PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Semi Ojeleye Impacting Games For Boston Celtics

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby PonyPride » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:48 am

From SMUMustangs.com:

By Andy Lohman

With just under three minutes remaining in the first quarter against the Dallas Mavericks, Semi Ojeleye jogged to the scorer's table at American Airlines Center wearing the classic green and white of the Boston Celtics. The former SMU men's basketball star had returned to Dallas as an NBA player for the second time.

On the first offensive possession after checking in for Jaylen Brown, Ojeleye notched an assist by swinging the ball to Marcus Smart, who drained a three.

Ojeleye, who was both the 2017 American Athletic Conference Player and Scholar-Athlete of the Year in his lone season playing for SMU men's basketball, doesn't necessarily fill the stat sheet for Boston. But the second-year pro plays smart basketball that contributes to Celtics wins, earning him consistent minutes off the bench.

"He's really reliable," Celtics head coach Brad Stevens said before the Nov. 24 game at the Dallas Mavericks. "He does every right thing that you ask, all of the time."

After scoring eight points and grabbing five rebounds in a season-high 24 minutes at Atlanta on Friday, Nov. 23, Ojeleye played 19 minutes the next night in Dallas. Back-to-backs are notoriously tough on NBA players' bodies, especially with travel in between games, but Ojeleye's play earned him significant playing time.

"It changes from night to night," Ojeleye said of his role on the Celtics. "My job is to stay ready and go in there and try to impact the game."

Ojeleye impacted the game immediately when he entered during the first quarter against the Mavericks. After dishing an assist to Smart, he set a screen that freed Al Horford for a three. Defensively, he guarded Harrison Barnes and Wesley Matthews and grabbed a rebound to help fuel an 8-2 Celtics run to end the quarter.

In the second quarter, Ojeleye used his 6-foot-7 frame to secure an offensive rebound that led to two made free throws for Brown. By the time he returned to the bench right before halftime, he had produced a +8 margin in 11 solid minutes.

As a junior on the Hilltop in 2016-17, Ojeleye averaged 19.0 points and 6.9 rebounds, leading the Mustangs to a 30-5 record, the AAC regular-season and tournament championships, and an NCAA Tournament berth. Playing in Dallas again held significance for Ojeleye.

"It's the city where my post-high school career took off a little bit; that was my step to get into the NBA," Ojeleye said. "A lot of good memories here, a lot of good people here that I want to see when I come back."

Before the Celtics left for New Orleans to play the Pelicans, Ojeleye was able to get some shots up at Moody Coliseum with his old coaches.

As a rookie in 2017-18, Ojeleye averaged 2.7 points and 2.1 rebounds in 73 games. He also played in 17 playoff games as the Celtics came within one game of making the NBA Finals. That experience has translated to a level of comfort in his second year.

"It's familiar now, it takes some of the stress off," Ojeleye said. "You get used to doing what you need to do out there and being in the right spot. It makes it a lot easier."

Ojeleye's best performance this season came in his first career start. Against Milwaukee on Nov. 1, he tallied 10 points, five rebounds and two steals to hand the surging Bucks their first loss of the year, 117-113.

"You always have that mindset of confidence and that's the biggest thing in this league," Ojeleye said. "If you're fortunate enough to get here, it's because you're good enough. From there, I think it's about mentally who has the toughness to realize they're one of the best players in the league."

Although he didn't attempt a shot against the Mavericks, his motor and basketball IQ were on full display in uptown Dallas. Immediately upon entering the game in the third quarter, Ojeleye hustled to a missed shot, forcing a Maverick player to knock the ball out of bounds and retain possession for the Celtics.

"We have a lot of talent already, so when it comes to me, try to make the right play," Ojeleye said of what he brings to the Celtics. "Just try to bring energy. Communicate with guys, try to get guys in the right spot, be in the right spot defensively."

Wearing the number 37, playing in the town where his college career took off, the 37th pick in the 2017 NBA Draft showcased exactly why he's been such a valuable role player for the Celtics in his first two seasons.

"Exactly," Ojeleye said if being drafted 37th is why he chose the number 37. "Remember where you started."
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Semi Ojeleye Impacting Games For Boston Celtics

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:33 am

He played 5 minutes in last night's win against New Orleans
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball