PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Official game thread: Lamar

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Official game thread: Lamar

Postby PonyPride » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:43 pm

Field goal percentage

Lamar
First half: 35
Second half: 40
Game: 38.5

SMU
First half: 56
Second half: 58
Game: 56.6
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:44 pm

HorsePower wrote:For a guy who seems to have great athleticism, Hunt seems OK with layups when others might be going nuts trying to dunk on people. Timid? Or simply taking what's there?

I like guys who don't always have to put on a show...just get the job done. Hunt is going to be a good one for SMU. Needs to get stronger and work on his D
Charleston Pony

Postby ObeyMyDog » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:54 pm

Hunt is going to be great
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:18 pm

Nice to win comfortably against weak opponents. It’s definitely better than struggling against weak opponents. Regarding the comment about only being able to play whoever is on your schedule, that is true but not an excuse if you are the one who put together the schedule. Also, no question any team will look better with its star player, but we should have enough talent on the roster to be undefeated with the schedule we’ve played. Our 4-3 record is atrocious and due to poor recruiting, not bad luck. Last season I acknowledge we did have bad luck with injuries since we were an NCAA tournament lock before we lost our two NBA prospects to injuries, but we shouldn’t have been as bad as we were without them. I really do hope we manage to turn the season around with Jarrey and land a couple of top 150 players by way of hs, Juco, or transfer.
mustangxc

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:34 am

Played better. I thought the team would have beaten Lamar by more than 14 imo. Still believe the team in going to have to go undefeated from this point on or win the conference tournament to make the NCAA tournament.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ponyboy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:00 am

Very easily could have beaten them by 30. Lots of scrubs played. And Jarrey was only giving 50% to ease back into it. Man, it’s great to have him back. Special leader
ponyboy

Postby JasonB » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:57 am

- Much better offensive movement off the ball as well as ball movement. That is what we are used to seeing from an SMU team.

- Interesting to see how much they shortened the bench in the first half. I think the other players are going to have to show that they can fit in offensively with the motion and quick ball movement before they are allowed to play real minutes. Will be interesting to see if Douglas, White, or Young can make the leap as the season goes along.

- I wonder if Foster practicing allowed them to up the tempo a bit in practice and play more 5 v 5, and that is what led to the offensive improvement. Excited to see if that continues to step up over the next week.

- Defensive communication improved, be we are still a really poor defensive team, and that is going to get taken advantage of by better opponents. ECU struggled to beat them, but GT was up 22 at half. Would still like to see us score in the 80s against this opponent, but more concern is that we should be holding Lamar to somewhere closer to 50-55 points.
JasonB

Postby RI Stang » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:55 am

JasonB wrote:- Much better offensive movement off the ball as well as ball movement. That is what we are used to seeing from an SMU team.

- Interesting to see how much they shortened the bench in the first half. I think the other players are going to have to show that they can fit in offensively with the motion and quick ball movement before they are allowed to play real minutes. Will be interesting to see if Douglas, White, or Young can make the leap as the season goes along.

- I wonder if Foster practicing allowed them to up the tempo a bit in practice and play more 5 v 5, and that is what led to the offensive improvement. Excited to see if that continues to step up over the next week.

- Defensive communication improved, be we are still a really poor defensive team, and that is going to get taken advantage of by better opponents. ECU struggled to beat them, but GT was up 22 at half. Would still like to see us score in the 80s against this opponent, but more concern is that we should be holding Lamar to somewhere closer to 50-55 points.

Radio guys said Foster has been practicing for awhile, so that 5 on 5 excuse Jank loves to throw out there every time he talks to ANYONE remains a load of crap
RI Stang
All-American

Previous

Return to Basketball