looking at this year's roster, the Freshman actually look pretty good. Feron Hunt, CJ White, and Jahmar Young Jr. look link they have some real potential. Jank does not have a history of playing Freshman lots of minutes. My hope is that changes later this season. We need to play these guys because these guys are some of the better players on the team.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball